DC - Postmatch

My 2 cents:

Yangel being back: Wow. Serious difference maker. I always knew he was good, but him and Ringer in the MF (when he plays well, which uhhhhh, what happened today?!) are a force.

Ring (+ the entire back line) has no rhythm: Ring let his frustration get the best of him. Perhaps I'm not giving DC enough credit, but he was not his self today, and it showed from start to finish. The back line show moments of talent, but it's all individualistic, and they're just not on the same page much of the time. Is Kreis coaching them?

Eloi Amagat: I don't want to disparage, but I'm having a hard time understanding why he's playing on this team. Perhaps he's more experienced, but I've got to think that Tommy (take a drink) or some of the others would gel more given their time with the club?

Sean Johnson's drop: Sean! What's going on! You're good, dude! Like, one of the best in the league. It's a bummer to see a position which was a strength become a bit worrisome. Ayyyyyyy.

Reactions: The Toe and adam
Now that I am home and thawed out, I had a few more thoughts.

It was at least nice to see the team create some chances that weren’t long distance shots from outside the 18, or constant crossing into the box.

Medina was constantly bodied off the ball. It was so frustrating to have him get the ball, and almost immediately lose it to a DC player.

The stadium is very nice, but it is very steep. And it seems bare bones/minimalist. Getting into and out of the stadium is a hassle. Security lines took forever, and then leaving, there was only one staircase to use for the entire upper sideline sections. But DC fans are very happy with it, although they were probably going to be happy with anything that wasn’t RFK.

If that was the last time I get to see Villa live (I hope it isn’t), at least I got a goal

I get how a 4-4-2 diamond works in theory but your wide play has to be perfect or you are easy to defend. I was hoping for familiarity to get us there but I've lost hope. I don't think we are drilling our runs and our timing. We had so many numbers centrally that we were getting in each other's way. With no wide outlets up front we turned backwards time after time. Ok, DC said, we will get into position then. We looked so much better as a 4-3-3. All of a sudden we knew where to be, where to run, where to pass.

Acosta is a fucking baller. The kinda signing that makes me wonder about CFG's vaunted scouting network. Now that he has better pieces around him he is clowning.

Herrera how we missed you. Your through balls only come off 33% of the time but that's still better than a backwards pass succeeding 100% of the time. Especially when you are an octopus and win 90% of those 50/50s.

Hoping that with Herrera and Maxi back we stick to a 4-3-3 and coast on the muscle memory we accumulated under Paddy.

Really disappointed that the penalty shout wasn't reviewed at the end there. Mata clearly had his foot stepped on and IMO should have been a PK.

Sure, taking away his yellow really doesn't do anything, and if we scored from the spot, we still lose 3-2, but here's why it's important.

DC is 3 points back and 2 behind on GD. If we were to lose next week, Philly jumps ahead of us, and if DC were to win, they would tie us on points and at the very least tie us on GD (we are currently +2 on them). Next tiebreaker is goals scored where they have scored 60 and we have scored 56.

A goal from the spot would put DC 4 back from us, and we would have a shot at finishing above them on GD.

Izzy played for Libya 5 days ago. Dome was being a petulant ass, but on the substance he made sense.
Also my periodic reminder that our roster is overrun with second and third tier international team players at the perfect Venn diagram intersection of maximum unavailability and limited added value. We had 3 whole weeks off and we still lost availability to benefit teams I could give a rat’s fuck about.

Also my periodic reminder that our roster is overrun with second and third tier international team players at the perfect Venn diagram intersection of maximum unavailability and limited added value. We had 3 whole weeks off and we still lost availability to benefit teams I could give a rat’s fuck about.

(Waiting for the Libyan National Team supporter on here to go ape shit on mgarbowski mgarbowski ) (PS, he’s probably BFFs with the Luxembourg supporter)

(Waiting for the Libyan National Team supporter on here to go ape shit on mgarbowski mgarbowski ) (PS, he’s probably BFFs with the Luxembourg supporter)
I bear no ill will to the Libyan national team. That would be inconsistent with not caring. But losing player days to any national team besides the US is something I’d rather not do unless the player is top 100 in the world.

Going into this game, I originally felt pretty good. We were an elite team to start the year, and now that we finally have a rested, healthy squad, we should do well.

Then I put aside my gut instinct and actually thought about things. I remembered how bad we’ve played on the road. How poor we’ve been lately when there is no reasonable excuse. I recalled being completely outclassed in our last game by Minnesota Fucking United - and they were missing their two best center mids. I put that together with the fact that DC has been playing at an elite level for 2 months, and I predicted a 3-1 loss.

We just aren’t very good right now at all.

has anyone asked Dome what he believes our style of play has been because I am so confused at what he is trying to accomplish with the team? I understood PV's play style and while it had its flaws it produced enjoyable soccer and lead to good results generally. Has anyone gotten a clear non-bs answer from dome?

has anyone asked Dome what he believes our style of play has been because I am so confused at what he is trying to accomplish with the team? I understood PV's play style and while it had its flaws it produced enjoyable soccer and lead to good results generally. Has anyone gotten a clear non-bs answer from dome?

I want to think he's keeping that a secret and when the playoff comes we'll see a Guardiola super tactician style of football.

I like to dream from time to time.

EDIT: I don't think Dome is suited to be a manager in any league. He doesn't inspire confidence.

Last edited:
I think we know what he believes. If we had the fluency / talent to play keepy-ups around opposition at the 18 the way the best teams in Europe do, we would be golden, but we don't or won't, at least this season. It seems more of a judgment call about how likely the outcome is, rather than what the outcome is itself.

Reactions: adam
That was an inexcusable first half. Listen, we expected rust. We got far more than just rust. They were not ready to compete.

The second half was better in that we did generate some chances and if it weren't for that BS penalty call (seriously, how is that a penalty on Ring) we would have been within one goal with 15 minutes left.

They'll probably play well next weekend because home game, but realistic hopes for the playoffs are minimal. We know this roster is good enough, but they haven't shown it since July. They're capable of making a run, but there's nothing to indicate that's going to happen.