Didier Drogba Linked To Nycfc

This isn't mls 2007 where we can get guys in their really late 30's and expect to ride to the championship. Teams are bringing in younger quality players. Having one player that is 37, fine we can live with that. But when you only have 3 dp spots, it isn't wise to spend those two spots on 2 guys like that. This league is evolving, and we will be left in the dust if we think 38 year old players can still come in and dominate this league, because they won't. trust me.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
This isn't mls 2007 where we can get guys in their really late 30's and expect to ride to the championship. Teams are bringing in younger quality players. Having one player that is 37, fine we can live with that. But when you only have 3 dp spots, it isn't wise to spend those two spots on 2 guys like that. This league is evolving, and we will be left in the dust if we think 38 year old players can still come in and dominate this league, because they won't. trust me.

Everybody is different -- and every body is different. The variables of conditioning, diet, motivation, and innate physiological attributes are unique to each individual player.

All people do not age at the same rate. So if you're going to assert that Drogba (or anyone else) is past it, you're going to have to do much better than merely citing his age. Senna, Blanco, Giggs, Scholes, Maldini, Sheringham, and others have played at a high level after reaching advanced ages. It's reasonable to think that Drogba could do it, too.

Everybody is different -- and every body is different. The variables of conditioning, diet, motivation, and innate physiological attributes are unique to each individual player.

All people do not age at the same rate. So if you're going to assert that Drogba (or anyone else) is past it, you're going to have to do much better than merely citing his age. Senna, Blanco, Giggs, Scholes, Maldini, Sheringham, and others have played at a high level after reaching advanced ages. It's reasonable to think that Drogba could do it, too.
Drogba is past it.

Even if one think that Drogba looks slow in Premier League matches (which itself is a highly rebuttable assertion), one cannot possibly conclude from that observation that he will be ineffective against MLS-level competition.

Drogba is in outstanding shape. There's no good reason to doubt that he'd be one of the best strikers in the league if he came over this summer.
Yeah, and Villa was perfectly healthy this time last year too..... How is that working out??????

Really????? So you are saying that a 37 year old is no more prone to injury that a 23 year old? Before you answer that, let me now how your bones feel when you get out of bed tomorrow compared to when you were 23.......;)

Even if one think that Drogba looks slow in Premier League matches (which itself is a highly rebuttable assertion), one cannot possibly conclude from that observation that he will be ineffective against MLS-level competition.

Drogba is in outstanding shape. There's no good reason to doubt that he'd be one of the best strikers in the league if he came over this summer.
Whether or not he would be one of the best strikers in the league is irrelevant because it depends on how he will play with our team. I have no doubt that if you switched Villa with Drogba for Chelsea Villa would look a whole lot better than Didier, and you see how hard of a time he is having in the MLS.

The only play style that fits Drogba anymore is a long ball up to him for him to chest down. He can't make runs anymore. Just because the standard of defending in the BPL is better than the MLS it doesn't make the players faster.

His shooting has gotten terrible. His touch has gotten terrible. Chelsea would honestly be better playing with 10 men most of the time. Like you said, it will be a completely different team in a completely different league, but from what I have seen from Drogba this year it doesn't seem like he will be amazing, regardless of what league he ends up in.

I fail to see the direction they are planning to take our team if they are shooting for old players that can't play hard soccer for 90 full minutes.

Reactions: Kjbert

How so? He left Chelsea, went to an average team in an average league, came back for one season because of Mourinho, has played pretty terrible, and is now leaving to a much inferior league, or retiring. Plus most NYCFC fans are looking for a player that can be up there with the best players in the league, week in and week out.. not players that will struggle to play every game and struggle to play the majority of every game. Sometimes its players like Robbie Keane that might not have reached the same heights, but are a bit younger and have the drive to do better.

Really????? So you are saying that a 37 year old is no more prone to injury that a 23 year old? Before you answer that, let me now how your bones feel when you get out of bed tomorrow compared to when you were 23.......;)

The point that you are ignoring is that there is no such thing as "a 23-year-old" or "a 37-year-old". There are only individuals. You can know nothing of substance about a player just by knowing his age.

And it is absurd to say that a guy who was amongst the best strikers in the world only three years ago is not even of MLS quality, especially given that he is still playing and occasionally starting for this season's Premier League champions.

Finally, I am in fact in better shape now, a few months shy of 50, than I was when I was 23. I bicycled 6400 miles last year; I couldn't have done that back then.

The only play style that fits Drogba anymore is a long ball up to him for him to chest down. He can't make runs anymore. Just because the standard of defending in the BPL is better than the MLS it doesn't make the players faster.

His shooting has gotten terrible. His touch has gotten terrible.
Hmm. I doubt the idea that Drogba could not make runs at all in MLS. He's lost a step in pace, but he's lost nothing in his ability to control the ball. Also undiminished is his strength. While Drogba won't make the runs that Shelton can, I would expect that he could get by plenty of defensive midfielders and defenders.

I fail to see the direction they are planning to take our team if they are shooting for old players that can't play hard soccer for 90 full minutes.
Here you have a point. While Drogba is my all-time favourite player, and while I firmly believe that he's well in excess of MLS quality, I don't necessarily think that he'd be right for this struggling team. Even I admit that he'd be unlikely to play 90 minutes very often (though both Raul and Senna played the full 90 for the Cosmos in their last match).

Again, show me a better free agent option. There are a bunch of guys on a free this summer but how many of those would play here? 3? Drogba might be better.

And I've watched De Rossi recently. More like seen him on the bench. If you think Drogba can't play in MLS, then you better admit that De Rossi should be in the NASL because his legs are shot.

Personally, I would love to see Drogba here. One of my five favorite athletes of all time and my favorite soccer player.

A front of Drogba, Villa, Mix and Lampard is filthy in almost any league and especially in the MLS, even if it would have been better a few years ago. Throw in Shelton, Mullins, Nemec, Ballouchy (who has just a knack for being in the right spot), Poku and Grabavoy and we're talking about a pretty solid and consistent attack no matter who is in.

Either way, hurry up Frank.

Drogba can't play in MLS? That's a good joke.. I'm all for MLS growing, but we need to stop thinking it's the best league in the world.. So happens the "best" league is the one Drogba would be coming from..
The "best" league is where it has been proven that he can't hack it anymore. Nobody here thinks MLS is the best league in the world, or anywhere close to it. We do know however that an old guy who can't hack it in the EPL anymore will often struggle over here as well. It's been proven over the years. Just because you are stepping down on the level of play, you will still be faced with young players who are faster and stronger and last longer than you. Plus, MLS is an extremely physical league which is not well suited for older players anymore.
It's not as if his skill alone has dropped off, which would make it more likely for him to succeed in MLS, but his physical ability has dropped off. When it comes to skill, EPL and MLS has a massive gap. When it comes to physical ability, that gap is MUCH smaller, smaller than the gap between EPL and Drogba.

The "best" league is where it has been proven that he can't hack it anymore. Nobody here thinks MLS is the best league in the world, or anywhere close to it. We do know however that an old guy who can't hack it in the EPL anymore will often struggle over here as well. It's been proven over the years. Just because you are stepping down on the level of play, you will still be faced with young players who are faster and stronger and last longer than you. Plus, MLS is an extremely physical league which is not well suited for older players anymore.
It's not as if his skill alone has dropped off, which would make it more likely for him to succeed in MLS, but his physical ability has dropped off. When it comes to skill, EPL and MLS has a massive gap. When it comes to physical ability, that gap is MUCH smaller, smaller than the gap between EPL and Drogba.
Exactly this. Plus nobody said Drogba isn't good enough for the league. Just that he isn't our top pick for a DP.

Who are you thinking of? I can think of two, Dempsey and Henry, who were washed up in the prem, then dominated MLS.

Who are you thinking of? I can think of two, Dempsey and Henry, who were washed up in the prem, then dominated MLS.
The difference with them was that they had fallen a step behind of the Prem, but most likely could have remained. The still had great skill and the ability to make runs for 90 minutes, especially Dempsey. Big difference from someone who most likely can't play his best for 90'. Believe it or not, 90' in MLS is the same amount of minutes as 90' in the EPL.
Of course Didier can and will score goals in MLS, but he will likely command a multi-million dollar salary and would take up one of our 3 DP spots. Quality organizations, which I would like to prove we are one of, can do MUCH better with those resources than a washed up Drogba. Clubs like TFC can bring in guys like Giovinco, we can and should be able to do the same.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Kjbert
Woahhhh...Dempsey was washed up in EPL? No way. His club situation wasn't great, but it wasn't that he was no longer any good. He played in like 35 games for Spurs his last year there, despite his injuries.

When he went back on loan and played like crap, he was also playing like crap in MLS. As we saw when it came WC time, he still had it.

He'd start for at least half the EPL.