Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Completely fair. 2018 was supposed to be the year all the pieces Vieira put together (and removed from the Kreis era) would be enough to challenge for trophies. We did very much looked like a team that could before the rumors of Arsenal and then Nice.

I don't want to wait another 2.5 years until Dome gets all his pieces to build a MLS Cup contender team.

Would Herrera even fit into his strategy? What is his strategy? How is he trying to get the team to play?

All fair concerns. I do still think this is a team that can contend for MLS Cup. It's not the best team that wins MLS Cup, it's the hottest team. And if we get hot at the right time, we definitely have the pieces. We played Atlanta tougher than anyone, we can beat the Red Bulls, and I'll take my chances against Columbus. Why not us?

Your last sentence: Completely agree with you on this. Far too much tinkering by Dome lately leaves me with not a clue how to answer those.

All fair concerns. I do still think this is a team that can contend for MLS Cup. It's not the best team that wins MLS Cup, it's the hottest team. And if we get hot at the right time, we definitely have the pieces. We played Atlanta tougher than anyone, we can beat the Red Bulls, and I'll take my chances against Columbus. Why not us?

Your last sentence: Completely agree with you on this. Far too much tinkering by Dome lately leaves me with not a clue how to answer those.
I think he's converging upon a style that aims to recover any ball that goes into the center of the pitch. He wants our forwards to stretch the backline as much as he can. He trusts the players to figure out how to move in and around the 18.

The only thing that makes me doubt that he aims to stick with this formation is the absentee list. With Medina / Berget / ITS back, he has a lot more firepower up front and we maybe revert to the 4-3-3. Or maybe Villa drops into the false 9 position that Maxi occupies now and Maxi becomes the 8 and we continue with this 4-4-2 diamond.

I thought the team looked somewhere between 55-65% towards fully understanding how to play this system. Much more progress than I thought I would see. Who knows what happens to our momentum during the next lengthy break, though.

Dome was complaining about playing through the international break and odd schedule with weeks off over a month ago when he first came on. I think he saw this would be an issue, and rightfully so. Still the team played admirably and I like how they blooded Sands in the USL in preparation for the last 2 matches and now based on Dome’s comments the rest of the season. I think with all this time off for installs and our players back healthy, plus the addition of Sands into the rotation, I’m confidant we can make a nice Cup run, especially if we open at home the first 2 rounds. I never expected the shield, I’m disappointed with probably finishing 3rd in the CCL, but I can’t lay the blame on Dome for reasons stated in posts above.

Last edited:
He's not wrong. Atlanta looked like they couldn't be beat heading into the playoffs and Columbus beat them. It's a crapshoot

He trusts the players to figure out how to [x].

I think this is the primary cause of Dome's struggles adjusting to MLS. He has to figure out this class of players - what he can trust them to do naturally and what he needs to coach them to do properly. It takes a few weeks to identify that stuff, and a few more weeks to fix it, if it's fixable (else, simplify gameplan). These growing pains are natural.

Secondary cause would be general lack of depth, novel travel requirements, and inconsistent scheduling. Just throws an extra wrench into everything.

I think this is the primary cause of Dome's struggles adjusting to MLS. He has to figure out this class of players - what he can trust them to do naturally and what he needs to coach them to do properly. It takes a few weeks to identify that stuff, and a few more weeks to fix it, if it's fixable (else, simplify gameplan). These growing pains are natural.

Secondary cause would be general lack of depth, novel travel requirements, and inconsistent scheduling. Just throws an extra wrench into everything.
Considering the coaches we have had and the tactics they look to implement, Dome needs a full offseason the most.

BpdFyNeCUAAVbPr.jpg:large

Reactions: Schwallacus
1) is the team broken due to the mid year coaching changes, and time and an off season will fix it? Or is Dome not the right answer, even with the time and off season.

2) Are we sure the club is committed to keeping Dome through next season, whatever the results this season? Or is it possible they could still reboot and start fresh with a new coach and staff for 2019? Could he end up being a half year caretaker and go back to Manchester?

1) is the team broken due to the mid year coaching changes, and time and an off season will fix it? Or is Dome not the right answer, even with the time and off season.

2) Are we sure the club is committed to keeping Dome through next season, whatever the results this season? Or is it possible they could still reboot and start fresh with a new coach and staff for 2019? Could he end up being a half year caretaker and go back to Manchester?
I don’t even know what I think is the best course of action.

Reactions: adam

I read this week that Dome is moving, or just moved, from a place on the UWS to TriBeCa. Maybe his lease was up, or maybe he found a place he wanted to call home.... I worry it was the later and he’s contracted through more than this caretaker period.

Luckily, leases are able to be broken just as certain contracts should be broken and bought out.

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that with time and an off season Dome gets the team bought in and knowing what they are supposed to be doing out there. He seems to say the right things ,that they need to play faster etc. The question is can he be a coach and get his players to play balls out and committed, not just an experienced tactician...

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that with time and an off season Dome gets the team bought in and knowing what they are supposed to be doing out there. He seems to say the right things ,that they need to play faster etc. The question is can he be a coach and get his players to play balls out and committed, not just an experienced tactician...
I lean to keeping hm. I hate when teams shuffle through coaches and nobody stays around long enough to do anything (including when one is an asshole who deserts midseason before accomplishing anything of substance). Look at Orlando. They'd be better off if they never fired Adrian Heath, and he's not some magic worker, but the stability would have them in better form than the dumpster fire they are. Hell, I have no desire to defend Kreis, but I doubt they'd have just 1 win in 20 games if he's still there, and he deserved a full season with the roster he built before they canned him.

So I'd rather stick with Dome, absent some no-doubt don't even think about it better alternative showing up looking for work.

But damn, if this team does not make noise in the playoffs, then gets halfway through next season with 25 points or so, it will be ugly.

Last edited:
At the moment it is clear that Dome is not the right coach to quickly fix a team abandoned mid-season and riddled with injuries while also trying to figure out the nuances of a foreign, wacky league. I think that there are other coaches who would have been better equipped to do that, including less tactical coaches willing to avoid overhaul by keeping it simple and/or keeping the tactical framework in place. The question still remains whether Dome is the right coach to manage a team effectively from the outset with a proper training camp and season. I have no fucking idea, it could go either way, or somewhere in between. Given his wealth of experience, etc., it probably makes sense to see whether he does, although the unknown of that makes me very nervous. Maybe he will surprise us all and salvage this season, giving us more hope for next, although given the current product I am not on team optimistic (albeit still holding out hope). I am not even going to read this back as it's time to go be disappointed by my other "football" team.