Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
No. It was an own goal and PK away from a tie at home.
While logically it was an own goal and a PK away from a tie at home, I don't see how we can logically use these two against each other.

For all the talk about the own goal (and I do agree with adam adam on this one), but for argument's sake, let's just say it was a complete gift and there was no chance Medina could get there.

Well, the PK given to Philly was also a complete gift. And I don't mean in the call, because it was a completely justifiable call as Johnson cleared out the Philly attacker. But Ring had already won the ball away, so there was no more danger. Philly didn't really "earn" a PK with a dangerous chance where we fouled to gain advantage. If that PK is made, that's almost just as much an Own Goal as the Trusty one.

Funny you say that. I went to get Shake Shack after the match tonight. I'm holding the door leaving with the bag of burgers in my hand and my NYCFC scarf. The guy thanks me and says, "Shoutout to Man City."

Correct. He thought you were a man city supporter.

While logically it was an own goal and a PK away from a tie at home, I don't see how we can logically use these two against each other.

For all the talk about the own goal (and I do agree with adam adam on this one), but for argument's sake, let's just say it was a complete gift and there was no chance Medina could get there.

Well, the PK given to Philly was also a complete gift. And I don't mean in the call, because it was a completely justifiable call as Johnson cleared out the Philly attacker. But Ring had already won the ball away, so there was no more danger. Philly didn't really "earn" a PK with a dangerous chance where we fouled to gain advantage. If that PK is made, that's almost just as much an Own Goal as the Trusty one.
Just because Ring cleared the ball, Johnson committed a foul in the box - he completely cleaned out a player. That results in a PK.

Reactions: Kjbert
Got another Dome research question: can anybody help me find the video from early in his tenure where he said something like how if we didn't win this year, okay, maybe next year? I remember people were annoyed at the time about how defeatist it sounded.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Got another Dome research question: can anybody help me find the video from early in his tenure where he said something like how if we didn't win this year, okay, maybe next year? I remember people were annoyed at the time about how defeatist it sounded.
Did he say that? I thought he said the reg season didn’t matter and it was about the playoffs? That to me was defeatist since we were in the running for Supporters Shield.

Reactions: dummyrun

Maybe you’re thinking of this one

Go to 7:30

Reactions: dummyrun
Did he say that? I thought he said the reg season didn’t matter and it was about the playoffs? That to me was defeatist since we were in the running for Supporters Shield.

Yeah he said stuff like that a few times, but I think I remember him saying something about next season at least once. Maybe I'm making it up though.

Amazing, thank you. Funny part is I don't even think this is the interview I had in mind, but Dome's nothing if not consistent in his message.

Yeah, we just took off with the whole Pretty Pineapple thing and that was completely wrong.

Reactions: Kjbert
Funny you say that. I went to get Shake Shack after the match tonight. I'm holding the door leaving with the bag of burgers in my hand and my NYCFC scarf. The guy thanks me and says, "Shoutout to Man City."
How many did you get?

No. It was an own goal and PK away from a tie at home.

dont like this... games get played differently based on these events happening. second half we stopped putting on the pressure to hold a 2 goal lead... you dont do that if those events dont happen. Decisions were made based on that happening. they changed the game entirely and who knows what would have happened without those events.

dont like this... games get played differently based on these events happening. second half we stopped putting on the pressure to hold a 2 goal lead... you dont do that if those events dont happen. Decisions were made based on that happening. they changed the game entirely and who knows what would have happened without those events.

Agree. The same people that said the only reason our #s were decent in the 2nd half vs DC was because they took their foot of the gas, are the same ones saying that PHI played us even in the 2nd half and now we have to worry. Maybe we took our foot off the gas to defend a 2 goal lead at home, when all we needed was a draw, and not over exert our players? Maybe?

Agree. The same people that said the only reason our #s were decent in the 2nd half vs DC was because they took their foot of the gas, are the same ones saying that PHI played us even in the 2nd half and now we have to worry. Maybe we took our foot off the gas to defend a 2 goal lead at home, when all we needed was a draw, and not over exert our players? Maybe?

Yes, maybe... but then why, oh why did we keep Yangel in until the 90th minute? It doesn't totally make sense to say that a team is comfortably protecting a lead and playing at, say, 70% of it's available intensity, and then it decides to keep a player like Yangel in the field, who was having his first start in over 5 months and will have to have 2 more in a week if we have any chance to make a deep run. If we were truly comfortable we would have brought Ofori or Amagat for him at 60 min and adjusted to the huge stepdown in quality that would have meant. The truth: Dome was awfully scared that not having Yangel out there would let Philly back into the match.

Yes, maybe... but then why, oh why did we keep Yangel in until the 90th minute? It doesn't totally make sense to say that a team is comfortably protecting a lead and playing at, say, 70% of it's available intensity, and then it decides to keep a player like Yangel in the field, who was having his first start in over 5 months and will have to have 2 more in a week if we have any chance to make a deep run. If we were truly comfortable we would have brought Ofori or Amagat for him at 60 min and adjusted to the huge stepdown in quality that would have meant. The truth: Dome was awfully scared that not having Yangel out there would let Philly back into the match.

So yes and no. Yangel was breaking up plays all over the center of the pitch. And I think Dome realizes there's just no like for like for Yangel on our roster. So he rested both Maxi and Chanot (who were also hurt) and brought in Isi to give him a little game time so he doesn't start cold on Wednesday. The subs aren't so crazy when you think of it. Other than Chanot should have been replaced with Ibeagha. But maybe Dome was trying something out at the very end, knowing the game was over, when he pulled Chanot?

I agree with your point that keeping YH in the game meant that Dome had concerns, but I do not agree this means the style of play didn't change. I think the team did retreat into a halfway attacking/lead protect mode. They never parked the bus, but they did get more careful and cautious in attack. And I think that's consistent with the decision to play Herrera for 90 because Torrent didn't think the game was a gimme up by 2.

If we beat Atlanta, especially if it is convincing, then Dome gets a ton of credibility back. People can make the argument that he was just experimenting while preparing for the playoffs, and when it came down to it, he outcoached Tata and got us to the conference finals against the all time points champion.

If not, winning two matches at home* against a clearly inferior team (Philly is not a bad team, just clearly less overall talent) is not going to salvage what was a terrible run.

*If we lose this match to Philly, I'm firmly in the fire Dome camp and won't be budging.

If we beat Atlanta, especially if it is convincing, then Dome gets a ton of credibility back. People can make the argument that he was just experimenting while preparing for the playoffs, and when it came down to it, he outcoached Tata and got us to the conference finals against the all time points champion.

If not, winning two matches at home* against a clearly inferior team (Philly is not a bad team, just clearly less overall talent) is not going to salvage what was a terrible run.

*If we lose this match to Philly, I'm firmly in the fire Dome camp and won't be budging.
I would still wouldn't fire Dome. I don't think he was the right mid-season hire, but he could be for a full season, but that's not really what I'm intending on getting at in this post.

To your top point, I completely agree, especially considering all of our criticism towards PV was his inability to win a knockout game. Sure, he can do great in the regular season, but he was 0-3 in USOC and 0-2 in playoffs. I was not and still am not on the whole PV sucks train, but there are some data points there. But I think Dome would deserve quite a lot of credit if he were to pull this off.

But ultimately, if we were to beat Philly and then Atlanta, and say lose in the Conference Finals, you'll still find plenty of people here looking to discredit it. They'll say, big whoop they won a home playoff game against Philly and then beat a team whose coach was one foot out the door and whose top playmaker was either not playing or just coming off an injury. I'm sure some other narratives will get slipped in there.

I would still wouldn't fire Dome. I don't think he was the right mid-season hire, but he could be for a full season, but that's not really what I'm intending on getting at in this post.

To your top point, I completely agree, especially considering all of our criticism towards PV was his inability to win a knockout game. Sure, he can do great in the regular season, but he was 0-3 in USOC and 0-2 in playoffs. I was not and still am not on the whole PV sucks train, but there are some data points there. But I think Dome would deserve quite a lot of credit if he were to pull this off.

But ultimately, if we were to beat Philly and then Atlanta, and say lose in the Conference Finals, you'll still find plenty of people here looking to discredit it. They'll say, big whoop they won a home playoff game against Philly and then beat a team whose coach was one foot out the door and whose top playmaker was either not playing or just coming off an injury. I'm sure some other narratives will get slipped in there.

I think there are a ton of red flags that Dome is not the right guy for the job but regardless of what happens I can't see the team firing him after just half a season unless the parting of ways is mutual and Dome wants an out. It's just bad optics across the CFG family. Based on how long Dome had been Pep's assistant it doesn't seem like he was clamoring for a head job. He could have easily gotten a decent head coaching job at any point since his time with Barcelona. Instead he kept hopping along with Pep. My assumption is that CFG pitched this job to him and possibly even asked him to do it. It's hard to imagine a scenario in which they boot him without giving him a full season to prove himself. Dumping him at the end of the season is going to send a message to other guys in the CFG ranks that if they take a risk they won't be given a fair chance to see things through.