Draft Thread (Expansion/Waiver/Re-Entry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
I found his highlight video from this season. Also relevant because I want to two-footed tackle that gif of him.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

How can Saunders be waived? We'd have to buy his contract out since the team extended it with a new deal last year.

Only counts against the cap during the season. In the offseason we have to pay money but it doesn't affect the 2017 salary cap.

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP’s) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player’s contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player’s contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club’s salary budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Okoli doesn't appear anywhere
Is it possible that Okoli isn't on our official roster/registered as an NYCFC player yet?

I know the deal went through, but maybe he hasn't finalized terms with our club. Just a thought. That would be how I would have handled it or tried to, anyway.

ETA: Jay was thinking like me.
I wonder if there is some rule that players signed within a certain time period prior to the list/draft are excluded like Okoli. That would explain the baffling pre draft signing and the lack of protection.

Last edited:
Is it possible that Okoli isn't on our official roster/registered as an NYCFC player yet?

I know the deal went through, but maybe he hasn't finalized the deal. Just a thought. That would be how I would have handled it or tried to, anyway.

I would more bet on someone screwing up and forgetting to put his name on the list. Shhhh. Let's keep it that way.

Why are people no longer on our team included in the list?

I'm not sure you're reading that correctly. I'm not sure you're wrong either. It's an ambiguous poorly made chart.

I thought the same at first, but he is definitely not protected. Iraola and Ballochouy are "not eligible" because they are retired. That line just happens to align with EJ's name.

Didn't realize it would count against the cap...God damnit Claudio!

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP’s) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player’s contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player’s contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club’s salary budget.
We haven't used the one freebie this year so it's still a possibility. Club has to pay the cash but it doesn't count against the cap.

I know the deal went through, but maybe he hasn't finalized terms with our club. Just a thought. That would be how I would have handled it or tried to, anyway.

I wonder who else could have said the same thing before JayH JayH .....

Hmmm...... what if the paperwork for his contract hasn't yet been finalized (until after the draft is over)? He is going from the USL to MLS so lawyer/agent has to get involved. Loophole to keep him?

LA's list is rather interesting.

UNPROTECTED
Aguilar, Miguel
Da Silva, Leonardo
Donovan, Landon
Garcia, Rafael
Gerrard, Steven
Gordon, Alan
Husidic, Baggio
Keane, Robbie
Kennedy, Dan
Larentowicz, Jeff
Lassiter, Ariel
Magee, Mike
Romney, David

interesting they are putting three GK in that unprotected list, i dont think anyone gets taken.....maybe johanssen to minnesota...but thats it. Saunders aint getting drafted

I would be surprised if Eirik is picked. We might have nobody picked given how few picks each team has..

There are a ton of keepers available - some teams didn't protect any. Clint Irwin and Steve Clark are available, for example. FYI, RBNY protected both Meara and Robles. I would be shocked if Saunders is picked above either of them. Lurch has value because he is young and cheap. ATL might need a backup.

what a great system to needlessly disgruntle squad players. I can just imagine how many agent's phones are blowing up right now. "The effin team didnt protect me? then force my trade"

Status
Not open for further replies.