Forum Folks I'd like to have a beer with

On the subject of following the opinion of the crowd, I present an excellent episode of the solid Revisionist History podcast by Malcolm Gladwell. It starts with the question of Wilt Chamberlain and his free throw shooting. I hadn't known this, but for one season, Chamberlain shot free throws underhanded - like Rick Barry. That year, he shot 61.3%, his only year over 60% in a career in which he averaged 51.1%. That season included his famous 100 point game, in which he shot 28-32 from the foul line. After that season - his third in the NBA - he stopped shooting underhanded, and his percentage sank - often to below 50%.

The podcast muses on why this is - the embarrassment factor - and then goes on to discuss research into why people follow the dictates of the crowd, even when doing so is obviously against their own self interest. Fascinating stuff.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/03-the-big-man-cant-shoot

Reactions: JayH and SoupInNYC
Reminder for those that would like to join an unofficial Forums pre-game gathering, come to Stan's Sports Bar at 6pm on Saturday before the FC Dallas match. Stan's is located at 836 River Ave. Hope to see some unfamiliar faces!

Reminder for those that would like to join an unofficial Forums pre-game gathering, come to Stan's Sports Bar at 6pm on Saturday before the FC Dallas match. Stan's is located at 836 River Ave. Hope to see some unfamiliar faces!
I may make it, but most likely not tomorrow. If you see a guy stumbling in hammered in a light blue pigeon t-shirt, I made it.

I'm a maybe as well. Will be walking in the Steuben Day parade down in Manhattan and then going to a beer hall with the LI Bayern Supporters, so it depends on when I pry my phone out of my Lederhosen pocket and realize I need to get to the game.

Reactions: Goodfella
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to take this one off to help the wife juggle the kids. I'm also going to have to take this one off to help the wife take care of the kids after we juggle the kids.

I'll also be rolling with a friend in town from Amsterdam and another in town from Mexico City to the game. Their first and second time in NYC and first time to a NYCFC match / Yankee Stadium.
Oranjebooms for everyone

I want photos so I can put faces to as many forum folks as I can without revealing my face!

Reactions: JayH