Fox Sports Bundesliga Coverage

Would watch a VFL Wolfsburg or Dortmund or Bayern match if there was no interesting EPL match on.

That said, I *hate* Fox's commentating style. Really grating during the WWC and Gold Cup. At least NBC's EPL coverage uses UK commentators and is pleasant to listen to.
That is basically my life on Sat/Sun mornings. Best EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A matchup I can get access to wins my TV for 90 minutes.
However, I am day by day growing incredibly irritated with Alexi Lalas being the Fox's go to guy for soccer pregame/halftime/postgame shows. He is 0% likeable; 100% worthless. He is like the Skip Bayless of soccer.
I thought it was over after WWC and Gold Cup. I cringe when I see City has the Sunday Fox game. I'm sure Fox with throw him in the Bundesliga mix and make me hate him more.

I was just starting to follow Bundesliga a bit more when my cable provider dropped goltv which was then covering it to pick up Bein.

I leaned toward Dortmund , football hipsterism at the time or not, not sure if they'll be as pretty to watch post Klopp or not.

One thing that makes the Bundesliga nice on TV IMO is they they have almost entirely modern fully packed stadiums. Stupid or not it can be a problem for me trying to watch La Liga, Serie A or Ligue one on TV that once you get passed the top of the table teams you have a lot teams with crappy falling apart stadiums , pitches with mud patches, and half full crowds all of which can be negatively distracting. Only other league in Europe that can match the EPL for this.

they do have the best Tifo

Would watch a VFL Wolfsburg or Dortmund or Bayern match if there was no interesting EPL match on.

That said, I *hate* Fox's commentating style. Really grating during the WWC and Gold Cup. At least NBC's EPL coverage uses UK commentators and is pleasant to listen to.

they should have Johnny Weir do the coverage. i think he works for Fox

I guess they changed their minds? According to this they will have some games in Fox Sports 1 which is awesome for me since i only have FS1.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/07/30/fox-sports-officially-announces-bundesliga-tv-coverage-plans/

EDIT: Also Ian Joy was hired by FOX Sports so i dont know if he will still do YES nycfc games.
I'll take Ian Joy over Alexi Lalas any day. I still see a little bit of indication Fox doesn't know shit about Bundesliga by the current broadcast schedule, like no broadcast for the Wolfsburg v Schalke match on Friday, August 28, 2015, but I feel like a least this is a sign they will start to catch on quick.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned that Bundesliga might attract more viewers beyond Bayern games because of all the USMNT players over there.

No?

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
This thread only serves to remind me how far we've come over the years.

In the late 70's, English 1st Division and Bundesliga matches were broadcast (of all places) on PBS (channel 13 here in NYC). They were both edited to 60 minutes and broadcast back to back on Saturday afternoon. Mario Machado did play by play for the English matches and Toby Charles for the games from Germany.

Any FOG's out there like me who can recall Toby Charles signature call when a goal was scored? ;)

In the late 70's, English 1st Division and Bundesliga matches were broadcast (of all places) on PBS (channel 13 here in NYC). They were both edited to 60 minutes and broadcast back to back on Saturday afternoon. Mario Machado did play by play for the English matches and Toby Charles for the games from Germany.

Any FOG's out there like me who can recall Toby Charles signature call when a goal was scored? ;)

whoa PBS? that's something. I wonder though if any FOX affiliates here in the city will show games or maybe replays? Sometimes MSG plus shows replays of champions league games. or MSG 2 does.

Reactions: Gene

If I knew what PBS was this post might actually make sense.
(I'm not originally from the USA if you're wondering.)

Last edited:
If I knew what PBS was this post might actually make sense.
(I'm not from the USA if you're wondering.)
PBS stands for Public Broadcasting System. It's sort of a non-commercial TV network that started in the late 1960s I think. It's not really a network though, more like a loose affiliation of stations that share programming. They do a lot of educational television, documentaries, things that commercial TV won't show. They're the ones who made Sesame Street, for example. Also Nova, Masterpiece Theater, Nature, etc. They also used to be the only place you could see BBC stuff in America in the pre-cable days. Monty Python, for example. Before cable there were the three networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, with PBS being the fourth.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
PBS stands for Public Broadcasting System. It's sort of a non-commercial TV network that started in the late 1960s I think. It's not really a network though, more like a loose affiliation of stations that share programming. They do a lot of educational television, documentaries, things that commercial TV won't show. They're the ones who made Sesame Street, for example. Also Nova, Masterpiece Theater, Nature, etc. They also used to be the only place you could see BBC stuff in America in the pre-cable days. Monty Python, for example. Before cable there were the three networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, with PBS being the fourth.
Oh, ok. That's pretty cool. Assuming I can find it on my tv when I'm in the U.S. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info! :)

I feel like Ian Joy is from the same school of mindless contrarianism and bizarre, hypercritical anger as Lalas. Don't really care for his commentary but I doubt it will affect Bundesliga games.

Hitzlsperger had some weird comments but in general I thought Fox handled yesterday's game well. And I think the Bundesliga can develop a sustainable American audience going forward, though it will probably always be a niche market.

I feel like Ian Joy is from the same school of mindless contrarianism and bizarre, hypercritical anger as Lalas. Don't really care for his commentary but I doubt it will affect Bundesliga games.

Hitzlsperger had some weird comments but in general I thought Fox handled yesterday's game well. And I think the Bundesliga can develop a sustainable American audience going forward, though it will probably always be a niche market.
It will only continue as a niche market sport if fox broadcasts it in channels that many Americans don't have. If it's given the same coverage as the EPL I can see it developing into one of the most popular euro leagues of American fans.

Agreed, but that would still be a niche. EPL does well, but even MLS gets pretty weak ratings. It's hard to imagine there's enough space in the market for Bundesliga to overcome either of those leagues, given the advantage both have built, the local element to MLS, the fact both leagues are supported by English-language media, etc.

Agreed, but that would still be a niche. EPL does well, but even MLS gets pretty weak ratings. It's hard to imagine there's enough space in the market for Bundesliga to overcome either of those leagues, given the advantage both have built, the local element to MLS, the fact both leagues are supported by English-language media, etc.
Also, don't forget that Germany is an hour further east than England. So those 7:30am EPL matches we all love so much will start at 6:30 instead.