Game Of Thrones (spoilers)

Benjen coming out of absolutely nowhere (!) to save jon, shut up. Not getting on the horse with him so he could buy him all of what 10 seconds with his lame ass attempt to fight (which lets be honest was lazy writing to clean up his loose end story), shut up. No pursuit of jon when they are only like a 10 minute jog to the wall (as seen by gendrey message), shut up..

Seems reasonable to me that Benjen wanted to die -- he was really half-dead already, which probably isn't so great.

On the post-show "behind the scenes" either Benioff or Weiss as much as said that they came up with the "surrounded on an island in a lake of ice," conceit, which to me indicates they are either taking credit for Martin's work (unlikely) or that the books and the tv series have significantly diverged from each other.

Not hard to believe given the lazy plotting and lack of meaningful/surprising deaths this season -- two things that are not exactly Martin's calling cards....

On the post-show "behind the scenes" either Benioff or Weiss as much as said that they came up with the "surrounded on an island in a lake of ice," conceit, which to me indicates they are either taking credit for Martin's work (unlikely) or that the books and the tv series have significantly diverged from each other.

Not hard to believe given the lazy plotting and lack of meaningful/surprising deaths this season -- two things that are not exactly Martin's calling cards....

Yup. These last few seasons have made me feel more comfortable that if the books are ever written, they will be very different. Just the fact that there is no fake aegon/John connington faction in the stormlands has forced D&D to have to create conflict in the South that really shouldn't even exist. I'm worried that meeting with cerci they teased at the end could be some really cringe worthy stuff. Just kill her and be done with it. She's the one who did away with guest rights to begin with.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Yup. These last few seasons have made me feel more comfortable that if the books are ever written, they will be very different. Just the fact that there is no fake aegon/John connington faction in the stormlands has forced D&D to have to create conflict in the South that really shouldn't even exist. I'm worried that meeting with cerci they teased at the end could be some really cringe worthy stuff. Just kill her and be done with it. She's the one who did away with guest rights to begin with.
It was interesting that they had Cercei mention hiring the Golden Company because that would be a total deviation from the books. D&D know the ending GRRM had in mind and they're creating their own path to it. The sad part is it seems like they took the ingredients for a 25step dish and are serving them individually as tapas...

Winner winner chicken dinner
Who said the wight dragon is breathing fire? All we saw of it was its eye color changed to become a wight. If the damn thing is brought back from the dead and its eye color changes, who knows what happened to its other organs? Maybe the dragon is going to spew some type of ice-like chemical and freeze everyone's ass. Just saying.

took only a few episodes to completely jump the shark. Horrible writing and even worse direction.

pretty sure it was just blue fire... and not ice or a some chemical. You cant use ice to melt ice.
It still bothers me that it can breathe fire (blue or red) at all. Fire kills wights/white walkers (technically white flyer) so it should have killed itself in the process.

pretty sure it was just blue fire... and not ice or a some chemical. You cant use ice to melt ice.
it's...
giphy.gif

took only a few episodes to completely jump the shark. Horrible writing and even worse direction.
What parts? Most of the big beats still seem to follow from the books.

What parts? Most of the big beats still seem to follow from the books.
We really don't know what's following the book at this point. The Golden company isn't being hired but Cercei and that's her big play from last night. The interview with D&D last week all but verified that they created the suicide squad in the middle of the lake scene. If they did that, who's to say the dragon was ever killed/turned too?

My biggest issue is the writing is sub-par and the dialog/character interactions are poor. There's no intrigue and last night had zero suspense. The trial of Little finger was too ho hum with him playing the "nobody was there - oh did I just admit that" card. Even the assault on the wall wasn't tense - it was a "lemme guess, the dragon is going to make a big hole in it" revelation.

I'm not in love with the blue fire either. I realize that asking for a semblance of scientific realism in a fantasy work bothers some people, and expecting the conservation of energy to be honored in a fantasy world just set you up for disappointment*, but this was a step too far from me. I do expect internal consistency. Nothing we have seen is compatible with the wights having any bodily functions. Hell, half of them have no organs. They don't eat, or breathe, or spit, vomit, pee, poop, or sweat. But a wight dragon can breathe fire. With no energy source whatsoever.

* There are various articles around the web trying to weigh the science behind regular dragons and fire breathing, and the consensus is it's impossible to make it work given the the energy requirements, heat dissipation, etc. Also, flying when that big is similarly ridiculous. For me, the wight aspect just takes this a level too far.

Nothing we have seen is compatible with the wights having any bodily functions. Hell, half of them have no organs. They don't eat, or breathe, or spit, vomit, pee, poop, or sweat. But a wight dragon can breathe fire. With no energy source whatsoever..
it's not a wight, though - it's a White Walker Dragon

it's not a wight, though - it's a White Walker Dragon
Wait, wait wait.

You're probably right. I don't know. But. The first WW was created from a living human by the COTF. We've seen WWs turn living babies left as a sacrifice into white walkers as well. And when the WW reanimate a corpse, they put their hand on the body, they get blue eyes, and become wights.

All along the rule has seemed to be the dead become wights and the living become white walkers.

So why suddenly does the dead dragon become a white walker?

ETA: this is a big topic of discussion around the web and there is no consensus. Some make the distinction I make here, between reanimating the dead and turning the living. Others say the difference is whether the WW touches the subject, making a new WW, or waves his hands, making them wights. Basically there are no known rules.

Last edited:
And when the WW reanimate a corpse, they put their hand on the body, they get blue eyes, and become wights.

All along the rule has seemed to be the dead become wights and the living become white walkers.

So why suddenly does the dead dragon become a white walker?
no, they get blue eyes and becomes White Walkers - wights have cloudy/dead eyes

it's possible the dragon wasn't exactly dead - being frozen in a lake could have preserved him - regardless, I'm going by the eyes