General MLS Discussion

Imagine if MLS roster rules don't count towards the Leagues Cup and we just buy / get on loan some crazy players for Leagues Cup and just transfer / end the loan after the tournament...

We do get Neymar, but just for a month...

that sounds very NASL like. Cryuff played for the cosmos for like three friendly games.

It seems a number of MLS team supporter groups are enacting, expanding and/or planning to beef up enforcement of rules forbidding people who wear jerseys or shirts of teams other than the home team in the supporters section. According to a discussion on Chant, Third Rail is among them. This is in anticipation of having people show up in Argentina 10 Messi jerseys, because that's not technically the opposing team. I have no issue with people being allowed to wear whatever they want in the rest of the stadium. I might will judge them, but I have no interest in policing it. But I also cannot imagine wearing anything but home team colors in the supporters section.
There does not seem to be a lot of controversy over these rules, I mostly find it interesting this is even necessary.

Last edited:
It seems a number of MLS team supporter groups are enacting, expanding and/or planning to beef up enforcement of rules forbidding people who wear jerseys or shirts of teams other than the home team in the supporters section. According to a discussion on Chant, Third Rail is among them. This is in anticipation of having people show up in Argentina 10 Messi jerseys, because that's not technically the opposing team. I have no issue with people being allowed to wear whatever they want in the rest of the stadium. I might will judge them, but I have no interest in policing it. But I also cannot imagine wearing anything but home team colors in the supporters section.
There does not seem to be a lot of controversy over these rules, I mostly find it interesting this is even necessary.
I wonder how many people in the stadium of an MLS game (even a season ticket heavy majority, non-secondary tickets) would cheer if Messi scored a goal?

Messi LS still going strong.... now will AppleTV and MLS be able to make the most of it? Not if the service stutters for everyone...

1689641201487.png

Garber is basically telling the teams with turf that they have to put a grass field over the turf if they want Messi to play in their stadium.

MLS clubs are allowed to install natural grass for Messi, says Garber
Oh they can put down a grass field for Messi but not for, say, every other MLS game in their stadium? Get out of here.

Hilarious in that article is cohiba Don saying “Thierry Henry played on turf.” Henry specifically did not play on turf except for in Portland (where he approved the surface) or once in NE where it was a playoff game and he had no choice. Come on.

Reactions: moogoo and Sabo
The deal for Josef is that Atlanta used their one-season buyout on him to pay part of his salary for Miami. Tata wants to bring in a full crop of U22s so that third DP spot has to stay as a YDP or a cheaper DP in the TAM range to get all 3 U22 slots. I believe Josef's contract is up this year, so that gives Miami more flexible next year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
jordi alba set to join miami too... another highly paid player. insanity. how the hell is miami making it happen? espn also reporting that luis suarez wants to join messi too.

I love all the discussions now about whether teams will put in grass for when messi comes, and i'm like "for once yankee stadium and citi field are the ones that aren't in the limelight" lol

I love all the discussions now about whether teams will put in grass for when messi comes, and i'm like "for once yankee stadium and citi field are the ones that aren't in the limelight" lol

don't worry. next they'll make us rotate the field orientation to make it larger for messi & co.

I work at a place that gets a lot of tourist traffic from all over the world. The amount of pink Messi 10 kits/t-shirts/hats I see every day is really quite incredible. I want to say between 1 and 5 a day from different groups. Especially from non-Americans too. It's hard to say that there has not been an affect from his arrival.

I'm looking forward to the yearly article of top 10 purchased Jersey with name/number that was purchased the most this year.

For those wondering, the article provides no color on what was said (or alleged to be said).

• Wow
Reactions: moogoo