General MLS Discussion

Out to dinner near Lincoln Center with my girlfriend and her mother. Who walks in and tries to get a seat, but there’s no tables left? Don Garber lol! I chirped him and said “Don why aren’t you at home watching the playoffs?!” He smiled and that was that.

What I really wanted to say was “Don the new playoff format is so awful even you’re not watching?!”
“Do these first games even matter?” Don thought to himself while enjoying his lovely Saturday evening instead of watching Apple TV or being at match.

“Do these first games even matter?” Don thought to himself while enjoying his lovely Saturday evening instead of watching Apple TV or being at match.
TBF to Don’s choice of dining times, there was only one game on tonight at dinner time. Odd choice considering they have habituated the entire league fanbase to show up at 7:30 ET Saturday night all season.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'm not staying up for any "why is the central time zone playing late at night tv scheduling bullshit", but waking up to the stlCITY-SKC result has been fun. The reddit threads are a delightful shitshow.
What's funny is it could have been like 6-4. Happened to be a great game until the like 60th minute after which nothing happened and I should have just gone to sleep.

Reactions: mgarbowski
anybody else shocked that
1 - phil neville wanted to get another coaching gig in MLS and
2 - someone in MLS wanted to hire him?

i was shocked to hear he got picked up by portland.

Reactions: LionNYC and Shwafta
anybody else shocked that
1 - phil neville wanted to get another coaching gig in MLS and
2 - someone in MLS wanted to hire him?

i was shocked to hear he got picked up by portland.
I was shocked that portland would even consider hiring him. Sigh. Portland in for another crap year, it seems.

Why? I think it's a great idea.

it's not a rule that would improve the game in my opinion. it's meant to stop tactical fouls and dissent. the current card system already provides enough deterrent, imo. not that long ago, you wouldn't even get a card for a tactical foul. taking players off the field is a big deal. even if it's for 10 mins.

it's not a rule that would improve the game in my opinion. it's meant to stop tactical fouls and dissent. the current card system already provides enough deterrent, imo. not that long ago, you wouldn't even get a card for a tactical foul. taking players off the field is a big deal. even if it's for 10 mins.

I agree, but if anything refs criterias need to change too. If they don’t feel like booking they won’t, same in “sin bins” if a ref didn’t think a tactical foul was “intentional” he will just call foul and that’s it no sin bin

I agree, but if anything refs criterias need to change too. If they don’t feel like booking they won’t, same in “sin bins” if a ref didn’t think a tactical foul was “intentional” he will just call foul and that’s it no sin bin

Exactly. The current rules are fine. The problem is the refs don't enforce them consistently. Just like the league started booking players for delaying restarts by standing in front of the ball the one year. We suffered a few cards with that initiative.. but not all refs did it and a few games later it was basically not enforced.

Terrible idea. For the 10 minutes the team is down a player, they'll play more conservatively, biding their time until they are back to a full 11. If it happens multiple times in a game, a major chunk of the game will suffer a drop in quality, and entertainment value.

It would be bad for the sport.

I think it would help curb the crowding of the ref incidents. Also it must not be all bad, this is from the Athletic article:

"The English Football Association introduced sin bins as a punishment for dissent to all levels of grassroots football in the 2019-20 season, following a pilot in 31 leagues during the previous two terms. According to FA figures, those trials resulted in a 38 per cent reduction in dissent across the leagues, with 72 per cent of players, 77 per cent of managers and 84 per cent of referees wanting to continue with the change."

I personally hate, Hate, HATE tactical fouls. Hate them.
This solution sounds weird, but I can see it being successful. The card system also has its own flaws, so perhaps this could be an ideal supplement.

Hate this idea for what Kenny Kenny said. Will create 10 minute patches of bunker.

Just enforce the rules. AGGRESSIVELY. You know what you almost never see? A player on a yellow who lazily grabs another player from behind to stop a break. You know why? Because that player 100% knows that will be a 2nd yellow.

Make any player other than the fouling player approaching the ref an automatic yellow. Make tactical fouls consistent automatic yellows. Make persistent fouling consistent automatic yellows. (E.g., 3rd foul within 5 minutes or something like that.)

And while we're at it, my own pet peeve. Make any picking up of the ball, carrying the ball, etc, to delay restart, an automatic yellow.

When players 100% know they will get a yellow or especially a second yellow they will not do the thing.

Unless Dest.