Grabavoy

There was no Grabavoy in the most recent training photos. And actually, we're only seeing ~11-12 players in the past two training sessions, though we can expect Mena back in the fold soon, as well as Mix and Khiry.

There was no Grabavoy in the most recent training photos. And actually, we're only seeing ~11-12 players in the past two training sessions, though we can expect Mena back in the fold soon, as well as Mix and Khiry.
Must be working on their super-6 small side game play....

TMac runs like a penguin with his arms straight and low.

Indeed, when they are playing its easier to tell them apart. But when I'm looking at people in the back of preseason pictures its a wee bit harder.

On a completely unrelated subject, who do we think Grabavoy goes to this off season? Despite the fact that he is currently overpaid, he is probably a good depth option for a place like Chicago.

Reactions: Kjbert

Like Molly Shannon in that Seinfeld episode?

tumblr_lnlvke00331qj9qhto1_500.gif

Reactions: Kjbert
Indeed, when they are playing its easier to tell them apart. But when I'm looking at people in the back of preseason pictures its a wee bit harder.

On a completely unrelated subject, who do we think Grabavoy goes to this off season? Despite the fact that he is currently overpaid, he is probably a good depth option for a place like Chicago.
A. Whichever team Kreis goes to.
B. Chicago - they need "leadership"
C. LA where Arena turns him into a star as Grabavoy 2.0

I wonder if that contributes to his slowness. In my collegiate baseball career, which closely resembled Grabavoy's NYC time (ie; short, injury-riddled and largely unproductive when it mattered - kudos to me for deftly keeping us topical while driving us further down the rabbit hole), we worked with a speed coach from time to time.

The one thing I remember from him was "the hands are your accelerator", and it makes sense physiologically. Try to run with your hands out of rhythm with your feet. It's impossible. Not to say he'd be a burner, but I have to believe if he had someone work with him on his running form, he would at least achieve some marginal pace increase.

And worst case, he'd be running, which might help his body shape look less like my Body-By-Microsoft-and-desk-consumed-takeout and more like that of a professional soccer player. Although, that change would make it slightly less inspiring when he scores.

I wonder if that contributes to his slowness. In my collegiate baseball career, which closely resembled Grabavoy's NYC time (ie; short, injury-riddled and largely unproductive when it mattered - kudos to me for deftly keeping us topical while driving us further down the rabbit hole), we worked with a speed coach from time to time.

The one thing I remember from him was "the hands are your accelerator", and it makes sense physiologically. Try to run with your hands out of rhythm with your feet. It's impossible. Not to say he'd be a burner, but I have to believe if he had someone work with him on his running form, he would at least achieve some marginal pace increase.

And worst case, he'd be running, which might help his body shape look less like my Body-By-Microsoft-and-desk-consumed-takeout and more like that of a professional soccer player. Although, that change would make it slightly less inspiring when he scores.
Another explanation would be the one my wife proffered when she came to her first NYCFC game (the debacle at home against Columbus in August). When T-Mac came on, she offered: "The guy looks much more like a stoner than a soccer player."

Your explanation definitely merits more credence...but it was pretty funny.

When he first started getting game-action, I thought he was one of the worst players I've ever seen play. This was all attributable to how awkward he runs around with his arms flailing about. I believe this way he runs around also led to a handball in the box during one game and a PK.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan

Funny you should mention this.... I'm a running coach and the arms directly influence the legs. I'm over-simplifying it, but the faster you pump your arms, the faster the legs will go (within reason & fitness), and the arms should be held in a natural 60-90 degree bend. Run up a hill (non-soccer-related), drop the arms (slightly)/increase the overall swing and drive the arms through each step for more power up the hill.

Considering how slow the squad was this year, they should be working on form every day, and if they already are, the coach should be fired.

Funny you should mention this.... I'm a running coach and the arms directly influence the legs. I'm over-simplifying it, but the faster you pump your arms, the faster the legs will go (within reason & fitness), and the arms should be held in a natural 60-90 degree bend. Run up a hill (non-soccer-related), drop the arms (slightly)/increase the overall swing and drive the arms through each step for more power up the hill.

Considering how slow the squad was this year, they should be working on form every day, and if they already are, the coach should be fired.

Very true! In high school I ran spring/winter track and cross country all 4 years. The one memory that stands out is my coach yelling at us down the straight, screaming "ARM SPEED!!!" and "JELLY FACE!!!"

And the hills... can't even count how many times I've willed myself up Cardiac Hill at Sunken Meadow. I once had a teammate who closed his eyes halfway up, and about a minute later realized he was running in place.