Hearts Of Oak Needs Your Help.

erwin

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Aug 18, 2014
Astoria, NY
thewelldressedpt.tumblr.com
I am the Public Relations Officer and Social Media Director of Hearts of Oak. Please take the time to read this post regarding the incidents on 1 August:

As members of Hearts of Oak, we are reaching out to you, the NYCFC supporters family, in light of recent events after the home match against Montreal.

Two of our members were detained and arrested by the NYPD and are now facing charges with potential for jail time that will require legal counsel.

A female Hearts of Oak member was sexually accosted after the match by an unknown male, who then initiated a physical altercation with our members outside of the venue. To be clear, the person arrested was our member, who was *wrongly accused* and detained by word of the perpetrator.

Shortly after, another Hearts of Oak member was in a discussion with police, which culminated in a violent detainment by several officers. He sustained facial wounds after being detained by four officers that were significantly larger than him.

We are unable to discuss specific details of the event due to legal issues, but ask you kindly donate anything you are willing to give in order to help our family out.

Hearts of Oak does not condone violence or aggression in any way, means, shape or form, and maintains a defensive stance in both of these events for our two members.

There is no room in supporter culture for violence, and Hearts of Oak continues to stand by it's mission statement: "We will not act to the detriment of any Football Club or Supporters Group."

We are intent on defending the innocence of our members and hope that you, as a member of the NYCFC family, are willing to contribute to our cause and help prevent any similar issues with any other supporters and supporters group.

Hearts of Oak asks you to join our cause to help defend our members and the NYCFC family. Please find the link below to donate what you can. We will be thankful for whatever you can donate.

https://fundly.com/defend-nycfc-supporters-anthony-brendan

Edit for initial event.

Attachments

• mission statement.jpg
    mission statement.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 20
  • mono.jpg
    mono.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 16
  • new amsterdam.jpg
    new amsterdam.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image3.PNG
    image3.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
With all due respect, without knowing more details as to what extent the members in question are responsible for their own actions and the consequences, I would hesitate to donate any money at this time.
What caused the "discussion with police" to result "in a violent detainment?" Showing a picture of a person being detained on a cruiser does not immediately get my sympathy, knowing that the person displayed may have shown aggression towards the officers or other individuals prior to the physical detainment.
I truly do want to have the backs of our supporters, but I also do not want to be supporting someone who acted out of line and is now facing the consequences.

(I'm not trying to deter others from assisting, as some people may be more in the know about what transpired, but as a supporter who was not there, but would help out if I felt the cause was just, would like to have more information. I understand that you may not be able to share any more details.)

4 413Blue I completely understand your points. AFAIK (or understand) we are unable to release details because both members of our group are receiving legal counsel and we do not want to compromise their cases.

What I can tell you assuredly is that our members were not making attempts to provoke or instigate mentioned situations. I know there have been several people that have discussed this case openly but are unrelated to Hearts of Oak. I can positively tell you that if you dig around the right venues, you will hear relatively accurately what occurred.

Without some video evidence what you have posted is just hearsay.

That does not mean I'm not sympathetic nor does it mean you are not telling the truth, it's just that as an outside observer I genuinely don't know what really happened. If you had some video evidence or something that can conclusively show that a miscarriage of justice is being done, then yes 100% I would donate to you guys.

But right now I simply don't know if you are telling the truth or trying to manipulate us/the system for your members benefit; just as you claim the guy in the harassment has done.