Home - 04/30 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the team/stadium has in store for the day game goal special effects in lieu of the light show?

The Stoke Sentintel reported it a few days ago. Made its rounds on twitter, I'm still unsure where to draw the line on tweeting about family like that so I just didn't mention it.
Sadly, Jack himself just tweeted that he isn't playing this weekend but hopes to be back within the next two weeks. A home debut in the derby could be sweet.

He is now the most transparent thing at NYCFC for actually providing good information!

Someone posted that after the Montreal game, but thanks for reposting because I think it got lost. I always wonder at the interpretation of these sort of stats. The basic truth is that if you are a bad team you probably won't get many points early in the season, or late, or in the middle. So what this analysis mostly proves is that bad teams usually start poorly and then don't make the playoffs.
What this stat means if it is more interesting than that is harder to analyze: do good or at least decent teams that start poorly in just the first 7 games doom their chances? Further, if you really want to have a useful analysis, tell me how often do teams that make the playoffs have any 7-game stretch with 8 points or fewer.
That's harder to look up but I don't see why the MLS guys can't do it.
I posit this alternative.

Sports have a lot to do with psyche. Good teams play worse when they feel bad about themselves and vice versa. We are a team that (I believe) is better than our record. But psychologically we could start to believe we are what our record says we are. That makes it harder to dig for that extra energy, believe in your teammates, generally do the things necessary to be great.

On a winning streak those things come easy. 7-games winless it gets harder and harder. So teams that start slow, whether they are inherently good or bad, carry an albatross that takes some level of greatness to remove.

I posit this alternative.

Sports have a lot to do with psyche. Good teams play worse when they feel bad about themselves and vice versa. We are a team that (I believe) is better than our record. But psychologically we could start to believe we are what our record says we are. That makes it harder to dig for that extra energy, believe in your teammates, generally do the things necessary to be great.

On a winning streak those things come easy. 7-games winless it gets harder and harder. So teams that start slow, whether they are inherently good or bad, carry an albatross that takes some level of greatness to remove.
There is something to that. A famous different football coach wrote that, “You can't dream up confidence. Confidence is born of demonstrated ability.” So if our true ability hasn't been demonstrated in the form of wins we will lack confidence which will affect play.
But then again a great coach once said, “you are what your record says you are”

The question is when each Parcells-ism applies.

Vancouver leads the league in corner kick goals (3). Just saying.

Reactions: Goodfella
has anyone yet sat this year in the first few rows of sections 103-107? I was thinking of buying something there for tomorrow's game. I am just curious as to how the pitchside seating affects your view.

Our PPG in the Old Black Away kit was 1.0
Our PPG in the Blue Home Kit is 1.0 through Wednesday.
Our PPG in the HypnoKit is 3.0.
So when you add the black and hypno together, it's a better point rate than the city blue.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Sure. Now that I've established to my satisfaction that the hat I wear makes no difference, we might as well start the great kit experiment of 2016.
It never really was a lucky hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.