Home - 07/19 TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Vieira defers to the players, like most coaches, and Pirlo seems like the kind of guy to be clueless enough not to see how much better Villa is than him at this point.

if you guys honestly think this i feel sorry for you. The coach decides who takes the set pieces and even if he didnt then blame Viera and not Pirlo because its his responsibility.

if you guys honestly think this i feel sorry for you. The coach decides who takes the set pieces and even if he didnt then blame Viera and not Pirlo because its his responsibility.
Pretty sure this was actually said on a Soccer in the City podcast.

More famously, he was the referee in our crazy 2-2 draw against Orlando last year when Villa missed a penalty and Orlando equalized in the 4 minute of the 3 minutes of stoppage time.

When I review the referees, I go to the Wikipedia season pages and then if necessary the MLSsoccer.com match report. It's had to find penalties given that wasn't scored.

But I remember that game. Forget about the penalty. Didn't want to be triggered regarding the Orlando tie.

I think this is about right. I expect we will see Tommy at LW, but I'd be fine with Lewis. I think it is 50-50 between RJ and White, and I'd personally go for White. Maybe Sands for Lopez on the bench, but I doubt it will happen.
I'd also like to see Sands make his way to the 18 sooner rather then later.

Apparently Pirlo himself is possibly the only person left that thinks he should be taking those. PV and the players continue to defer to him but my assumption is that they just have too much respect to stop him and agree that it's utter insanity he's still taking them.

wrong.

I think Vieira defers to the players, like most coaches, and Pirlo seems like the kind of guy to be clueless enough not to see how much better Villa is than him at this point.
wrong.

if you've never played organized soccer (with a real coach) then you would know the coach assigns who takes what, unless its the last minutes or theres an understanding between the players/ coach to play quickly.
its not just a free for all, first come first serve. these

also, contracts could have an effect. In certain players contracts (like pirlo, drogba, giovinco and villa) there may be clauses in the contract- "first rights to PK/FK"... even corners.

Reactions: Joseph Bianco
wrong.

wrong.

if you've never played organized soccer (with a real coach) then you would know the coach assigns who takes what, unless its the last minutes or theres an understanding between the players/ coach to play quickly.

also, contracts could have an effect. In certain players contracts (like pirlo, drogba, giovinco and villa) there may be clauses in the contract- "first rights to PK/FK"... even corners.

someone gets it. Its almost like people here dont think the players practice these situations with the coach on the regular basis and coach doesnt decide whats going on.

I can't even count how many teams around the world have different players take the free kicks depending on who steps up and demands the ball. Hell, last season ManU had all of the following guys go for the ball and they figured it out themselves: Ibra, Pogba, Herrera, Rooney, and Mata. I'm probably even forgetting some. mourinho didn't tell them who was kicking, they discussed it/pulled rank on the field. I'm sure there are some teams where the manager designates one person, or a committee depending on type of kick, but that is definitely not a universal truism across all of soccer.

And I'm pretty sure I've heard Vieira answer the question when asked that he lets the players figure it out.

someone gets it. Its almost like people here dont think the players practice these situations with the coach on the regular basis and coach doesnt decide whats going on.

Just gonna leave this right here...

In 2015, before Pirlo transferred to the Bronx, Villa scored a pair of stunning free kicks – Villa is 2 out of 14 in his NYCFC career but do not expect a role reversal any time soon.

“I let the players decide on the field,” said Vieira.

Pirlo does not plan to abandon that responsibility.

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/04/nycfc-notes-adjusting-formations-pirlos-free-kicks-and-more

In 2015, before Pirlo transferred to the Bronx, Villa scored a pair of stunning free kicks – Villa is 2 out of 14 in his NYCFC career but do not expect a role reversal any time soon.

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/04/nycfc-notes-adjusting-formations-pirlos-free-kicks-and-more

Jesus christ. so its still vieras decision to have Villa or Pirlo take it. If he doesnt want him to he says no and its over. If mikey lopez just steps up to take it does Viera let it happen?

Vieras lack of a decision is still a decision to let Pirlo take them.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
wrong.

wrong.

I've played plenty of organized soccer and not for a second would I think that rules about who takes free kicks experienced on those teams provide any insight into how things play out at a professional level with world class players like Villa and Pirlo. Unless you are a former champions league player if you think your experience gives you insight you're kidding yourself.

Also, even if PV is making the call its still the case that they could be deferring to Pirlo out of respect. Aging super stars in all different sports are often allowed to perform key roles long beyond the time when they are the optimal choice out of respect.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I've played plenty of organized soccer and not for a second would I think that rules about who takes free kicks experienced on those teams provide any insight into how things play out at a professional level with world class players like Villa and Pirlo. Unless you are a former champions league player if you think your experience gives you insight you're kidding yourself.

Also, even if PV is making the call its still the case that they could be deferring to Pirlo out of respect. Aging super stars in all different sports are often allowed to perform key roles long beyond the time when they are the optimal choice out of respect.

Youre acting like Villa is a nobody compared to Pirlo. Hes also an aging super star and the captain of the team.

Jesus christ. so its still vieras decision to have Villa or Pirlo take it. If he doesnt want him to he says no and its over. If mikey lopez just steps up to take it does Viera let it happen?

Its very common for coaches to let the players on the field determine who takes penalties and free kicks.

Reactions: Paul and JayH

You are like 0 for 5 in admitting you are wrong when presented with evidence. The human mind is amazing because I have a feeling that you honestly don't think you are wrong.

They probably do go back to a Back 3. Here is their lineup two matches ago against Dallas missing some of their Gold Cup guys:
View attachment 7268

Perhaps with Jozy out, we will see Endoh up top. Their midfield will shuffle a bit with Vazquez in there, Edwards on the left and maybe Hasler on the right. I would guess Cooper plays more of the holding mid that Bradley normally plays.
But why does their 3 man backline have 3 CB's? Makes zero sense. No fullbacks!?
giphy.gif

I would urge some of you to use the ignore function. I can't silence someone for having a unpopular opinion. Leaving it at that.

Some one tell PV that's the wrong way to do it because that's not how they did it on Mario Mario high school team.

Youre acting like Villa is a nobody compared to Pirlo. Hes also an aging super star and the captain of the team.

In what way am I acting like Villa is a nobody? I'm sticking to what we have seen. Villa took all the free kicks on goal pre-Pirlo and scored a on them at an impressive rate. Pirlo arrived and immediately took over. Clear indication that PV/Villa/Team deferred to him and his rep as one of the best free kick takers in the world. Pirlo has now spent 2+ years skying balls into the stands and drilling them off walls with 1 free kick goal. If you are going purely off performance Villa should have taken back over about a year ago as a result. I'm speculating that something more than results is driving the decision to allow Pirlo to continue taking them. If it helps you to sleep better at night to think that you're hero Pirlo still has all his magic but it only shows in practice and disappears during the games don't let me stop you.

During the playoff game last year at Yankee Stadium was the only time I can remember Villa taking a free kick with Pirlo on the field. And it definitely felt like Pirlo thought he was going to take it, and Villa decided he wanted that one. Kinda wish Villa would have done that more often. Of course, Villa didn't do anything with the subsequent FK, so maybe that's why

Status
Not open for further replies.