Home - 09/01 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick glance at players who haven't gotten much time over our last ten matches.

Mendoza: 154
Martinez: 90
Lopez: 89
Bravo: 39
Shelton: 32
Ballouchy: 0
Diskerud: 0

Remember when Bravo and Lopez were locks in our lineup early on? They can't even get a look now. These guys are squad rotation players at best, it's a short week lets see if any of them get some time.

Some thoughts on tomorrow's match. Home win have become so key now that we are no longer defying MLS history on the road.

Your thoughts on the CB issue got me thinking.. I'd agree that Mena is our best 1v1, but lacks in other areas. I wonder what it would look like if we're up 2-0 or something with 15 to go, Lamps and Pirlo are dragging ass, and we sub Mena in as a D Mid next to Iraola, and maybe even Bravo or Mikey as well.

---TMac----Villa----Harrison/Doza---
--- Bravo --- Mena --- Iraola ---
Martinez -- Brillant -- Chanot -- Allen / Hernandez (ugh)
------------------uh oh------------------

Could probably be a decent shut-down midfield if you play Mena back like a sweeper to just take on 1v1's and let Brillant/Chanot play it out.

Edit: if you think I sound crazy, it's probably because I've been watching too much Pep. The guy has his damn fullbacks press into defensive midfield roles and original CDM dropping back to a 3 man CB line as they push up the field. I don't know where he comes up with this shit.

Skip to about 4:00 -

Skip to about 0:50 -

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Your thoughts on the CB issue got me thinking.. I'd agree that Mena is our best 1v1, but lacks in other areas. I wonder what it would look like if we're up 2-0 or something with 15 to go, Lamps and Pirlo are dragging ass, and we sub Mena in as a D Mid next to Iraola, and maybe even Bravo or Mikey as well.

---TMac----Villa----Harrison/Doza---
--- Bravo --- Mena --- Iraola ---
Martinez -- Brillant -- Chanot -- Allen / Hernandez (ugh)
------------------uh oh------------------

Could probably be a decent shut-down midfield if you play Mena back like a sweeper to just take on 1v1's and let Brillant/Chanot play it out.
Interesting. That's a thought that hadn't occurred to me, though in late May I wouldn't have guess that Iraola would both be our starting d-mid and be good at it.

Mena is such a dilemma for me. I really like him and think he is a good defender in MLS. I just think our style exposes some of his weaknesses while on another team he's just be a good, starting CB and his ponderous play on the ball wouldn't be such a focus of attention (i.e., is he worth more to someone else than he is to us?). Just an interesting thing to think about come the offseason. In the meantime, I'm happy to have three guys who, I think, bring something good to the table and should keep Hernandez and White out of the CB role (I won't start on RB).

Final thought on this topic generally is that I do think there may be games where Bravo is a better fit than Iraola at d-mid, either as a starter or and early sub. It does feel like we have had instances where we are getting run over in the midfield and he probably helps with that. With the short rest and how many minutes Iraola has played in the past three months, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bravo on Thursday, either starting or, depending on how the game goes, after 60.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Why is this game being played on a Thursday? No other MLS games are that night. Yankee scheduling?

It sucks that NYCFC has to play away on a Sunday night and then get a quick turnaround for a Thurs game instead of the normal Saturday.

Why is this game being played on a Thursday? No other MLS games are that night. Yankee scheduling?

It sucks that NYCFC has to play away on a Sunday night and then get a quick turnaround for a Thurs game instead of the normal Saturday.
MLS knew we'd need to quickly rinse the putrid taste from our mouths after that shit-show in Orlando

Gold nets and corner flags all this month for Kick Childhood Cancer campaign. Players will also have patches on their jerseys.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Wearing my Mullins Hypno today and proud! Hope they guy scores a brace today and Villa gets a hat trick with a win! COYBIB!

Status
Not open for further replies.