Home - Chicago 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot take: I don't like Mendoza. Sure he may be better than Shelton right now, but I don't think he will be a top player for us.

He needs to be willing to pass the ball and play touch and go instead of trying to take on all comers. For any fans of the Premier League, he reminds me of Andros Townsend, fast but not a good finisher.

I may be wrong, given that he scored the most goals in the ISL last year but I also don't know the quality of those goals or the defending in that league so I'm sticking to it. In short, he's a one trick pony and defenses will wise up to it soon enough.

Mendoza is quite clearly not better than Shelton right now.

Reactions: JayH
I'd like to see him get in a few more games to see what we have.

In his first match, Orlando couldn't contain him because of his speed. He looked dangerous throughout his time on the field.

Against New England it seemed to me he simply tried to get to technical with his form rather than just turning on the jets and blowing past defenders.

It'll be somewhat interesting to see what we have in Mendoza.

Just my two cents worth(less).

In his first match, Orlando couldn't contain him because of his speed. He looked dangerous throughout his time on the field.

Against New England it seemed to me he simply tried to get to technical with his form rather than just turning on the jets and blowing past defenders.
I think the difference might've been caused by some mid-week coach's advice. Which is good because sheer speed declines with age but skill can increase with coaching, practice, and experience.

Yeah. I see both sides – on the one hand he can seem a little indirect, especially when played down the lift. On the other, he's been a whisker away from having two goals, an assist and the adulation of Yankee Stadium. There was the right footed shot off the post against Disney, the left footed volley that went just wide against New England, and the back heeled roll to Villa who really should have finished (or slotted Tommy in).

I'm not completely sold on him but slightly optimistic.

Reactions: Paul
Here's our preview of this week's match against Chicago. See you all out there in the freezing cold!

I like your focus on the wings. I don't think Mullins and Villa have any chemistry whatsoever though. I hope that our coaching staff identify, as you have done, that Chicago have been playing with wing backs, and opt for a 4-3-3 so we can overload them on the wings. Agree also that Hernandez can't play an offside trap but I think that's why we get him off the field. The only reason I would hesitate to play 4-3-3 is that we haven't looked comfortable in it since preseason, but I would hope that we've been working on it over the bye week.

Anyway, the only thing I'm sure of is that it will be a tactically interesting game between two progressive coaches.

Reactions: Ulrich
I like your focus on the wings. I don't think Mullins and Villa have any chemistry whatsoever though. I hope that our coaching staff identify, as you have done, that Chicago have been playing with wing backs, and opt for a 4-3-3 so we can overload them on the wings. Agree also that Hernandez can't play an offside trap but I think that's why we get him off the field. The only reason I would hesitate to play 4-3-3 is that we haven't looked comfortable in it since preseason, but I would hope that we've been working on it over the bye week.

Anyway, the only thing I'm sure of is that it will be a tactically interesting game between two progressive coaches.
Should be a fun one. If they go 4-3-3, is it the same midfield we saw in the first match or do you try to work Bravo in there? I always come back to the Toronto and San Jose matches at the end of last year. Those were two of the most complete matches we played (other than the craziness at the end of SJ). Midfield was AJ, Pirlo and Lampard, but they are two of the few matches where AJ actually played deep and held his position per the average position graphs. That setup worked and I think Bravo would be better playing the deep role. So, it's always stuck with me. Tough to drop Mix or TMac though. Ultimately, I can never figure out quite what I want.

Paunovic had some interesting commentary this week about why he went back to four at the back against Philly. Very curious to see what he goes with. They didn't actually look that good in that match even though they won and had a man up for most of the second half. I really do think that they are going to absolutely jam the middle and the box and then just try to release their forwards Ina very direct way. If the go that route, and early goal (or two) could do wonders for us.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Hot take: I don't like Mendoza. Sure he may be better than Shelton right now, but I don't think he will be a top player for us.

He needs to be willing to pass the ball and play touch and go instead of trying to take on all comers. For any fans of the Premier League, he reminds me of Andros Townsend, fast but not a good finisher.

I may be wrong, given that he scored the most goals in the ISL last year but I also don't know the quality of those goals or the defending in that league so I'm sticking to it. In short, he's a one trick pony and defenses will wise up to it soon enough.
His best role is likely to be the second half sub that runs the defense to death on tired legs. He may only be able to juke once or twice, but a defender's tired legs won't be able to keep up with the change of direction and pace.

Reactions: NYCFCfan

I'd argue we looked very comfortable in it the first game in Chicago - heck we were ready to bury the Fire in the first half with the chances our offense was getting. The knock on the team that game was playing White out of position, Hernandez having no idea how to play the offsides trap, and Brillant getting his first taste of MLS having to defend the fastest player in the league. Those were personnel problems, not formation issues.

First game he was playing on the right and having success. the next game was on the left and he looked troubled with what to do.... I think there's a correlation.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I hope we are done with the Pirlo caddy. It is essentially playing with 10 men. On defense Pirlo is a negative and on offense Bravo is a negative. Like Vieira implied in preseason, let us live by the sword and die by the sword, we will create more than we concede. Go back to the 433, and if you love bravo so much (who is going to get a red card one of these games) play him at CB, and for gods sake get rid of hernandez, that is the weirdest choice on the field.

I hope we are done with the Pirlo caddy. It is essentially playing with 10 men. On defense Pirlo is a negative and on offense Bravo is a negative. Like Vieira implied in preseason, let us live by the sword and die by the sword, we will create more than we concede. Go back to the 433, and if you love bravo so much (who is going to get a red card one of these games) play him at CB, and for gods sake get rid of hernandez, that is the weirdest choice on the field.
Yes, agree. The 433 is our most dynamic formation by pinning the opponents wingbacks back using our speedy forwards, and giving our wingbacks the freedom to bomb forward. I think the 343 was PV's concept to work within the confines of Yankee Stadium's super-6 size field.... it's problem seems to be the clogging of the midfield with no movement..... Lets' just play to break the league scoring record and all else will fall into place.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I don't understand how people are complaining about Pirlo's defense in 2016. 2015, sure, an argument can be made. But he's been much better this year, his work rate has been higher, and he's one of the leading tacklers on the team.

I don't understand how people are complaining about Pirlo's defense in 2016. 2015, sure, an argument can be made. But he's been much better this year, his work rate has been higher, and he's one of the leading tacklers on the team.
I'd counter than two out of four games does not make a trend, and I agree he's been a bit better from zero that he did last year, but having a defensive caddy is worse than just letting him play the 6

Reactions: joe
Here's NYCFC's projected lineup
Saunders
Iraola Hernandez Matarrita
Bravo Pirlo
Diskerud Macnamera
Shelton Villa Mendoza

Last edited:
I can't wait to see a dangerous lineup out there again. Squad was simply not the same with Mix and Mata out, arguably our two best players this season. Without Accam, I feel much more comfortable having a guy like Hernandez or Brillant back there. And really, anyone who's played this game before probably realizes that it's hard to get into a game like this when it's so cold, but once these guys are moving, it's like any other game. Both kickoffs will hopefully see us already warmed up and ready to score. I think a 3-0 win would do wonders for the squad entering their next two road games.

Reactions: Seth and gbservis
Status
Not open for further replies.