Home - Nycfc V Philadelphia - 04/16

I put the loss down on the defense not on the offense not scoring more. I think the problems there are more pandemic and also more likely to be fixed this season, if Nycfc and CFG want to fix it.

Yeah, I agree the defense isn't up to par, but I guess I'm the only one worried about the offense. 5 goals scored in 6 matches is shit. Plus, we've only scored 2 goals in a match just once this season (at home against NE). With a defense that is suspect we simply don't score enough goals to win matches. Through 6 matches we have scored 5 and allowed 5. IMO that shows the defense has actually been better than the offense through the first 6 matches, but we all know that the defense would have allowed a lot more goals in the first few games had Saunders not been imitating a brick wall. On the bright side, there's A LOT of room for improvement!

what'd they do? chances are your explanation is better than mine

Those Algerian fans were 2 sections to my left. They just sang and had a good time during the match. I don't think there were any issues with them and if they did any type of protest it was short and sweet.

Reactions: LostAnvil
I see Poku taking Jacobsons spot not Grabavoys. Jk should have more confidence in that move with Mix on the field for defensive cover

I'm not predicting what will happen, but I'd rather Mix take Grabavoy's spot higher up in midfield and Poku take Mix's current spot as CDM. Mix is being wasted back there IMO.

Those Algerian fans were 2 sections to my left. They just sang and had a good time during the match. I don't think there were any issues with them and if they did any type of protest it was short and sweet.
They were in front of me and to the right. They were cheering for NYCFC. Lots of energy too.
I had Philly fans behind me :mad:

I know it's been commented on a lot already but I have to give Calle his due on a very well played game. He really did a great job at left back last night. One on one defending was very solid and when he got forward he swung some good balls into the box. In my opinion he staked his claim to be the first choice left back going forward.

I also think Poku did enough to earn some more minutes in the coming weeks. I know he needs to work on his passing but I thought that he did more positives than negatives last night.

I agree 100% on Calle. I think we've found our starting LB. I'm fine letting Williams/Brovsky split time at RB for the foreseeable future, although I'd like Facey to get another shot at winning that position.

As for Poku, pretty much everyone here loves this guy and for good reason: his potential is through the roof. He was incredibly influential when he came on at half and was a big part of why we were dominating from minute 45 through 65. However, he seemed to run out of steam or something (as did the whole team) and was on the back foot from min. 65-85. Poku's not ready to start but he should be getting minutes just about every game.

Edit: On second thought, why not start Poku against Portland? Let's see how the big fella does from the first whistle. If he gets winded and his legs die, bring in someone else in the 2nd half. I mean, what the hell? The guy brings positive attacking play that is generally lacking.

Last edited:
my first time in the supporters section was super enjoyable (238) - algerians right by me and they were having a good time. four brits were being obnoxious and when nycfc scored threw full bottles of beer into the crowd in front of them, so yeah, sorry to the front of 238 for those guys.

They brought a huge Algerian flag that'd have spanned the width of an entire section, and were promptly told they couldn't unravel it. They also looked really disappointed when their Algerian player wasn't in the starting lineup.

Reactions: Paul
They brought a huge Algerian flag that'd have spanned the width of an entire section, and were promptly told they couldn't unravel it. They also looked really disappointed when their Algerian player wasn't in the starting lineup.

Guess they don't follow MLS too closely because not only was M'bohli not in the starting lineup, he wasn't even in the country. :D

Ballouchy had at least two chip shots that sprung Shelton that I can remember.
For me Ballouchy was the WORST player on the field. Most of his passes went astray and he missed a sitter early on which would have changed things. Yes, he took his goal well, but for the rest I thought he hurt more than he helped.

Poku on the other hand changed the game completely when he came on. But he's clearly not match fit as he appeared to run out of steam.

Someone else said it in another post - we need to shoot more often and be more clinical with our finishing. At least we started stronger than we have in most games.

Someone else said it in another post - we need to shoot more often and be more clinical with our finishing. At least we started stronger than we have in most games.
I always thought it was funny when the crowds at Premier League matches on TV would be yelling, "shoot! shoot!" Now I totally understand.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
I am not commenting on the latest result. Been there , done that: just posting this article from Soccer America magazine:
MLS Thursday: Late show is bad news for NYCFC

clip_image002.jpg
by Paul Kennedy

C.J. Sapong's equalizer in the 86th minute -- his first ever goal for Philadelphia -- gave the Union a 1-1 tie at New York City FC before 20,461 fans at Yankee Stadium as NYCFC's late troubles continued. The results of three of its first six games have been decided in the last five minutes, and they have cost the expansion team five points, the most of any team in the league. More than a quarter of MLS games have produced goals in the 85th minute or later that have decided the outcome. ...Read the whole story

MLS Thursday: Late show is bad news for NYCFC

byPaul Kennedy, April 17th, 2015 1:21AM

Horrible defending on that goal we gave up just unacceptable. Also let's be real honest here Saunders should've gone away from his line after that header in the box. The guys need to stop making unnecessary passes near the opposing box and need to take shots. The lack of shots taken in front of goal is outrageous.

Why are soccer players treated like fragile infants. Not blaming you, just saying in general.

A baseball schedule is brutal. They play almost every day and fly all over the place. Granted, baseball players aren't constantly moving for 90 min, but the game is still physically demanding.

If comparing sports, baseball is closer to golf than it is to soccer.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Why are soccer players treated like fragile infants. Not blaming you, just saying in general.

A baseball schedule is brutal. They play almost every day and fly all over the place. Granted, baseball players aren't constantly moving for 90 min, but the game is still physically demanding.

Soccer players can loose 12 lbs in one game.