Home V Disney City 07/26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the weather shows rain is coming later than expected now. May catch a break here.

Really need a win here. It would be a huge blow, mentally, to Orlando for us to win today. Barring a collapse from New England, there's really only 1 playoff spot left up for grabs and there are 5 teams vying for it.
10rvakl.png

Really need a win here. It would be a huge blow, mentally, to Orlando for us to win today. Barring a collapse from New England, there's really only 1 playoff spot left up for grabs and there are 5 teams vying for it.
10rvakl.png

And we play Montreal next week so we can either screw ourselves up big time or get right into the mid-table. Hate saying games are "must-win" when they're not, but these next two are super important if we have playoff hopes.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
And we play Montreal next week so we can either screw ourselves up big time or get right into the mid-table. Hate saying games are "must-win" when they're not, but these next two are super important if we have playoff hopes.
Oh yeah, and Montreal has 3 games in hand, too.

That'll be another big one. They're not must wins but we can situate ourselves nicely for the rest of the season or we can dig a deep hole in the next two games.

Reactions: mgarbowski
You can call this one must win because it is. Short of us running roughshod through the toughest schedule in the league, we'll have no chance. Here's how dire it is: the numbers still only give us a 1/4 shot of making it if we win, while Orlando is still slightly more probable than not to slip in even if hey lose today. That's how much worse our schedule is than theirs.

So yeah, last week was bad for us. Losing this one would close the coffin if not nail it shut.

You can call this one must win because it is. Short of us running roughshod through the toughest schedule in the league, we'll have no chance. Here's how dire it is: the numbers still only give us a 1/4 shot of making it if we win, while Orlando is still slightly more probable than not to slip in even if hey lose today. That's how much worse our schedule is than theirs.

So yeah, last week was bad for us. Losing this one would close the coffin if not nail it shut.
You just reminded me how brutal our schedule is the rest of the way.

Looking at the schedule for August:
#6 Montreal
@#3 Red Bulls
#1 DC United
@#2 Columbus
@#2 LA Galaxy
#2Columbus

Christ! So I was like maybe September will be better. It's not.

@#1 FC Dallas
#4 Toronto
#9 San Jose
@#3 Vancouver Whitecaps

Then to close the season in October we have

@#1 DC United
@#7 Orlando City
#4 New England

Holy shit, that's a brutal run.

10rvakl.png
Not sure why we need a "collapse" by NE. They have played 2 more games. At the end of today NYC and ORL could both be 4 pets back with 2 games in hand. That's easily within range for both teams. No collapse necessary.

This is kinda off-topic but aren't ESPN and Fox Sports missing out on a huge advertising opportunity by not using the standings number when promoting these games?

You instantly create more buzz (especially amongst casuals) for FC Dallas vs. DC United if you call them #1 FC Dallas vs. #2 DC United.

As a college sports fan, the playoffs in basketball and football have rendered the rankings virtually pointless but if you suggested doing away with them, fans would physically assault you. They're obsessed with the rankings, with how many weeks their team can stay at #1 or in the top 10 or whatever even though it's virtually pointless to the championship now.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
This is kinda off-topic but aren't ESPN and Fox Sports missing out on a huge advertising opportunity by not using the standings number when promoting these games?

You instantly create more buzz (especially amongst casuals) for FC Dallas vs. DC United if you call them #1 FC Dallas vs. #2 DC United.

As a college sports fan, the playoffs in basketball and football have rendered the rankings virtually pointless but if you suggested doing away with them, fans would physically assault you. They're obsessed with the rankings, with how many weeks their team can stay at #1 or in the top 10 or whatever even though it's virtually pointless to the championship now.

Just a thought.
I've never seen that done for pro sports before, it's really a college thing.
On a positive note, I just drove by a guy in my neighborhood who was rocking a Pirlo replica jersey and an NYCFC hat. I think it's going to be a good day.
Well I just had a knock on my door, my dog went nuts like he always does, and I was kind of aggravated because i'm just chillin today! Then I went to the door to see that a package was left behind...in it....my Pirlo authentic* home shirt! It's going to be a good day!

I've never seen that done for pro sports before, it's really a college thing.
It doesn't really make sense in any other Pro-American sport is why. No other league has a supporters shield.

It does make sense in Soccer though. People are conflating why it's hasn't been done with why it shouldn't be done, I feel.

It doesn't really make sense in any other Pro-American sport is why. No other league has a supporters shield.

It does make sense in Soccer though. People are conflating why it's hasn't been done with why it shouldn't be done, I feel.
NHL has a President's Trophy.

The reason why college sports use the number rankings is because of its conference system and the necessity for Top 25 polls/bowl rankings. None of the pro sports need to use this.

I think we're really splitting hairs here.

NHL has a President's Trophy.

The reason why college sports use the number rankings is because of its conference system and the necessity for Top 25 polls/bowl rankings. None of the pro sports need to use this.

I think we're really splitting hairs here.
Committees now select the playoff contenders with no respect at all shown to rankings in college sports.

So rankings, as I said, are pointless in college sports, too, but they create intangible trophies and hype.

Just a thought.

I've been hearing that Orlando is packing in today, might use 5 defenders and 1 striker up top. Think Villa, Mix and Pirlo can crack that nut?

Status
Not open for further replies.