How YOU Doin’? | NYCFC 2022 Season Discussion

I went and checked NYCFC's record all time in 1 goal games.

2022 7-8
2021 6-9
2020 6-6
2019 8-3
2018 5-4
2017 9-7
2016 7-4
2015 4 -9

Overall 52-50. They have 62 Draws all time. The record in all other games is 65-31.
PPG in 1-goal games 1.53
PPG in other W/L games with at least 2+ GD 2.03
PPG in 1-goal games plus draws 1.33
PPG in other games plus draws 1.63

First, I think this supports the theory that your record in 1-goal games is a matter of luck.
Second, that NYC has never had double digit wins or losses in 1-goal games is evidence that the Revs and Montreal's records in 2021 and 2022 (22 and 18 1G wins respectively) are rather outlying. Of course you'd need to check league records overall to really know.

I went and checked NYCFC's record all time in 1 goal games.

2022 7-8
2021 6-9
2020 6-6
2019 8-3
2018 5-4
2017 9-7
2016 7-4
2015 4 -9

Overall 52-50. They have 62 Draws all time. The record in all other games is 65-31.
PPG in 1-goal games 1.53
PPG in other W/L games with 2+ GD 2.03
PPG in 1-goal games plus draws 1.33
PPG in other games plus draws 1.63

First, I think this supports the theory that your record in 1-goal games is a matter of luck.
Second, that NYC has never had double digit wins or losses in 1-goal games is evidence that the Revs and Montreal's records in 2021 and 2022 (22 and 18 1G wins respectively) are rather outlying. Of course you'd need to check league records overall to really know.
My takeaway from this and soccer in general is that keeping a clean sheet is very difficult.

My takeaway from this and soccer in general is that keeping a clean sheet is very difficult.
This has nothing to do with clean sheets. These are games decided by one goal, not games with 1 goal scored total. A 3-2 game is a one-goal game as I use the term. Maybe I was not clear. Games with 1 goal are "one nothing games" at least to me.

ohhhh, I see. Yeah, I misunderstood. Even though I knew it meant 1-goal-margin games, I still somehow misunderstood.
FWIW NYCFC has 68 clean sheets all time.
NYCFC has suffered clean sheets 43 times.
11 games were 0-0
NYCFC record with clean sheets either way is therefore 57-32-11.

NYCFC's record in 1-0 games is 17-19.

Reactions: Shwafta and 413Blue
FWIW NYCFC has 68 clean sheets all time.
NYCFC has suffered clean sheets 43 times.
11 games were 0-0
NYCFC record with clean sheets either way is therefore 57-32-11.

NYCFC's record in 1-0 games is 17-19.

if you do just 57 for the ones we've won, you get 21%. that's surprisingly higher than i thought it would be! I was thinking more along 10-15%.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Number of points won by NYCFC managers in their first 20 games:
Vieira - 30
Torrent - 29
Deila - 30
Cushing - 29
It's kind of a trend,l. I believe the Fire (insert above name) movement had been established for all of the above during these stretches, before largely vanishing for each of them.
Cushing is a bit different as an interim.

It's kind of a trend,l. I believe the Fire (insert above name) movement had been established for all of the above during these stretches, before largely vanishing for each of them.
Cushing is a bit different as an interim.
I'll be shocked if Nick is not back in 2023. Besides the above, he won a cup and a playoff round, and even discounting the Campeones by half or more, that's more than anyone but Deila. He also won 2 out of 2 derbies. It's only the second time in 8 years we won 2 games against the Red Bulls, and most of those years had 3 or even more chances.

I use the same standard every year to judge the club team I am passionate about:

1) Players who play hard and I enjoy rooting for (2022 - definitely another great group of guys)

2) Playing a style of soccer that is good enough that I can watch with fans of any league in the world and they will enjoy watching NYCFC (2022 - we had more stinkers than past years, but I chalk most of that up to injuries. Let me recycle my friend's comment after watching his first professional soccer game, the 2nd Derby, "NYCFC looked like FIFA they way they pass the ball around, Red Bulls just foul a lot.)

3) A realistic chance at winning a trophy (objectively for the MLS Cup that means having at least one home playoff game). (2022 -Met my home playoff standard. Realistic chance at winning Champions League. Decent US Open Cup run. Won Campeones Cup. Realistic chance at winning MLS Cup).

Another great season. These are fairly high standards (2 & 3 are any way) and NYCFC keeps meeting them year after year.

NYCFC will have a bunch of changes -- some of which I am sure will be upsetting, but am already looking forward to 2023 ( and the stadium announcement during the WC).

Campeones Campeones Ole Ole Ole

Also remember, this is a team that let go a bunch of starters that shocked everyone (Alex Ring, Mata, etc.) and that was the year we went on to win MLS cup. Hard departures might happen, but we'll figure it out. I trust in the transfer team

Also remember, this is a team that let go a bunch of starters that shocked everyone (Alex Ring, Mata, etc.) and that was the year we went on to win MLS cup. Hard departures might happen, but we'll figure it out. I trust in the transfer team

yea we'll be fine. there will be some shockers this offseason, i'm sure. but we will be ok. CFG aren't the type to have a true "rebuilding season" where we drop down the table and just say "it's a rebuilding year". they want to win every year and they'll spend the money to make that happen.

limitations in MLS obviously curtail that spending a bit, but they'll figure it out.

besides, no matter who they sign or not sign, if they drop an actual stadium announcement for us all in december, we'll be too overjoyed to even think about it until next march.