In Defense Of Kreis...

And I will say this, take away the Dp's (2 of which who have played less than 2 games combined) and the other players who have been here 2 weeks or so, who in this team gets in other MLS teams? Mix and Poku. That's it.

Not exactly the best situation to get in the playoffs. Most of the quality the team has has been here two weeks at best, and have come to late maybe to catch up. It is what it is.

And I will say this, take away the Dp's (2 of which who have played less than 2 games combined) and the other players who have been here 2 weeks or so, who in this team gets in other MLS teams? Mix and Poku. That's it.

Not exactly the best situation to get in the playoffs. Most of the quality the team has has been here two weeks at best, and have come to late maybe to catch up. It is what it is.

Lol, exactly. And Kreis left them both on the bench last game. Insanity.

Top league managers can win or lose. But in big moments they put their teams in a position to win.

His day to day management of the roster so far has not been good at all. I am not saying fore him now, but Claudio has to set up a meeting and get everybody on the same page.

This.

And this.

I know something is going crazy if I, an avowed optimist and pacifist and often apologist, am spewing anger like Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan
Right??! Kreis is turning us all into Midas Mulligans!
I swear I can't help it. I have been blessed/cursed with an ability to see problems well before most people. It's not that I want to see them, or I am any smarter than anyone else (I mean, I am, but this doesn't prove it). It's just how my mind works. I don't know if my career choices did this to me, or I made my career choices because it is who I am.

I am just not very obsequious in general, especially to authority for its own sake. I don't think you need to be a genius to coach a sport, soccer or otherwise. Just because we aren't coaches doesn't make us unqualified to judge. I'm not a pizza chef, but I know good pizza when I eat it.

The guy has so many issues to deal with in this first season I find it incredible that many are thinking that he should be canned.

Some times his tactics seem crazy/stupid yes, but these things are all part of teething problems. He doesn't yet know the players well enough, he has not had a preseason to work with core elements of the team;
The core elements of the team might have only been around for 2 weeks!

Time. Work on the training field. The worst aspect of the team is the thing that needs this the most and he hasn't had anywhere near enough of this.

If he had taken over the Galaxy, an established talented winning team and was stinking it up, yes you could make a case for him being fired.

This club has no youth team, plays in a baseball stadium with a tiny pitch, has been missing two Dp's for half a season, been given crap players that other MLS teams didn't want, how did you think this season was going to go?

Building a team and chemistry takes time. Kreis is still getting to know the players and the players are still getting to know him.

The fact that this team is struggling is actually a plus point for the increased quality of MLS. It is harder and harder to come into this league as an expansion team, even one that has spent a lot of money and do well straight away.

Other clubs have built depth, got youth teams, great training facilities, experienced GM's in the league;
This team has none of those things.

I myself will not start judging this coach until at least midway through next season.

He needs time to find out what tactics work/what tactics don't work, who needs to leave, what area's need to be improved on, are some of the foreign signings still adjusting to the team/culture change.

Usually in soccer you have to do this with maybe five players at most in a season. He is doing this with 20 odd players!

MLS is not one of the best leagues in the world but it is getting better and the rules make it very hard to be good straight away.

The best coach in this league got canned by the Redbulls too early and took two seasons to get the established Galaxy on the right track.

I believe Kreis is a good coach in this league. Despite some of the head scratching decisions he has made I am prepared to wait and see him work out the kinks.

This job this first season would overwhelm many coaches; I think this sometimes has happened to him and I have total sympathy.

Let him have this season to assess things, an off season and preseason to plan and work with the team on the training field, and next season to bed down the team and have some consistency. Then let's start to maybe way him up.

Your out of your depth...like kreis.

Kreis sucks...probably is a fraud...riding high on lagerwey's coattails at RSL.

I mean "teething problems" are you high?

If Kreis still needs time to know the players at this point in the season than hes probably higher than you..

Why do we need a youth team to win against montreal? The fuck are you talking about?

Plenty of teams have less than 3 DP's in this league, Mix is basically a DP player anywhere else and Kreis didnt start him last game. The whole "We DIDNT HAVE 3 DP's" argument is BS. Mix is DP quality, Villa is better than most "DP's" in this league. We didnt need 3 Dps to win against the Cosmos or Chicago, or Philly. Give me a fucking break.

-He plays player's out of position constantly simply to squeeze in his favorite players (wingert grabavoy) Thats called Nepotism.
-Shit line ups playing the wrong players (slow hernandez vs one of the paciest teams in MLS)
- Shit substitutions (letting Wingert come off at RSL to get clap from the home crowd, subbing poku off in the cosmos game, subbing off mix and villa that one game etc etc)
-Shit tactics (parking the bus way too early in a game when we go up by 1, playing a hig defensive line when Montreal repeatedly showed they were going to use longballs etc etc)
-Slow to make changes (starting Nemec game after game in the begining of the season when it showed it wouldnt work)
-Shitty formations (tried to keep forcing a 4-4-2 in the begining of the season when it clearly didnt work well and we performed better the few times we did a 4-3-3)
-starting grabavoy
-starting wingert
-Rarely answers for himself or his decisions. Gives shitty interviews, always looks clueless.
-Constantly shits on players like Mix and Poku, never says anything about real shit players (grabavoy)
-Generally acting like a Dick

List goes on.

Kreis is indefensible at this point in my book. If you need years to be able to tell what shit looks like you need help.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who can do what. All it takes is watching film. He must not. I actually like JK, I just think he's overthinking things and trying to appease people. There's a lot I see watching the games live or on TV that I'm dumbfounded that he doesn't. Or he does and doesn't make the correction. Grabavoy is a game killer. He just isn't that good. You don't leave talent on the bench just to play him cause he's your bud. If it's because he thinks he's more talented than he can't evaluate talent. I respect your opinion on JK and a lot you said is correct..this is a challenge. That being said, we all can't be crazy. He's even being called out on it by announcers and ex-players. You play your best available lineup. Period. That doesn't always happen. And there's the in game adjustments that he doesn't see or make. It's just critique, not looking to chase the guy out of town...yet.

Reactions: Paul and NYCFutbol1
As well as supporting NYCFC i also take an interest in the Vancouver Whitecaps.

When they first entered MLS, they used their USL coach Teitur Thordarson for the inaugural season. A move i thought was right as he deserved a chance at that level.

The Whitecaps went on a bad run and didn't win in 12 games. I remember a lot of Whitecaps fans saying on the forums, he should get the sack as the team wasn't performing and he wasnt the future etc.

I kept telling them it was only the first season and it would take time etc, but they were adamant he should go as they wouldn't get better under him. Eventually he did get the sack and it was the right decision as the Whitecaps have moved far along.

This is why i think Kreis needs to go, He has under prepared and under performed and whilst it might seem like he deserves a chance, i think NYC has been a bit too much for him. I don't see the team improving under him in the future.

Reactions: Gavin23
The guy has so many issues to deal with in this first season I find it incredible that many are thinking that he should be canned. Some times his tactics seem crazy/stupid yes, but these things are all part of teething problems. He doesn't yet know the players well enough, he has not had a preseason to work with core elements of the team; The core elements of the team might have only been around for 2 weeks! Time. Work on the training field. The worst aspect of the team is the thing that needs this the most and he hasn't had anywhere near enough of this. If he had taken over the Galaxy, an established talented winning team and was stinking it up, yes you could make a case for him being fired. This club has no youth team, plays in a baseball stadium with a tiny pitch, has been missing two Dp's for half a season, been given crap players that other MLS teams didn't want, how did you think this season was going to go? Building a team and chemistry takes time. Kreis is still getting to know the players and the players are still getting to know him. The fact that this team is struggling is actually a plus point for the increased quality of MLS. It is harder and harder to come into this league as an expansion team, even one that has spent a lot of money and do well straight away. Other clubs have built depth, got youth teams, great training facilities, experienced GM's in the league; This team has none of those things. I myself will not start judging this coach until at least midway through next season. He needs time to find out what tactics work/what tactics don't work, who needs to leave, what area's need to be improved on, are some of the foreign signings still adjusting to the team/culture change. Usually in soccer you have to do this with maybe five players at most in a season. He is doing this with 20 odd players! MLS is not one of the best leagues in the world but it is getting better and the rules make it very hard to be good straight away. The best coach in this league got canned by the Redbulls too early and took two seasons to get the established Galaxy on the right track. I believe Kreis is a good coach in this league. Despite some of the head scratching decisions he has made I am prepared to wait and see him work out the kinks. This job this first season would overwhelm many coaches; I think this sometimes has happened to him and I have total sympathy. Let him have this season to assess things, an off season and preseason to plan and work with the team on the training field, and next season to bed down the team and have some consistency. Then let's start to maybe way him up.

This phenomenon is pretty common in sports. Fans running around the internet looking for someone to burn at the stake. "Obviously Kries should be fired because I've played a 3-5-2 for an entire imaginary season in FIFA and I've won every game." Most of the time it's the coach and one or two players that serve as a catalyst for disdain. "Player X has no business being on the pitch, it's very obvious that I can take his place on the squad. Did I mention I play pub league?"

Playoffs in your first season of existence is a tough goal, no matter how much money you have dumped into the team. I think 1.5 years is a little shallow for a timeline for success. I would assume we would give any coach up to three years to win the league, and unless the last was whoely unsuccessful or there is another candidate with better credentials to replace him, he still stays on another year with a target on his back. However, you guys want to string this guy up halfway into the first season of a team that didn't exist last year. Completely ridiculous. But also completely expected.

As for Player X, he does suck pretty bad. Probably has no business being on the pitch. But currently I am waiting on a call back from Chelsea, so not really interested in the job as of yet.

Last edited:
I was able to track down a picture of Gentile

20150218_NYCFC_2189_NedGrabavoy.png

For a long time I was on the #InKreisWeTrust group but I can't do it anymore. He has made poor rookie coach mistakes that can't happen from someone with experience. I am starting to think that maybe he was overrated when he came and was the benefactor of a great DM in Beckerman who carried that team. His quotes and decision making have been poor since he arrived. We need to see that there is a plan for success and I don't see that. I see Grabavoy.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I think it is fair to say to that many of us saying "Kreis needs to go" also wish to give him the rest of the year to prove himself. We have 12 games left and anywhere from 21-24 points in those games should get us into the playoffs. I am saying "#KreisOut" because I don't believe he is going to turn it around sadly with all these weapons, but I am giving him a chance to prove me wrong.