Losing Patience

Trone

Registered
Apr 25, 2014
I would say do date the NYCFC project has been an abject failure. The list of follies is quite long for a young club. I understand growing pains but when the relationship with Man City is so highly touted then the experience in running a club should soften the learning curve. Where are the Man City youth players? Where is the young players we have gotten from the so called "world class" man city scouting system? Where is our stadium? Where are the "3" DP's that were promised? Not much here to be optimistic about, its not like we have 3 younger DP's and a bunch of promising talent who need to gain experience and gel. Again, I understand this is an expansion club and there needs to be a certain level of patience but the difference here is the bill of goods we have been sold. If the message from the beginning was to be patient, this is a long process etc then that is one thing but that wasnt the case. NYCFC has put their foot in their mouth and bitten off more than they could chew. My advice to them fire Frank Lampard and on the first day of the summer window bring in 2 young DP's to build this team around. And GET A STADIUM DEAL DONE, enough with this nonsense, pick a location and pay for it, put your money with your mouth is. All this shit talking about the Sheik and how rich he is and how he is such a great owner and will invest etc. Lets see it, secure a location and pay through the nose for it, otherwise shut up. Money gets things done , the lack of a stadium deal is a direct reflection of not wanting to spend money, trust me, this gets done if NYCFC just pays for everything and gives some rec space to the city etc. There is no indication that this team is willing to spend money, evident from both the stadium and the DP situation. MAN CITY OUT

so many people are underestimating the red rape and strings that need to be pulled to build ANYTHING in this city. money is never the issue here is the politics and once an area is sort of rumored as potential spot for a stadium then Nimby's comes out and other local politicians saying they dont want it in their neighborhood. then that delays or kills the project.

You have a good point...this team does seem to be a money generating machine tho...thats evident at the merch stores and selling out of everything.

In addition to the points you make, it would have been nice to see this team depart from their ownership a bit...instead of being man city jr. Everything from the jersey design to keeping lampard. The away jersey is nice (but really only in comparison to the home jersey IMO which i will never buy)
It seems that everything is going wrong for us at this moment, which is fine, but it seems to add to the misinformation that they are selling to us....it looked like at times, they weren't even trying last night...and i wish that i could say it was a one time thing, but i don't feel it has been.

I want to see definite stadium plans as well, i would hate to see this team fold!

so many people are underestimating the red rape and strings that need to be pulled to build ANYTHING in this city. money is never the issue here is the politics and once an area is sort of rumored as potential spot for a stadium then Nimby's comes out and other local politicians saying they dont want it in their neighborhood. then that delays or kills the project.
I get that aspect but everything has a price, politicians can be bought we know that. This is the Sheik right? All bark no bite, anything can be done for right amount of money. Policitical obstacles are just a way for stakeholders to get their cut, they but up a fight which is code for pay me or build something in my district for constituents etc.

You have a good point...this team does seem to be a money generating machine tho...thats evident at the merch stores and selling out of everything.

In addition to the points you make, it would have been nice to see this team depart from their ownership a bit...instead of being man city jr. Everything from the jersey design to keeping lampart. The awat jersey is nice (but really only in comparison to the home jersey IMO which i will never buy)
It seems that everything is going wrong for us at this moment, which is fine, but it seems to add to the misinformation that they are selling to us....it looked like at times, they weren't even trying last night...and i wish that i could say it was a one time thing, but i don't feel it has been.

I want to see definite stadium plans as well, i would hate to see this team fold!
good point on the jersey, I mean i am struggling to find one thing that this team has actually gotten right.

I am behind them 100% and my support will not waver but we deserve more that this point, we as fans have stepped up and held up our end, that is evident at every game. I am not saying we need wins but we need a plan and ownership needs to stop blowing smoke and follow through on what they say.

Reactions: Paul and Drainyoo
I get that aspect but everything has a price, politicians can be bought we know that. This is the Sheik right? All bark no bite, anything can be done for right amount of money. Policitical obstacles are just a way for stakeholders to get their cut, they but up a fight which is code for pay me or build something in my district for constituents etc.
true but Sheik got no pull here, the Steinbrenners do, and probably nothing will be done until if and when they want to do something about it.

The success will taste that much better....just keep repeating it. The losses are very important to a club. I hate losing but it only makes us stronger. Its cliche as F*** but the truth. There will be decisions we love ... and ones we HATE. We just need to stand tall at all times. If we came into this season undefeated or leading the East, we would be in for an earful. Struggles will only prove our desire to be the best.

good point on the jersey, I mean i am struggling to find one thing that this team has actually gotten right.

I am behind them 100% and my support will not waver but we deserve more that this point, we as fans have stepped up and held up our end, that is evident at every game. I am not saying we need wins but we need a plan and ownership needs to stop blowing smoke and follow through on what they say.

Thats so true, we have done more than our part as fans! They gave us a team and we gave support....we sold what like over 15000 season tickets, cmon give us some value for what we paid. If these indecisions keep happening, i don't see all 15000 of the season ticket holders keeping up their seats

true but Sheik got no pull here, the Steinbrenners do, and probably nothing will be done until if and when they want to do something about it.

I mean case in point, we had a deal with GAL elevator for the best possible location, a proven one, we know the team can draw in a big way at the YS location. What happened? GAL upped their asking price and we walked away. Really? That is bush league stuff , contrary to what CFG has told us they were. Get the location, pay GAL, throw some money around, get it done.

The success will taste that much better....just keep repeating it. The losses are very important to a club. I hate losing but it only makes us stronger. Its cliche as F*** but the truth. There will be decisions we love ... and ones we HATE. We just need to stand tall at all times. If we came into this season undefeated or leading the East, we would be in for an earful. Struggles will only prove our desire to be the best.
to me its not about success on the field, its everything else. I am fine with on field struggles year one, that is to be expected. Just get me 3 DP's, get me a stadium and get me diamonds in the rough found through the CFG network etc. They are half assing it right now, unwilling to spend on the stadium site (could buy GAL out for the right price), not spending on DP's etc.

Reactions: NYCFC914
I mean case in point, we had a deal with GAL elevator for the best possible location, a proven one, we know the team can draw in a big way at the YS location. What happened? GAL upped their asking price and we walked away. Really? That is bush league stuff , contrary to what CFG has told us they were. Get the location, pay GAL, throw some money around, get it done.
fair point but maybe GAL doesnt want to negotiate? if it was 20 million then went to 200 million, take it or leave it? so NYCFC left.

this is why i feel the right people have negotiate and not half ass it.

CFG - " we have a world class scouting system, NYCFC will benefit greatly from this and sign players that most MLS teams never would find because our scouting network is so advanced"

Outcome - Welcome to the club RJ Allen - haha, what a joke

It might be time to temper expectations a little bit. I personally thought we'd be better than we are now, but it's pretty hard to be an expansion club in the MLS. You can't sign free agents and you have a team of players who were available to your team because 1 - they weren't a DP and 2 - they weren't one of the 11 best players for the future of their previous club.

Those are pretty hard hurdles to get over, even if you are able to sign a few DPs and can get a name or two from overseas to come play for a mediocre salary in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Unfortunately, we had a few media embarrassments with the Lampard sagas and the stadium, but a lot of good things are happening too. The Stadium has been well attended and had a good atmosphere for most games. It has proven to be a convenient and fun spot to gather as fans. Overall, it is working out much better than most hoped it would. We also have some young players in Mix, Shelton, Mullins, and Poku who could be our core in the next few seasons. And we've had great play from Saunders that has kept us in games.

Yes, our backline has been rough and can't keep its shape. Yes, we seem lost in the final third. Yes, we've only won a point in the last 7 games, but screw it, I've followed the MLS for a long time and never had a home team. I've had more fun this MLS season following a terrible NYCFC team than I ever had when trying to force myself to like the Red Bulls/MetroStars.

The good thing is we've still got two DPs to add to this team. Lampard will hopefully help organize things going forward and a decent center back should be able to help organize our defense.

We're ten weeks in, we stink, and we're only 3 points out of the play-off race with an equally bad Chicago team coming to New York this Friday.

Keep the faith, stay the road, and I think following NYCFC in the long-run will definitely be worth it.

Edit: I guess in the end, the other stuff will come, but these things move slowly. There will be tons of red tape with the stadium. Finding the right player willing to come to the City, of the right playing level, and at the right costs is time consuming. You can't just jump on anyone for the third slot.

Anyway, I guess what I am saying is when winning starts happening -- the rest will seem less important and frustrating. (hopefully)

Last edited:
I would say do date the NYCFC project has been an abject failure. The list of follies is quite long for a young club. I understand growing pains but when the relationship with Man City is so highly touted then the experience in running a club should soften the learning curve. Where are the Man City youth players? Where is the young players we have gotten from the so called "world class" man city scouting system? Where is our stadium? Where are the "3" DP's that were promised? Not much here to be optimistic about, its not like we have 3 younger DP's and a bunch of promising talent who need to gain experience and gel. Again, I understand this is an expansion club and there needs to be a certain level of patience but the difference here is the bill of goods we have been sold. If the message from the beginning was to be patient, this is a long process etc then that is one thing but that wasnt the case. NYCFC has put their foot in their mouth and bitten off more than they could chew. My advice to them fire Frank Lampard and on the first day of the summer window bring in 2 young DP's to build this team around. And GET A STADIUM DEAL DONE, enough with this nonsense, pick a location and pay for it, put your money with your mouth is. All this shit talking about the Sheik and how rich he is and how he is such a great owner and will invest etc. Lets see it, secure a location and pay through the nose for it, otherwise shut up. Money gets things done , the lack of a stadium deal is a direct reflection of not wanting to spend money, trust me, this gets done if NYCFC just pays for everything and gives some rec space to the city etc. There is no indication that this team is willing to spend money, evident from both the stadium and the DP situation. MAN CITY OUT

I agree with you for the most part. The stadium thing is tough. It's NYC and real estate is hard to come by.

But on the field, there is no excuse for them to be this bad. They pitched us a winning team from the start. I didn't expect them to win the MLS Cup in the first season, but I expected more than what we're getting now. They need to get some better players in here, even non-DP. At this point, I can't wait for Lampard. They need them BADLY, and his contract ain't going away.

But they can improve on the non-DP side. They have to or this season is dead.

Reactions: NYCFC914
I've said from the beginning I would be shocked if this team made the playoffs, and that was before Mix joined etc. I still feel this way, maybe more of you are starting to agree. However there is no reason why NYCFC doesn't sign a 3rd DP. There is also no reason that they can't upgrade certain aspects of the roster. I get its a snail race for stadium builds in NYC. I don't know if I have faith they will ever get it done, but I never expected anything in year 1. But this roster has holes that can be filled but are not. I won't pass final judgement until the end of the next window, but it's coming fast, and the MLS season won't wait.

Reactions: Jack
I've said from the beginning I would be shocked if this team made the playoffs, and that was before Mix joined etc. I still feel this way, maybe more of you are starting to agree. However there is no reason why NYCFC doesn't sign a 3rd DP. There is also no reason that they can't upgrade certain aspects of the roster. I get its a snail race for stadium builds in NYC. I don't know if I have faith they will ever get it done, but I never expected anything in year 1. But this roster has holes that can be filled but are not. I won't pass final judgement until the end of the next window, but it's coming fast, and the MLS season won't wait.
I hear you, I dont think playoffs are a very reasonable expecation in year one. But, had CFG done this the right way, we would be in better shape. I.E. - no lampard and two other younger, core type DP's to start the season. There is no reason why we shouldnt have villa plus two DP's to build the club around for a long time. They dont have to be international superstars, more of the diego valeri mold

I agree with you for the most part. The stadium thing is tough. It's NYC and real estate is hard to come by.

But on the field, there is no excuse for them to be this bad. They pitched us a winning team from the start. I didn't expect them to win the MLS Cup in the first season, but I expected more than what we're getting now. They need to get some better players in here, even non-DP. At this point, I can't wait for Lampard. They need them BADLY, and his contract ain't going away.

But they can improve on the non-DP side. They have to or this season is dead.

The issue is that a new team's hands are really tied when it comes to getting a quality roster in year 1. You don't have free agency. You have to mind the salary cap when seeking players from other leagues. You need to abide by the FIFA transfer window rules. You pretty much are guaranteed to be starting with a team of players on the downside of their careers, coming off serious injury, or being from the lower leagues. We were really fortunate to find guys like Nemec and Mix to add to them. Now we need to get two more DPs on the field.

This isn't baseball where you can revamp a roster overnight. Expansion teams are almost set up to be bad in this league but we have to just hope that the team's network of scouting and coaching resources can overcome the cards stacked against it in the next few years.

I disagree, this is much easier than baseball, you have talent all over the world, and there are plenty of free agents available, not in MLS but ones that come from the other 100 or so leagues in the world much of which are better than MLS. Bringing new talent into the league is what needs to be done , not retread MLS lifers.

Reactions: Gavin23