Messi To Nycfc After A Stint At Mc

1. I would love to see Messi here if he is healthy and still has the talent to produce in MLS. Moreover I just don't want a team of one player, we need a team around him that can support his play.

2. That being said, I think that paying these sums of money for players just increases the value for everyone else in the world. A rising tide floats all boats. With MLS salary rules now, it would be harder to sign the stars that this league needs. With parity being such a key issue in MLS, it would hurt the growth of the league.

Still, let that CFG throw their fun coupons around. Aguero and Messi, oh boy.

The key to me is "when."

If they would put in the deal that he comes to NYCFC whenever MCFC is done with him, I strongly dislike the attitude about this - a long term strategy of just tossing us "name" players when they can no longer hack it in Champions League play.

If they are talking something like 4 years at MCFC, 4 years at NYCFC, meaning we get him with still a strong 2-4 years in the tank, then hell yes.

That said, who plans out player acquisitions 4 years in advance? I think that tells me the situation is more like the former and less like the latter.

EDIT: Also, the source is The Sun. In other words, it's not true.

Last edited:
The key to me is "when."

If they would put in the deal that he comes to NYCFC whenever MCFC is done with him, I strongly dislike the attitude about this - a long term strategy of just tossing us "name" players when they can no longer hack it in Champions League play.

If they are talking something like 4 years at MCFC, 4 years at NYCFC, meaning we get him with still a strong 2-4 years in the tank, then hell yes.

That said, who plans out player acquisitions 4 years in advance? I think that tells me the situation is more like the former and less like the latter.

Agreed. He's 28 now. Say the deal goes through in this transfer window or even at the end of this league season. He would be in Man City from age 28/29-32/33 (4 years) and then with NYCFC from 32/33-35/36 (3 years). This would be the same age when Villa signed with us.

Reactions: Kjbert
So if I'm getting this correct, we could possibly have Messi along side Villa for a year. Just try to imagine being a goalie/defensive line faced up against those two up front with Yaya Toure and the legendary Poku lined up behind them. Lol I'm gonna go back to playing Fifa ultimate team.

So if I'm getting this correct, we could possibly have Messi along side Villa for a year. Just try to imagine being a goalie/defensive line faced up against those two up front with Yaya Toure and the legendary Poku lined up behind them. Lol I'm gonna go back to playing Fifa ultimate team.

Villa signed a three year deal with NYCFC. If it's three years from when he signed in 2014 then it's the end of the 2016 season. If it's three years from when he began playing in MLS then it's the end of the 2017 season. Messi would show up by 2019/2020. So unless we resign Villa and he would be around 37/38 when Messi arrives, the two wouldn't be playing together.

Aaaahhhh. My first cup of coffee and thoughts of Messi in NYCFC blue.

MC pursuing Messi this summer for 550 millions pounds ($828 million) if he agrees to a stint at NYCFC.
Why did no one tell me silly season had started?
I just don't want a team of one player, we need a team around him that can support his play.
By "support his play" you mean stand around and cheer while he dribbles around 5 defenders and scores?

I'll play that role.

Being realistic, Messi is 28 years old. That age is also known as the prime year of a soccer players career.

There is no way we get Messi in the next two years. At best we might get him in four years. But for someone of his caliber, I don't really expect to see him until he is 34, which would be six more years.

Sidenote: Never play a presidential debate drinking game where the rule is to take a drink whenever a candidate says something insubstantial.

Villa signed a three year deal with NYCFC. If it's three years from when he signed in 2014 then it's the end of the 2016 season. If it's three years from when he began playing in MLS then it's the end of the 2017 season. Messi would show up by 2019/2020. So unless we resign Villa and he would be around 37/38 when Messi arrives, the two wouldn't be playing together.
Okay okay, I'm sorry I didn't have all the details, but the point of what I was say is that it was satire. I think it is a bit ridiculous to have all of those names on the field at the same time for one club without it being a video game. That would be really cool but I don't see it happening. If we really wanted to see Messi in Yankee Stadium (lol, hope not), I think he would need to be 37 or 38 when Man City is gonna be done getting jersey sales from the guy.

Last edited:
The key to me is "when."

i don't know about you, i will take Messi when he is in his late 30s

How so? New PL deal kicks in and there is a lot more money coming. Plus the new Chinese connection has dumped a load of cash into the group. This is very doable

The new PL TV deal is 'only' worth an extra $60m to each of the teams in the league. It will increase Man City's revenue to about $600m but the figures they're talking about here would be impossible under FFP. No team could spend more than their annual revenue on a single player.

THIS is why it's good to be associated with (slash, a "feeder team" for) a team like Man City.

Getting to see Messi every week would be amazing, even if he comes to us at 38! Same with someone like Zlatan - I bet he'd tear up the league in his 40s.

Why did no one tell me silly season had started?
thumbs-up.jpg

Reactions: FootyLovin
The new PL TV deal is 'only' worth an extra $60m to each of the teams in the league. It will increase Man City's revenue to about $600m but the figures they're talking about here would be impossible under FFP. No team could spend more than their annual revenue on a single player.
That's the TV deal..... the real money will be in merchandising / marketing Messi-related jerseys and appearances. That is the gold mine! Until now, the only Messi jerseys are Argentina and Barca, but to add a ManCity jersey to the equation would fund a small 3rd world nation, and then when Messi moved to NYCFC, it'd be a chance to double-dip on the merchandising / marketing front. This isn't even taking into account what having Messi on the team(s) would do for trophies and club valuation.....

CFG may break the proverbial bank to bring Messi to MCFC/NYCFC, but the move to MCFC will produce a greater return on the investment and then the move to NYCFC will be the gravy on top.

It's like Disney with the new Star Wars..... they paid $4B for the Star Wars franchise which would seem like a lot, but last night it was announced that they expect $2.5B profit on ticket sales and another $2.5B from marketing/merchandise, for a net profit of $1B, and that's before the next two cash-cow installments are made.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ