Mikkel "Mix" Diskerud [Midfielder]

Wait a minute... if the club bought out his contract, why is he still under contract with MLS???
Maybe NYCFC retains first refusal rights?

Wait a minute... if the club bought out his contract, why is he still under contract with MLS???
Needs to clear waivers, don't release him from his MLS contract if another team wants him.

Last I heard Columbus and RSL were interested.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam

Because he's still getting paid. This releases his cap hit from NYCFC's roster, but it doesn't end Mix's compensation. So technically he's still MLS property as his contract plays itself out. I suppose if he were to transfer to another team, "MLS" would make the move instead of NYCFC.

We have always understood he had a no-trade clause. If that is correct, this could mean that he can refuse to go to another MLS team and still get paid. It might, and I definitely emphasize might, mean that MLS can keep him from playing elsewhere in other leagues as long as they pay him and as long as he refuses to play in MLS.

Claiming a Guaranteed Player

If a player with a guaranteed contract is waived, any interested MLS club will have 48 hours from the notice of waivers to claim the player by notifying the League Office of the intention to claim the player and the amount of the player's salary budget charge. The player will be awarded to the club willing to absorb the highest salary budget charge. In the event that the highest salary budget charge is submitted by more than one club, the player will be awarded to the club with the lowest points per game average.

If a player with a guaranteed contract is waived, any interested MLS club will have 48 hours from the notice of waivers to claim the player by notifying the League Office of the intention to claim the player and the amount of the player's salary budget charge. The player will be awarded to the club willing to absorb the highest salary budget charge. In the event that the highest salary budget charge is submitted by more than one club, the player will be awarded to the club with the lowest points per game average.
Stills seems subject to his no trade clause.

Because he's still getting paid. This releases his cap hit from NYCFC's roster, but it doesn't end Mix's compensation. So technically he's still MLS property as his contract plays itself out. I suppose if he were to transfer to another team, "MLS" would make the move instead of NYCFC.

You sir are correct.

Wonder what happens to his no trade clause.

His watch has finally ended.

Reactions: RubinNYC

Interestingly, the CBA provides that the team must give 48 hours notice before using the buy-out, which presumably means two days before the Roster Compliance Date. That would mean that other teams may have been notified about the waiver notice 2 days ago, triggering the 48 hour waiver period, which would therefore be over now, and, he, therefore, may already be on another team. Upon only a quick glance, I can't find anything in the CBA or rules as to how a no-trade clause affects the waiver process, if at all (which may be addressed separately in Mix's specific player agreement).

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
giphy.gif