Mikkel "Mix" Diskerud [Midfielder]

I heartily disagree -- it's very short-sighted. If $750k is $500k more than he'd get elsewhere, he'll cost himself that money in just a couple of years by acting in a way that will make teams stay away.

What way is he acting? Adhering to a contract? At 26, 28 when hes out of contract, the big bucks aren't going to come unless he's got that level of skill. And to be frank, I don't think he has that level of skill.

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is athletics as a business. The vast majority of players are going to be broke after they retire. Get paid while you can.

Additionally you do realize that he could take the pay cut and go play at some place like the Timbers or something but that is no guarantee of success to a degree that would make up both the money hes lost topline and in terms of the time value of money. That's totally disregarding the very real possibility that he blows out his knee the first game back and can never play professional soccer again. The downside potential is massive for Mix, the upside is rather less so.

What way is he acting? Adhering to a contract? At 26, 28 when hes out of contract, the big bucks aren't going to come unless he's got that level of skill. And to be frank, I don't think he has that level of skill.

Do you think he went from 27 appearances in 2015 to 12 in 2016 to not even being rostered for the pre-season in 2017 based simply on his skill (or lack thereof)? Do you think NYCFC has been trying to trade him to someone without paying some of his salary? Think about it -- would you rather pay him $750,000 to not play or $500,000 not to play?

Nobody wants to touch this guy and there has to be a reason for it. He's going to make his $750,000 whether or not he plays this year and he appears to be choosing to sit out.

He's also costing himself whatever money he could have made on the USMNT because he hasn't sniffed the roster in over a year.

He refers to 'a man' and I'm pretty certain that man is PV because that's when everything started to change. If it's Reyna then tough shit. Your decision, live with it, deal with it.

If it's PV then he basically said, you're not part of my plan and you're taking up a large chunk of cap space. Please agree to a transfer.
In that case, Mix isn't a moron. Why the hell would be drop that salary for a quarter or half of it. Would any of you? Hell no.

Sorry but I'm #TeamMix all the way.

Do you think he went from 27 appearances in 2015 to 12 in 2016 to not even being rostered for the pre-season in 2017 based simply on his skill (or lack thereof)? Do you think NYCFC has been trying to trade him to someone without paying some of his salary? Think about it -- would you rather pay him $750,000 to not play or $500,000 not to play?

Nobody wants to touch this guy and there has to be a reason for it. He's going to make his $750,000 whether or not he plays this year and he appears to be choosing to sit out.

He's also costing himself whatever money he could have made on the USMNT because he hasn't sniffed the roster in over a year.
Well, we know (as much as anyone ever knows anything in these situations) the "nobody wants to touch this guy" part of your speculation is wrong because it's been noted that there was at least one team right here in MLS that wanted him, and he vetoed the deal.

As to the rest of it, you're pretty much saying the same thing but phrasing it as though you disagree with JGarrettLieb JGarrettLieb's points.

Did he fall off the team simply based on lack of skill? Probably not, not with the players we had in 2016. Does it really matter, no. Hes not playing for whatever reason.

NYCFC would rather pay him zero dollars. But your fundamentally misunderstanding the bargaining position here.

Exactly nothing happens without Mix's say so. We can't trade him, we can renegotiate salary, we can't have him moved. Mix doesn't want to leave, he doesn't leave. The whole would your rather pay him less is completely irrelevant if its Mix saying he won't move and its abundantly clear the club wants Mix to move. What is clear is, for whatever reason, this has come down to a pissing contest between the club and the player, whoever blinks first looses.

Its not like he qualifies for free agency at the end of whatever tenure at another club he would go to. Assume he plays two years somewhere else, hes then stuck there or has to go through the reentry draft.

Why do you assume he can make it back on the USMNT? It looks to me like he was a marginal player under Klinsey, who probably got some extra looks because he was in a European league.

Basically.. Mix hit the jackpot with Reyna wanting to bring in a USMNT guy (remember the American flags?) and we put all of our $$$$ in 4 guys (2 of who played the same fucking position) which left us with little leverage to sign above average players to fill out our roster and be successful.
This all falls entirely on our FO and I hope to god we learn and grow from it. This will go down as one of the worst deals in MLS history. Through no fault of mix. We can all agree that we built a horrible roster in our first year. Based on decisions made then our second year roster was slightly better. Our 3rd year is probably good. Once we clear those initial contracts off our books entirely (next year) we will finally reach roster greatness.

He refers to 'a man' and I'm pretty certain that man is PV because that's when everything started to change. If it's Reyna then tough shit. Your decision, live with it, deal with it.

If it's PV then he basically said, you're not part of my plan and you're taking up a large chunk of cap space. Please agree to a transfer.
In that case, Mix isn't a moron. Why the hell would be drop that salary for a quarter or half of it. Would any of you? Hell no.

It's not Mix's fault the team signed him to that contract. Mix is entitled to every last penny.

#TheMoneyTeam

Did he fall off the team simply based on lack of skill? Probably not, not with the players we had in 2016. Does it really matter, no. Hes not playing for whatever reason.

NYCFC would rather pay him zero dollars. But your fundamentally misunderstanding the bargaining position here.

Exactly nothing happens without Mix's say so. We can't trade him, we can renegotiate salary, we can't have him moved. Mix doesn't want to leave, he doesn't leave. The whole would your rather pay him less is completely irrelevant if its Mix saying he won't move and its abundantly clear the club wants Mix to move. What is clear is, for whatever reason, this has come down to a pissing contest between the club and the player, whoever blinks first looses.

Its not like he qualifies for free agency at the end of whatever tenure at another club he would go to. Assume he plays two years somewhere else, hes then stuck there or has to go through the reentry draft.

Why do you assume he can make it back on the USMNT? It looks to me like he was a marginal player under Klinsey, who probably got some extra looks because he was in a European league.

I think you're fundamentally agreeing with me but missing my point.

I agree he's in the drivers seat. I also agree he deserves his $750k. But as I said above, he'll get his $750k regardless of where he plays and whether or not he plays. It's logical for NYCFC to pay any amount above and beyond his market value to get at least his market value off the books.

If any team are willing to pay him $200k, it would be logical for NYCFC to trade him there and make up the difference rather than pay him the full amount. Heck if anyone was willing to pay him league minimum if would still save us money.

So the only logical conclusion I can come to is that either nobody wants him at any price OR that he'd prefer not to play and is exercising his right to do so while still collecting his full salary.

That either reflect very poorly on Mix' skill (which I find hard to believe), his work ethic or his desire to be a football player.

I also don't assume he'd make the USMNT, but I certainly do assume he has no shot if he's not playing.

I think you're fundamentally agreeing with me but missing my point.

I agree he's in the drivers seat. I also agree he deserves his $750k. But as I said above, he'll get his $750k regardless of where he plays and whether or not he plays. It's logical for NYCFC to pay any amount above and beyond his market value to get at least his market value off the books.

If any team are willing to pay him $200k, it would be logical for NYCFC to trade him there and make up the difference rather than pay him the full amount. Heck if anyone was willing to pay him league minimum if would still save us money.

So the only logical conclusion I can come to is that either nobody wants him at any price OR that he'd prefer not to play and is exercising his right to do so while still collecting his full salary.

That either reflect very poorly on Mix' skill (which I find hard to believe), his work ethic or his desire to be a football player.

I also don't assume he'd make the USMNT, but I certainly do assume he has no shot if he's not playing.

1. There were rumors there was a team in the MLS willing to take him (presumably at a $200k salary, or thereabouts). But Mix was the one who declined the deal with his no trade clause.
2. I'm wondering if Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is a little off on his analysis of unchecked power. But somewhat on point as well. Maybe once Mix rejected the one team that would take him and relieve some of the cost from the club's books, they said we'll fuck you right back and hold you till the last possible second. Therefore, I'm thinking they didn't intend to fuck him from the start, but when he pissed them off then sure made up their minds to.

Since everyone else is speculating too ....

If Mix has a deal lined up to play in Norway on a free transfer in which he takes a pay cut, the sweet spot for making the move and training with his new team during preseason for an April start of play is probably this week or next week.

Reactions: adam
Since everyone else is speculating too ....

If Mix has a deal lined up to play in Norway on a free transfer in which he takes a pay cut, the sweet spot for making the move and training with his new team during preseason for an April start of play is probably this week or next week.
I would almost guarantee Mix has a Norwegian club lined up for next week. Nycfc has been transferring in players with what appears to be the money they will save cutting Mix, and they just need to be compliant come the 2nd by filing Mix's Pink Slip. Come Sunday, hopefully this discussion comes to a final ending.

Reactions: Sabo and adam
anyone know what his salary is going to be with that new Norwegian club?
There is no new Norwegian club. We assume there is, and he likely laid the groundwork when he was last over there, but nothing has been announced and without that, there's no way to really speculate as every club has different spending structures.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Waiting on everyone to wake up so this place can lose its mind.
I honestly don't find anything about this surprising, other than that he finally put his perspective in prose. From his perspective, as we have always believed was/is his perspective, the team has buyer's remorse and has been attempting to force him to cave and accept another less favorable deal, or snap and provide cause for the team to terminate. It doesn't include the team's perspective as to what, if anything, beyond buyer's remorse contributed to the stand-off, which could have been significant, or could have been manufactured (I believe it's likely somewhere in between). Maybe now we hear the other side, maybe not. Maybe PV presents his own perspective in prose, likely not including words that rhyme with "proud" or "brave." In any event, and regardless of perspectives, the team has played this poorly from day 1 (signing/contract) to present, in several respects. I am sure that Mix is at fault to some degree, to the extent that we may or may not learn. Putting your thoughts in rhyme and reciting movie quotes (and having a great agent/employment attorney) do not necessarily mean that you do not deserve some of the blame.

To me, the interesting/frightening parts of the "poem" are those that suggest that there are other repercussions or obstacles to using the cut (as we had guessed). And that we already burned through the $$$$$ (assuming that there is any/to the extent there is any).

Hopefully, very soon, some how, some way, this is the end, beautiful friend.

Reactions: adam
To me, the interesting/frightening parts of the "poem" are those that suggest that there are other repercussions or obstacles to using the cut (as we had guessed). And that we already burned through the $$$$$ (assuming that there is any/to the extent there is any).
That's the big thing right there. If the league did cut us a break on this signing what do we lose out on if we do our buyout.

Reactions: adam and JayH
I honestly don't find anything about this surprising, other than that he finally put his perspective in prose. From his perspective, as we have always believed was/is his perspective, the team has buyer's remorse and has been attempting to force him to cave and accept another less favorable deal, or snap and provide cause for the team to terminate. It doesn't include the team's perspective as to what, if anything, beyond buyer's remorse contributed to the stand-off, which could have been significant, or could have been manufactured (I believe it's likely somewhere in between). Maybe now we hear the other side, maybe not. Maybe PV presents his own perspective in prose, likely not including words that rhyme with "proud" or "brave." In any event, and regardless of perspectives, the team has played this poorly from day 1 (signing/contract) to present, in several respects. I am sure that Mix is at fault to some degree, to the extent that we may or may not learn. Putting your thoughts in rhyme and reciting movie quotes (and having a great agent/employment attorney) do not necessarily mean that you do not deserve some of the blame.

Hopefully, very soon, some how, some way, this is the end, beautiful friend.

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite.