MLS Cup Playoffs - December 5 - Philadelphia (Away)

so far all the predictions articles i've read have us losing in philly.

time to destroy more brackets!!!

fair point is that most of them note missing taty is our biggest loss since he's such an engine up top constantly keeping the CBs busy, which is probably his biggest benefit. He's also a HUGE aerial threat, which we don't really have otherwise.

heber is not fit enough to do what we know he can do. anybody else who would step in are either also not fit enough or too inexperienced to know what to do. our attack will look very different and philly have good CBs.

To win this game, we're going to have to rely on our short passing and creativity around the box or a ruthless counter attack.

so far all the predictions articles i've read have us losing in philly.

time to destroy more brackets!!!

fair point is that most of them note missing taty is our biggest loss since he's such an engine up top constantly keeping the CBs busy, which is probably his biggest benefit. He's also a HUGE aerial threat, which we don't really have otherwise.

heber is not fit enough to do what we know he can do. anybody else who would step in are either also not fit enough or too inexperienced to know what to do. our attack will look very different and philly have good CBs.

To win this game, we're going to have to rely on our short passing and creativity around the box or a ruthless counter attack.

its fair. losing taty is huge. however with maxi and santi still around there is still a chance. They can create chances to thiago or whoever will take taty spot.

the biggest concern is losing sands, if he is out then i feel that hurts more as we lose alot in the midfield.

Reactions: Kjbert and Vallos
I almost wonder if with Taty being out, Ronny starts Thiago on the right instead of Medina to provide some more offensive spark.

I say we start jasson on the right and let him drive wagner absolutely batshit crazy with frustration. martinez will get angry and come over to help. both of them will get sent off at some point for essentially doing WWE moves on jasson. we go up 2 men, jasson gets subbed off due to injuries, and we finish off the game with refreshed attack.

all kidding aside, thiago on the right sounds good but i worry about his tracking back to help gray. two inexperienced guys on the right flank might prove to be too exposing. maybe if we start isi on the right, santi on the left. thiago as the #9?

Reactions: Victors87
I almost wonder if with Taty being out, Ronny starts Thiago on the right instead of Medina to provide some more offensive spark.
Isi was playing the striker, doing the Taty-like work on top during the last minutes of the NE game.

That being said, I think we see Thiago at striker and having him run at the Philly CBs.

Am I the only one thinking it’s going to be Talles? I think he’s the only one aside from Heber that has similar qualities to Taty who while is a step down has gone a whole game.

he has size but i dont think he has been able to use it to his advantage as of yet. plus also not 90 minute fit? well see, it might be a mix of all three Brazilians.

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
Am I the only one thinking it’s going to be Talles? I think he’s the only one aside from Heber that has similar qualities to Taty who while is a step down has gone a whole game.
I think it has to be Talles starting. Unless Heber has it in him to start.

Thiago has barely played minutes at the 9 this year and hasn't shown the capability to really do so. Unless we want to play a bunker and counter (we don't and we won't) then what's the point of Thiago at the 9 since he can't hold up and his link up is meh. Tajouri-Shradi is in the same boat.

I just can't see how it's anyone but Talles or Heber and I'm assuming Heber simply doesn't yet have the fitness to start and play more than a half yet.

Reactions: Marito and moogoo
Good answers already. Like JCMore JCMore I think we [should] get Talles up top. Like M moogoo I also have concerns about Thiago as a Medina replacement for reasons unrelated to offense. But my prediction is we just get Medina again.

I think it has to be Talles starting. Unless Heber has it in him to start.

Thiago has barely played minutes at the 9 this year and hasn't shown the capability to really do so. Unless we want to play a bunker and counter (we don't and we won't) then what's the point of Thiago at the 9 since he can't hold up and his link up is meh. Tajouri-Shradi is in the same boat.

I just can't see how it's anyone but Talles or Heber and I'm assuming Heber simply doesn't yet have the fitness to start and play more than a half yet.

After thinking it over, perhaps the most logical thing would be to split the halves between talles and heber. whoever has more fitness starts.

really curious about sands though. i'm surprised no one asked about his status during the post game last night.

After thinking it over, perhaps the most logical thing would be to split the halves between talles and heber. whoever has more fitness starts.

really curious about sands though. i'm surprised no one asked about his status during the post game last night.

Why not start Heber even if he has only 30 min in him I know the tradition is to save a guy like that for subs but I don't see why it matters in this situation. Heber is a veteran that can provide a stabilizing presence, help the team settle into an offensive flow with his strong link-up play, and see if he can get us a goal. Then bring Telles or Thaigo on later in the game let them run at people, if we have a lead it takes some pressure off them and if we are chasing a lead they can use their speed and skill to be super aggressive.

Reactions: Aleeksa
Why not start Heber even if he has only 30 min in him I know the tradition is to save a guy like that for subs but I don't see why it matters in this situation. Heber is a veteran that can provide a stabilizing presence, help the team settle into an offensive flow with his strong link-up play, and see if he can get us a goal. Then bring Telles or Thaigo on later in the game let them run at people, if we have a lead it takes some pressure off them and if we are chasing a lead they can use their speed and skill to be super aggressive.

if he only has 30 mins in him, it's not good enough to start. you don't want to make an early sub like that for multiple reasons. so the fitter of the two should start and they should be at least fit enough to put in a solid half. not struggling to play a half.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
if he only has 30 mins in him, it's not good enough to start. you don't want to make an early sub like that for multiple reasons. so the fitter of the two should start and they should be at least fit enough to put in a solid half. not struggling to play a half.
I think this works if he can go 45. With 5 subs it's fine to burn one at the half. But you definitely don't want to lose one of your 3 sub windows with a 31' sub.

A few of you just brought up what I've wanted to write. Maybe some of y'all know more then I do, but Heber has been back in training for over two months now. He should be fit for 60 minutes, no? Is it he doesn't have that stamina anymore or is it a worry about his knee giving out? Only the team knows his true fitness, but if he's fit enough for 60min he should start. I agree with gbservis gbservis that Heber will have a calming impact on the team. Starting Magno at the age of 19 in this spot worries me. He has been the constant replacement for Taty though. LionNYC LionNYC also pointed out ITS was playing the striker duties when Taty came off. If fitness is an issue he can't be starting either considering how little he has played over the past two months. How can he give 60 if Heber cant?

Also curious/worried how the mid field and defense shakes out. Depends on who is healthy, but if Grey is out and Sands is healthy do we see Jimmy at RB? Is that a better option then Gudi or Malte out of position? I just pray its not Jasson back there. Is 3 ATB possible? We've deployed that against the Union and it has worked really well this season.

I could write a thesis with the amount of possibilities we can throw out their as a line up, but we won't know a thing until we know whos practicing and who isn't.

I think this works if he can go 45. With 5 subs it's fine to burn one at the half. But you definitely don't want to lose one of your 3 sub windows with a 31' sub.

exactly. splitting the halves is fine. but if he can barely make 30 mins, he shouldn't start.

Also curious/worried how the mid field and defense shakes out. Depends on who is healthy, but if Grey is out and Sands is healthy do we see Jimmy at RB? Is that a better option then Gudi or Malte out of position? I just pray its not Jasson back there. Is 3 ATB possible? We've deployed that against the Union and it has worked really well this season.

gray is fine. he said himself in his post game that he only got a cramp and is otherwise fine.

With the chances of going into Extra time, I’d much rather see Heber start instead of having him come off the bench. Last thing we need is to go into ET with a gassed striker who can’t perform when it counts the most. Or worse. Bring him on in the second half and have to sub him out… *shudder*

Reactions: Kjbert and Sabo
With the chances of going into Extra time, I’d much rather see Heber start instead of having him come off the bench. Last thing we need is to go into ET with a gassed striker who can’t perform when it counts the most. Or worse. Bring him on in the second half and have to sub him out… *shudder*
I'd prefer the bring him on and take him off tactic, as long as he's okay with it. Most of us know that he can't go for a long time and thus it wouldn't be a shameful thing if it had to happen.

...That, or you bring him on to START extra time if it comes to that.