MLS Week 19

With the Col-DCU draw, if we get some help from some or all of RSL, SJ and Van at home in the late games, this could be a very good week from a making the playoffs perspective. RSL-NE seems the best watch.

With the Col-DCU draw, if we get some help from some or all of RSL, SJ and Van at home in the late games, this could be a very good week from a making the playoffs perspective. RSL-NE seems the best watch.

Agree with all of that, except that Columbus should be abreviated CLB. I had to do a double take to make sure you weren't talking about Colorado (COL).

Reactions: Viewfrom226
That 15 year old kid looks pretty good for Vancouver.

Reactions: JayH
A great week of results so far except for Colorado and Dallas winning.
I won't tell you not to hope but we'll have a tough time catching either. It's kind of hard to decide who has a bigger lead because of the crazy games played disparity, but I think it might actually be Colorado.

FCD right now has a 10 point lead but we have 2 games in hand. If we win both we have to overcome a 4-point gap in the other 12 common games.

COL has a 7-point lead but has a game in hand on us. If they win that we have to overcome a 10-point deficit in the 14 common games. Also Colorado has not lost since April 9.

Neither team has lost at home. Dallas has the same number of losses as us and Colorado has 4 fewer losses than us.

So I think catching Dallas probably won't happen but is in reach and mostly requires the Pigeons to play very, very well with no slumps the rest of the way. Catching Colorado requires something of a collapse from them. It could happen, but you never want to be in a position of needing the team you are chasing to collapse.

Reactions: adam
I won't tell you not to hope but we'll have a tough time catching either. It's kind of hard to decide who has a bigger lead because of the crazy games played disparity, but I think it might actually be Colorado.

FCD right now has a 10 point lead but we have 2 games in hand. If we win both we have to overcome a 4-point gap in the other 12 common games.

COL has a 7-point lead but has a game in hand on us. If they win that we have to overcome a 10-point deficit in the 14 common games. Also Colorado has not lost since April 9.

Neither team has lost at home. Dallas has the same number of losses as us and Colorado has 4 fewer losses than us.

So I think catching Dallas probably won't happen but is in reach and mostly requires the Pigeons to play very, very well with no slumps the rest of the way. Catching Colorado requires something of a collapse from them. It could happen, but you never want to be in a position of needing the team you are chasing to collapse.

I was going to say the same thing, but not as eloquently. No reason to focus on SS, it's not happening this season. And no shame in that. But we realistically can focus on winning the East and a CCL berth. Let's not take our eye off the prize (for a bigger unacheivable prize).

The important point to remember is we have head-2-head games coming up. Those alone are 3 point covered if we win. H-2-H is the fastest way to make the jump.

The important point to remember is we have head-2-head games coming up. Those alone are 3 point covered if we win. H-2-H is the fastest way to make the jump.
There's still an awful lot that has to go right, starting with Gotham City probably needing to get points at a 1.8 to 2.0 clip or even better over the remaining 14 games. We've actually done that over the last 12 games btw (1.92 PPG starting with the win against Vancouver). S0 keep dreaming, which I say here without cynicism or sarcasm. Why not. There's no harm in it and hope is a virtue.

There's still an awful lot that has to go right, starting with Gotham City probably needing to get points at a 1.8 to 2.0 clip or even better over the remaining 14 games. We've actually done that over the last 12 games btw (1.92 PPG starting with the win against Vancouver). S0 keep dreaming, which I say here without cynicism or sarcasm. Why not. There's no harm in it and hope is a virtue.
The next three games are massive. If we could some how steal wins in all three, not far-fetched since we've already achieved a 3&4 game win streaks, and we're playing two of them essentially at home/no travel, so we should be well rested.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
Very cool that we are even thinking about the prospect of the SS at this point in the season.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I was going to say the same thing, but not as eloquently. No reason to focus on SS, it's not happening this season. And no shame in that. But we realistically can focus on winning the East and a CCL berth. Let's not take our eye off the prize (for a bigger unacheivable prize).
I could be mistaken but if we came in 3rd in the east with only Toronto and Montreal beating us, don't we still get the CCL birth?

I could be mistaken but if we came in 3rd in the east with only Toronto and Montreal beating us, don't we still get the CCL birth?
Well, the corrupt incompetent hacks at CONCACAF have a page for Champions League Regulations on their website. Let's see what it looks like:
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 1.13.40 PM.png

So we have nothing to go on except Wikipedia, which says: " If a Canada-based team occupies any MLS-allocated berth, or any U.S-based team qualifies for the Champions League by more than one method, the Champions League place is allocated to the U.S.-based team with the best MLS regular season record which has failed to otherwise qualify."

To me that says that if the top team in the East is Canadian, then the US team with the next highest regular season point total in MLS -- regardless of conference -- gets the spot. That's also true for the top team in the West or MLS Cup Winner.

Well, the corrupt incompetent hacks at CONCACAF have a page for Champions League Regulations on their website. Let's see what it looks like:
View attachment 5330

So we have nothing to go on except Wikipedia, which says: " If a Canada-based team occupies any MLS-allocated berth, or any U.S-based team qualifies for the Champions League by more than one method, the Champions League place is allocated to the U.S.-based team with the best MLS regular season record which has failed to otherwise qualify."

To me that says that if the top team in the East is Canadian, then the US team with the next highest regular season point total in MLS -- regardless of conference -- gets the spot. That's also true for the top team in the West or MLS Cup Winner.
I very much agree with your interpretation. Thank you kind sir. I do find that to be a poor way of choosing the next slot because the west by the nature of the league will represent more than the east.

I do find that to be a poor way of choosing the next slot because the west by the nature of the league will represent more than the east.
I disagree. While I would love to make CCL I think if one conference has more dominant teams then I like them sending more to CL. If we were on the UEFA model that's how it would work. I kind of like it like that.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich