Montreal Postmatch

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Sorry guys. The Brit is asleep and I'm still at work.
Here's the Postmatch thread. I looked at my phone and saw we gave up a goal at 90+ and just laughed. What more can you do at this point.

I had an excellent view of Mix leaving the pitch after full time. He looked like someone had just run over his dog. Poku was rubbing his shoulders, trying to cheer him up.

I had an excellent view of Mix leaving the pitch after full time. He looked like someone had just run over his dog. Poku was rubbing his shoulders, trying to cheer him up.
I have no damn sympathy for this team.
  • We have given up only 2 goals in open play in 5 home games and we have no wins.
  • We gave up 3 goals at home in 5 games on free kicks.
  • Chicago also put the ball in the net on a free kick at YS but it was waived off on a very close offsides call.
  • Do they even practice defending free kicks?
  • It's just given that if the other team gets a free kick in good position they score.
  • Every single one of those 3 free kick goals cost us 2 points.

Sickener. When Mix laid off that ball at the end I could have died.

I maintain that this was a better performance than the last two though, with some nice play down the flanks.

People were yelling the team at the end to get forward - we did this odd thing when counter-attacking where the front four would all burst forward and the back six just sit there and let them do it. If we can get someone in there as an attacking midfielder (like a number 8 role, say) there will be some nice linkups.

Pirlo can't really do that role, although while he was alright further forward, I liked Bravo in the holding midfield role.

Referee was shocking. Most of our yellows were harsh, he made a lot of odd calls and that was our throw at the end, never a free kick.

And i'm totally ready to get Saunders out. He's a disastrous, panicky footballer. Throw the big goalie in.

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
Can somebody describe the play that RJ was injured on? I looked away for a second and next thing I know, he's hurt and calling for a physio. Kinda feel like the game changed when he went out - he had locked down that side of the field and stablized it unlike anything Iraola has done. Hope he's not hurt badly.

Reactions: Schwallacus
It's my fault, I panicked when I saw that Oduro wasn't starting and I sold him from my fantasy team right before kick off. At that moment I was sure he would come on late and score. Yup. My bad guys, sorry.

My rant is on the other thread oh well....what was people's opinion on the whole lights going off right after the goal with the effects....yay or nay
Every time the lights went off was pretty funny, was any of it on purpose?

At least we didn't tie it up on an own goal in the 89th like Portland did? Idk.

A lot of good in this game despite the loss:

- Brillant did a great job locking down Drogba
- Mata and Allen ran the flanks well, really impressed with Allen, did well on both ends, shame to see him go off hurt
- Bravo plays the cdm role well, gets key interceptions and breaks up plays
- Mendoza look dynamic and used his time well
- TMac on the wing worked, hopefully we see more of it
- Villa and Pirlo wants this game bad, both played hard

Some bad:
- Typical Saunders. Not only does he mess up often on distribution but he also never takes responsibility. In the first half he kicked a knuckling low line drive half way between Tmac and Mata completly unreachable by either and then yelled at them for not getting to it. He looks happy with himself every time he blasts it up field and gets it within 10 yards of Villa regardless of the fact that Villa is triple covered. Anytime he gets pressured and fluffs a pass he glares at the bench like "I told you playing it out of the back is a bad idea, why don't you listen to me." The guy sucks and he's delusional.

- Bad game tonight for Hernandez, distribution and marking were poor. Looked like last season Hernandez. He's been better in other games so maybe it was just an off night. Aside from Saunders he's our biggest barrier to playing out of the back.

- Lopez plays hard but had no Soccer IQ or offensive skills, not sure why he's starting over Mix.

Regardless of the negatives everyone played hard in the end every loss truly is on CFG for completely wasting 1 of our 3 precious DP spots for over a year at this point.

Every time the lights went off was pretty funny, was any of it on purpose?

I think so, I think it was part of the goal celebration. It mainly just felt odd, must look even stranger on tv.

My rant is on the other thread oh well....what was people's opinion on the whole lights going off right after the goal with the effects....yay or nay
It was cute, except when they accidentally set the effect off during our first attack of the match as TMac was taking the ball up the left wing. At that point I imagine it was a little distracting for the guys.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Did anybody else see Saunders run to midfield by the bench towards the end of the game and get into a heated exchange with somebody? I couldn't figure out why he'd leave his net when we were about to have a corner or free kick (don't remember which). It was just bizarre.