New England Post Match

Penso is an asshole. Not only did he not call the penalty on Villa, by the end of the game he was letting the Revs mug him and calling a foul the other way. When he missed the penalty, Villa yelled at him "look at the screen" when they showed the replay. The defender literally kicked him in the chest. It's as if Penso was more interested in showing he was right than making the correct calls.

That penalty changes the game.
Some little early 20s punk using his dad's tickets tried to tell me to shut up for telling the ref to go to hell.

I've never done this, but I knocked his hat off his head and told him to never speak to me again, I don't give a damn what you think you have to say.

Essentially, I was confronted by a little bitch at the wrong damn time.

ETA: this isn't bragging. It's more of a confession. I'm ashamed I did it. But he deserved much worse. In the 92nd minute, don't tell me to shut up when I've witnessed that shit referee performance.

Last edited:
Fuck this fucking team. How the fuck is Mikey Lopez a professional athlete. I have never seen anyone worse at his job. The defense had to dribble past him so they wouldn't have to pass to him. Fuck the stupid Yankee stadium pitch. Our field is an embarrassment. Fuck the absolutely shitty refereeing MLS puts out year after year. Fuck dropping 5 points to the two worst teams in the league. Fuck I hate this shit.

A couple of other things from the game tonight:

-Lopez was a black hole. It was comical watching NYCFC build out of the back, neither CB would pass to him. And then when Lopez got the ball, he would square it back to the CB. A couple of times he went forward and skied it out of bounds or turned it over. Obvious that there is no confidence in him.

-Poor Maxi. He ran for three guys tonight with "black hole" Lopez and "Pirlo speed" Tommy Mac with him. And he still had a great game, watching him run at a defense is awesome.

-The field, especially the infield side, was such crap. Our players slipped and a couple of times Revs attacks also were foiled by the field. Unacceptable.

-Chanot can really pass the ball, badly needed. See Lopez comment above.

-Holy hand grenades set pieces (especially corners). This team is awful at them. Set pieces win football matches. This is coming back to haunt them as they need some production there. Personnel is an issue, but they have to get more.

-NYCFC is now with one win in its last five games. Yeah, shellacking ATL and ORL is great, but they need more consistency - I honestly think the team lacks focus.

-I can't believe the key to this team is 19-yr old Yangel Herrera.

We had 61% possession before the Brillant sub, there was no reason to bring in a defender. It was all about holding the midfield and attacking them. PV is a savant when it comes to playing attractive soccer but he's an absolute failure at managing a game/substitutions. Except for Camargo, I can't remember that last time a sub has really had an impact on a game.

MLS is a disgrace to let refs with egos continue to take the field. That guy had no business officiating the match. Missing a PK and numerous muggings on Villa clearly shows he was treating Villa differently than everybody else.

Can't ask more of the starters than maybe to change their boots back to the shooting ones- they really bossed the game right up to the shots and if not for the poor officiating they would have won easily.

Jack really is a special player.

It was painful to watch TMac spin away from a defender and send a cross-field pass towards a wide open Harrison only to see it cover about 2/3 of the distance and land at the nearest defender. If he can't kick the ball the width of the field.... I mean... really... hit the fcking weight room.

One more game that we don't see our two expensive rookies play.... a game that could have used another midfielder and attacker....

Lee Nguyen needs to be yellow carded.
And perhaps going 5 at the back only a goal up with over 20 minutes left in a game we were dominating was, a POOR CHOICE.
You think? It was the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

This isn't hindsight. It was obvious at the time. PV is just horrible at in game management.

I'm watching the postgame coverage on YES and Ian Joy won't stop talking about the shit defending and he's absolutely right...

Ethan White's YES Interview: "We went to five in the back. We know they were going to pummel us in the box and Fred's good in the air. We just wanted to be safe."

Fred is good in the air? HOLY FUCK NO.

Reactions: roxfontaine
I'm watching the postgame coverage on YES and Ian Joy won't stop talking about the shit defending and he's absolutely right
I wish he'd call PV out for the shit in-game coaching.

Hey intern, go tell Reyna that PV needs to get his head out of his ass and not bunker with Brillant - we've given up points every time he does it. We can't play with 5 at the back.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Random Thoughts:

- Wasted an awesome game from Maxi
- Silver lining: happy for Carmago, I hope this goal is the confidence boost he needs to let his talents shine
- TMac made me miss Pirlo. With TMac we get all of the Pirlo downsides: slow, minimal defense with none of the upside: passing vision/accuracy, ability to handle the ball under pressure. Honestly I think Pirlo is a considerably better defender than TMac when you factor in positioning and effectiveness of tackles.
- Terrible tactics from PV, Brillant sub cost us the game
- What on earth are Lewis and Ugo doing in practice to create a situation where we are subbing on Brillant and Sterzer?
I saw Wallace signaling to Lewis something. Wallace said he thinks very highly of Lewis and Awuah

I'm watching the postgame coverage on YES and Ian Joy won't stop talking about the shit defending and he's absolutely right...

Ethan White's YES Interview: "We went to five in the back. We know they were going to pummel us in the box and Fred's good in the air. We just wanted to be safe."

He's supposed to be good in the air. Is he? NOPE

We knew they were going to pummel us in the box? What the hell?

Had they been "pounding us in the box" all game? No, so let's take off one of our most dynamic players and put on another CB, essentially inviting them to possess the ball and bunkering. If only there was a winger with pace who could take Harrison's position and stretch the defense, potentially scoring that third goal and ending the game, maybe a young guy with fresh legs??

Come on. Those who don't score get scored upon. Ya think Houston said "nah, we're a goal up now, let's pack it in?"

Some little early 20s punk using his dad's tickets tried to tell me to shut up for telling the ref to go to hell.

I've never done this, but I knocked his hat off his head and told him to never speak to me again, I don't give a damn what you think you have to say.

ETA: this isn't bragging. It's more of a confession. I'm ashamed I did it. But he deserved much worse. In the 92nd minute, don't tell me to shut up when I've witnessed that shit referee performance.
I wish I had the balls to do that.

1. Kudos to you for putting him in his place. 2. Kudos again for realizing you didn't need to do it.

If it were me, I would have repeated #1 but never made it to #2.

Very disheartening to say the least tonight. Defending looked extremely weak on corners/ set pieces and we did not continue playing what works for us which is an offensive mentality/style.

Forget this one and let's get ready for the Union.

Was great meeting LionNYC LionNYC. Hope to see you again. Great vantage point from watching the match up close and personal.

At the end of the match Mata ran out and high five'd us. He's ready for the Union!

Vieira's subs are just always so telegraphed. Up a goal, add a defender. Down a goal, lose a defender or take off a midfielder to add a forward. There's virtually never a like-for-like change, it's always a formation change.

What I don't understand about Vieira's sub of Brillant is, why are we changing formations there? We had allowed one goal in 69 minutes, looked great on both sides of the ball, and were totally dominating. Then we take off a forward and decide to bunker for 21 minutes? Why? Why bunker when we're playing so well? It killed the game for us the rest of the way -- this team had absolutely nothing cooking once they went to five in the back, or whatever the hell that was. Just brutal from Vieira. Trust your backline to close the game out, and try to see if we can't poach another. There was no need to kill our offensive game. If Harrison was tired, try Ugo or Lewis in that spot.

Part of this is also Brillant, he's just terrible at this point. Not a reliable defender, and every time he's on the pitch I feel like a goal against is coming.

Other stuff from the game: What a performance from Maxi. Everyone who buried that signing in February, it's time to eat some crow. This guy is a hell of a player. Carried the rest of his woeful midfield on his back.

Tommy and Mikey were totally aimless, and all the attacking had to come up the flanks because Tommy and Mikey were completely incompetent in the midfield. There was no one to link up with the front line, and that was a huge problem. We saw just how crucial Ring is to our attack -- he's the engine that keeps this team rolling.

Speaking of Villa: Was it just me, or was he playing more as a winger tonight? I wonder if that had to do with the way the midfield was playing, that it was either Maxi or nothing. But I felt like there was virtually nothing up route 1 the way there is most games.

Well you know what they say about the Brilliant Prevent Defense formation . . .