New Jersey - Postmatch

No one yet has mentioned the delicious, delicious irony of NYCFC scoring a goal on a turnover caused by their high press. The only thing better would have been to see Marsch’s inevitable whining after the goal, but alas that is no more.

See how that game was ugly and almost unwatchable? NYCFC played RBNJ’s game and didn’t turn over the ball, literally just hoofing it long and dared RBNJ to play through them. Excellent adjustment by Dome, although I was expecting an improvement in the second half and I thought that NYCFC did cede a lot of possession and the better quality chances came for RBNJ in the first 25 minutes or so of the second half.

Now excuse me while I check Chanot and Callens’s pockets, I think BWP is still in there.

Last edited:
Ring was an absolute beast, Ofori looked decent, Lewis is just magical with some of the things he tries - no idea why he couldn't get a look in under Vieira but hopefully he's over it and can do things for the team. Chanot Good, Medina hot and cold, Sweaty bit of a mare.

Ref was shocking yet again for both sides, linesmen too.

Gooooo back to New Jeeeeersey!

(also people can wear literally anything they want to a football game and it's ok)

My observations (personal):
1. Ofori was awful tonight- he has a lot of stamina, and defensively he had some key plays- but overall in the midfield he should not at all be a metronome- he gave away some terrible balls.
2. Tinnerholm plays a good defensive game, but his foot kept failing him in clearances.
3.Same as above for Seanson
4.Tifo was incredible
5. Goooo back to new jersey! best chant of the night. (Though I was hoping one day we could have a chant using "Bulls on Parade" and switch up the lyrics to mock them. )
6. Red Bulls played unbelievably well- you can see why we are both top-3 teams. BWP was held back the entire game, but he kept troubling us enough to get Royer in space. Red bulls are one scary team right now, hopefully the coach change will keep them losing. :)
7. Sweat, Chanot, Callens were amazing tonight. Sweat really brought in his A-game! This defensive quadruplet is way better than... I don't even remember the names of our old defenders that would barely even attempt to retreat on breakaways. (Mena and White, I think.)
8. JLEW BEAST MODE <3 (That flick-on for Medina was world-class.)

Also, idk if he's on this forum, but I was in the parking lot and some guy and his friend in the car next to me were singing and going wild and eventually we started pointing at our NYCFC gear and thumbs up. It was hilarious, we've got some great fans :p

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Johnson was back to the Johnson of 5 years ago. Terrific shot stopper. Shaky in the box. Poor distribution.

Callens was solid.

Chanot was phenomenal. MOTM for me. Like Gandolf shouting "Thou shall not pass!"

Tinnerholm was strong defensively. They didn't play up the right all that match and he had some mediocre touches when he did see the ball.

Sweat had an interesting game. He did play well defensively. I liked his positioning. Our press breaker was putting the ball on his head. I didn't love it because he had to link up with Wallace or he had to make a play. Sometimes in sports, there's a reason you're open. I thought he had a passable game in that regard, but even a mediocre LB/LW combination destroys RedBull tonight. We don't have that right now.

Ofori distributed well but man is he slow. He's not made for the style we played tonight. He was mediocre defensively.

Ring was terrific but I noticed him make 2 mistakes tonight. I can probably count on one hand all the mistakes I've ever seen him make on our uniform.

Medina at the #10 was poor. He was a non-factor. Medina at the wing was much better. He was able to run at guys and create some space.

Isi didn't have many touches and then he was subbed off early. I didn't get that. I thought that game had all the makings of becoming a track meet late and that would have played into his game.

Wallace is so poor offensively that it masks his defense and work rate. He was terrific tracking back. But our entire game plan revolved around Sweat and Wallace linking up offensively and it was a nightmare.

Maxi as the CF. just wow. I get that Dome wanted someone to run in behind but he's not even fast. He's quick in spurts but he's not fast like Lewis and Matarrita are. I thought for what we were doing, it may have made more sense to play Lewis as the CF when he came on. Even start himas your CF and drop Medina.

Reactions: Ulrich
Isi didn't have many touches and then he was subbed off early. I didn't get that. I thought that game had all the makings of becoming a track meet late and that would have played into his game.
Edited: LionNYC LionNYC said it was a knee issue. I thought it looked like blood on a towel when the trainer was looking at his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Highlight of the Day: When they played this on the video board before the New Jersey starting 11...
That is almost certainly the apex of that show.

I had a similar conversation once around that time. But it was re: the PATH train to Hoboken.

I got her number and took a cab back to Yorkville.

I never called.

giphy.gif

Reactions: LostAnvil
We finally saw a Plan B.
Looked like a plan C and D too. I'm abroad so I had to watch this on TV so I couldn't see our shape very well, but once the subs started coming in it looked like we re-shuffled the deck a couple of times. Or maybe I'm giving Dome too much credit.
I thought Ofori was really good at circulating the ball and handling some horrendous balls played to him.

I think there are too damn many people overlooking the value of a good circulator who can calm possession, ride a tackle, complete a pass when shit is getting tense.
Ofori is improving a ton defensively and looks a lot calmer. The thing I noticed is that if his first passing option gets closed down, his lack of a right foot makes it really hard for him to shift the ball and get out of trouble, which is why I think we saw him get lucky maybe 5 or 6 times. On another day those could have been more meaningful turnovers for the Cows.

I remember when Crooks said he was too left footed, I thought he was exaggerating the issue but I didn't think anyone was this one-footed. Like won't even touch the ball with his right foot. Terrifying stuff.
What? You didn’t like Maxi there? Hahahaha

I mean, it was pretty horrible to watch for long stretches except it was so tense.

ETA: Maxi as a 9 is not really viable. Maybe just stick Lewis or Medina up there.

I presume the idea behind putting Maxi there wasn’t because he would be effective there, but because he would at least understand space well enough to fuck with the heads of both center backs.

We missed some great chances to get in behind.
Yeah that's my guess too. I wouldn't put money on any of our other non-striker striker options being there for the Lewis layoff. Love that his movement was more or less completely on point. If we had another Maxi to put higher quality balls over today then Maxi probably would have had a couple of great chances. But maybe wouldn't have finished them. Womp womp.

No one yet has mentioned the delicious, delicious irony of NYCFC scoring a goal on a turnover caused by their high press.
Oh I was definitely thinking that was a classic NYCFC type of goal to give up and classic type of Red Bulls score. Glad you pointed it out. To be fair though, by my subjective, unofficial classifications, NYCFC has scored 2 goals like that this year (the first was by ITS in G3 at home v Orlando) and only given up one (in Houston).

Last edited:
We don't have an overall 2018 attendance thread so I'll dump this here.
This was the highest attendance this year but the lowest Derby by about 3.6k, barely exceeding 30k. On the other hand, the tiers in use looked legit packed -- even 15 minutes before game time. The reported figure only exceeded the previous game (Toronto) by 3k, but it was clearly much more full. This was much more than an actual extra 3,000 people. It took me 20+ minutes just to get out of the garage when it normally takes about 2-3, and while I understand there can be tipping points and such, I do doubt 3,000 people -- which I guesstimate translates to maybe 1000-1200 more cars spread out over all the garages and lots -- made that much difference to the outgoing traffic. In fact, the departing traffic was most similar to earlier derbies and other games with attendance reports as mid-30s and higher. I have to wonder if there was more figure inflating going on in the past than now.
With that, average attendance in 2018 is running almost 3.1k per game higher than 2017 through 9 games, and that does not even reflect the 10k Hartford debacle last year which does not come until Game 16. I think by this time last year we had 3 midweek evening games and this year there has only been one. We do have 4 of the last 8 on Wednesdays, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fake Jew and JayH
My friend and I also noticed this as well. I was thinking the same, that there's no way it was only 3-5k of a difference- that really seemed a lot more.
However, this does show me that as the first two tiers were mostly full, a 25k-30k seater stadium would definitely suit us and would be probably the perfect size.

Reactions: The Toe and Kjbert
Oh I don’t know, it’s kinda like when you go visit the Vatican you don’t wear shorts and short sleeves. With a game, either wear the colors of the teams playing or go neutral if you aren’t aligned, but wearing another team’s jersey is kinda douche in that it says the person wants to be taken seriously as a soccer fan because they like a particular club/country enough to have the kit.

I can’t think of a single college or pro football game, or MLB game I’ve ever been to where fans are wearing third-party jerseys.
I see WBC shirts at Yankees games all the time, and Yankee/Red Sox gear at the Florida teams even when they are not playing.
If you are a long time Liverpool supporter and your going to a soccer game, where your jersey. It's fair game to talk shit to them though!
You know, she obviously knows nothing about MLS let alone soccer, and I’m not getting political here, but you’d think the Ambassador to the UN would take the time to care about geography.

Anyway, the boss was here.
This is kind of cool, because yesterday afternoon I was talking to some colleagues about politics and we got to a discussion if potential future presidential candidates, then first female president talk. We had a shortlist of potential people and she was among them.
I'm not interested in discussing the merits of any candidates so let's not get into that derailment, but the thought came to my mind that it would be cool if we could look back and say President #XX was at one of our matches and even tweeted about it!
The only other names that have been thrown around that I can think of is BdB. Has Cuomo or Bloomberg ever been sighted at a match?

I see WBC shirts at Yankees games all the time, and Yankee/Red Sox gear at the Florida teams even when they are not playing.
If you are a long time Liverpool supporter and your going to a soccer game, where your jersey. It's fair game to talk shit to them though!

This is kind of cool, because yesterday afternoon I was talking to some colleagues about politics and we got to a discussion if potential future presidential candidates, then first female president talk. We had a shortlist of potential people and she was among them.
I'm not interested in discussing the merits of any candidates so let's not get into that derailment, but the thought came to my mind that it would be cool if we could look back and say President #XX was at one of our matches and even tweeted about it!
The only other names that have been thrown around that I can think of is BdB. Has Cuomo or Bloomberg ever been sighted at a match?
No idea about her future prospects or her politics, but that tweet of hers is annoying. That's some shit my mom would say and I'd just roll my eyes (while lowkey wanting to smash something).

Last edited: