New York Cosmos surive & move to Coney Island

I feel bad for people losing their team and I feel bad for the players/employees, but I don't feel bad for ownership since they apparently learned absolutely nothing from history.

Idealogical Purity: 2 - Pro Soccer Leagues: 0.

Yep, that was pretty much my thoughts when I saw that tweet. That said, I would also have the added dimension that I have little respect for clubs who trace their history back to a completely separate, former club which just happens to share the name. They recently changed their twitter graphic to a picture showing the dates of their eight title wins, including five in the years 1972-1982. I just can't get how they can possibly claim those titles just because they stole a 30-year dead name. Smacks of self-righteousness to me.

If people are not getting paid I would not say it's exaggerated but I would not say they are dead now.

There was a tweet that Carlos slim would come in and buy them which I would not find too far fetched but then that tweet got deleted so I don't know how true it was .
I hope not - back the fck off Slim..... I bought a jersey today for posterity just so I can say I was there when that team died for a second time taking their similar namesake league with them..... how often can you say you were on the right side of the battle drawn along sporting lines of not just club but also league.... Short of a drunken epileptic episode, I will never wear it but it will be that keepsake talisman voodoo item that's pulled out to scare little kids....

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Kind of funny since didn't MLS try to get the cosmos to join MLS before NYCFC started? Guess that gamble didnt pay off./

It's not funny at all. This is a really sad day for American soccer. The New York Cosmos are/were a historic team. The Strikers, too.

The Strikers and Miami FC are all us South Florida residents have for pro soccer.

Anyone who has been joyfully watching the demise of NASL the past few weeks is being foolish (not saying TomInFairfield has been dancing around the NASL flames) just making a general point.

This is a truly sad day for soccer in this country.
3ef.jpg

I'll add that because I don't live in New York maybe I can't relate to NYCFC fans seemingly blindly hating every other New York team.

*I hate the Red Bulls but not the Cosmos

"The Cosmos could have joined MLS in 2012, but rather than spend $100 million or so on an expansion fee to join the league, the Cosmos wanted to invest that money in the club's infrastructure. To that end, the Cosmos submitted plans to the state of New York to build a stadium near Belmont Park in 2012, but four years later, the Cosmos and three other bidders have yet to hear back from the state's Empire Development Corp. to see which proposal will get approved."

-ESPNFC

"The Cosmos could have joined MLS in 2012, but rather than spend $100 million or so on an expansion fee to join the league, the Cosmos wanted to invest that money in the club's infrastructure. To that end, the Cosmos submitted plans to the state of New York to build a stadium near Belmont Park in 2012, but four years later, the Cosmos and three other bidders have yet to hear back from the state's Empire Development Corp. to see which proposal will get approved."

-ESPNFC

They still would have needed to be in MLS to be largely successful. One team cannot get the television money to sustain success. And say the Cosmos built that stadium, and had a great average attendance, and were for all intents and purposes successful, MLS wouldn't just invite them into the league for free. They would have to still pay that expansion fee.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Is it fair to bring back that rumor of CFG buying the Cosmos?

CFG acquires the trademarks, rights, names, logos, etc in a distressed purchase. The NASL folds, as clubs either fall too or find refuge in USL. CFG doesn't restart the Cosmos yet in a new league but still keeps them in their pocket.

When NYCFC has their own stadium then CFG restarts the Cosmos again as NYCFC's secondary USL squad. Sure NYCFCII is the more logical name for MLS B-Squads but the Cosmos brand has value and with CFG's marketing machine, they can do wonders with it.

NYCFC and the Cosmos would never play each other compete as US Open Cup rules don't allow MLS secondary clubs to compete.

Reactions: adam
I hope not - back the fck off Slim..... I bought a jersey today for posterity just so I can say I was there when that team died for a second time taking their similar namesake league with them..... how often can you say you were on the right side of the battle drawn along sporting lines of not just club but also league.... Short of a drunken epileptic episode, I will never wear it but it will be that keepsake talisman voodoo item that's pulled out to scare little kids....

He does buy teams in financial struggle but he tends to want to promote them to the first division and win ( like with Leon eventually going up to liga mx and pachuca winning titles, and trying to get Oviedo to the first division) but that can't happen here since there is no pro/rel, unless he pays expansion fee with mls

Also this

If true then this whole merger may actually happen this week

It's not funny at all. This is a really sad day for American soccer. The New York Cosmos are/were a historic team. The Strikers, too.

The Strikers and Miami FC are all us South Florida residents have for pro soccer.

Anyone who has been joyfully watching the demise of NASL the past few weeks is being foolish (not saying TomInFairfield has been dancing around the NASL flames) just making a general point.

But the strikers can't even pay operating costs and the league and Tampa loaned them money ( now Tampa owner wants control of the team since they can't pay him back). This was after whatever owner they had pretty much bailed

Miami has money but I don't know how well they market in Miami every time I saw a Miami game in cbssports network it was freaking dead like 200 people in stands

NASL is still at fault for not screening their owners in a better way. It's that NASL saying "we will be division 1" from the start was the demise (if it does actually happen) and were willing to take anyone in as long as they can show "hey we're expanding" but now look at what happen

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich

CFG acquires the trademarks, rights, names, logos, etc in a distressed purchase. The NASL folds, as clubs either fall too or find refuge in USL. CFG doesn't restart the Cosmos yet in a new league but still keeps them in their pocket.

When NYCFC has their own stadium then CFG restarts the Cosmos again as NYCFC's secondary USL squad. Sure NYCFCII is the more logical name for MLS B-Squads but the Cosmos brand has value and with CFG's marketing machine, they can do wonders with it.

NYCFC and the Cosmos would never play each other compete as US Open Cup rules don't allow MLS secondary clubs to compete.

I seriously doubt it....they will most likely use the LI rough riders as a B side and move them to USL

Reactions: Goodfella
I'll add that because I don't live in New York maybe I can't relate to NYCFC fans seemingly blindly hating every other New York team.

*I hate the Red Bulls but not the Cosmos

Some don't hate them ( I personally don't care since I didn't follow them when I found out they were playing all the way in Hofstra, though if nycfc didn't exist I'd go back to what I did before and not care for domestic soccer just casually watch) others cheer them on since they play in different league except during open cup

Others though ooooh man after the unfortunate crap that happens during open cup games there is no love lost even worse than RB

So a mixed bag but again I think it's mostly due to this idea that they "deserve" everything just because they are a team that was great in the 70's that rubs people the wrong way

Nope Let them die

Reactions: Ulrich
He does buy teams in financial struggle but he tends to want to promote them to the first division and win ( like with Leon eventually going up to liga mx and pachuca winning titles, and trying to get Oviedo to the first division) but that can't happen here since there is no pro/rel, unless he pays expansion fee with mls

Also this

If true then this whole merger may actually happen this week
"Tensions rise" could mean any number of things..... at this point, the NASL is not in a position of power regarding negotiations, and any merger would be more of an absorption of NASL rather than merger of leagues - baring a catastrophe, the USL will be the sanctioned league going forward, and their BoD will hold the power, not the newly saved clubs' owners. That's probably where the tensions were, the realization that a life preserver does not bestow captain status to the refugees.

"Tensions rise" could mean any number of things..... at this point, the NASL is not in a position of power regarding negotiations, and any merger would be more of an absorption of NASL rather than merger of leagues - baring a catastrophe, the USL will be the sanctioned league going forward, and their BoD will hold the power, not the newly saved clubs' owners. That's probably where the tensions were, the realization that a life preserver does not bestow captain status to the refugees.

also depends who will be saved...i cant imagine USL letting everyone in.