Nickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straphangers is still active! Since the group is mostly a way to secure a section of seats there isn't really much else to talk about. We just wanted to gauge interest and establish ourselves.

I'm just not sure about a "nickname" though. If ten years from now a name was developed then that's different. Anything that comes up now would come off as contrived. Blues or City would be the only thing that wouldn't be forced. City, for the reasons you already explained. Blue, because that's our color.

Or we can force GOTHAM. Which I still wish could've been used as a Supporters Group name. Talk about a missed opportunity.

Really like the Gotham idea, that is pretty kick ass.

Tongue in cheek, battoning down the hatches, running away now...................................................

Not only has our team got more history than yours, so has our city. We were leading the Industrial Revolution when New York was little more than a few teepees.

;)

I don't understand the point of this post. Why did you take offense to what I wrote? I wasn't trying to insult Manchester or the team. Just pointing out that here in NYC, very few native people know what Manchester City is and that it's nickname is "City". Using "City" as the nickname for NYCFC here in NYC would totally work since many people wouldn't be confused. That's all.

Reactions: Paul and einwindir
Really like the Gotham idea, that is pretty kick ass.

Gotham is a great name, but I don't see how it will work as a nickname. Would we refer to them as the "Gothams" or just Gotham? Either way sounds silly to me, and a bit pretentious.

"Yo, did you catch the Gotham(s) game last night?"

Nah, doesn't sound right to me.

"Yo, did you catch the City game last night?"

Much better.

I don't understand the point of this post. Why did you take offense to what I wrote? I wasn't trying to insult Manchester or the team. Just pointing out that here in NYC, very few native people know what Manchester City is and that it's nickname is "City". Using "City" as the nickname for NYCFC here in NYC would totally work since many people wouldn't be confused. That's all.

No friend, no offence taken or meant, perhaps we brits just have a different sense of humor. If I offended anyone with the post I apologize, it is meant in jest

If Bluebird catches on...I want to see a banner with a Bluebird shitting on a Red Bull.

This works double because the Bluebird is the state bird of New York, emphasizing the fact that the Red Bulls play in Jersey.

I like Bluebirds, Blues, and Gotham as sparsely used nicknames, but City almost has to become the de facto nickname. Think about it, we are coming into the league with Orlando City, and already "City" alone is implied to refer to NYCFC, and "Orlando" is always used when referring to Orlando City.

Reactions: Paul and einwindir
No friend, no offence taken or meant, perhaps we brits just have a different sense of humor. If I offended anyone with the post I apologize, it is meant in jest

No problem. I probably misinterpreted your post. Damn internet.

Jumping in a bit late here, but I like "City" or "New City." Nice and simple. Things that are really creative have a tendency to get a bit cheesy.

If you wanted something a bit more NYC-specific, I think "The Boroughs" or "Empire" each have a decent ring.

The Brooklyn Dodgers were so named because their fans had to dodge the trolleys to get to Ebbets Field. Using Straphangers would be similar to that story.

Reactions: Paul
Sorry, I'm going to call it.

Straphangers = Lame

Seems like we're trying too hard. Whatever the nickname will be, it needs to evolve organically. Forcing a name just makes us look desperate.

Let's just go with the flow.

I have no problem with letting it happen "organically", but a discussion could be part of that process. It's not like we've opened a poll for voting on NYCFC's official nickname. We are just entering the "give us ideas" stage.

Reactions: einwindir
Gotham is a great name, but I don't see how it will work as a nickname. Would we refer to them as the "Gothams" or just Gotham? Either way sounds silly to me, and a bit pretentious.

"Yo, did you catch the Gotham(s) game last night?"

Nah, doesn't sound right to me.

"Yo, did you catch the City game last night?"

Much better.

I don't know what doesn't ring about just Gotham.

"I'm going to another Gotham game in Yankee Stadium" sounds natural to me.

"I'm going to another City game in Yankee Stadium" could cause a lot of confusion even to people who are familiar with the team.

I don't know what doesn't ring about just Gotham.

"I'm going to another Gotham game in Yankee Stadium" sounds natural to me.

"I'm going to another City game in Yankee Stadium" could cause a lot of confusion even to people who are familiar with the team.

The problem is that it sounds lame and forced.

Reactions: Gene
Status
Not open for further replies.