Nickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what doesn't ring about just Gotham.

"I'm going to another Gotham game in Yankee Stadium" sounds natural to me.

"I'm going to another City game in Yankee Stadium" could cause a lot of confusion even to people who are familiar with the team.

How ?

I have no problem with letting it happen "organically", but a discussion could be part of that process. It's not like we've opened a poll for voting on NYCFC's official nickname. We are just entering the "give us ideas" stage.

Yeah nothing wrong with that. It's great that we're discussing it. This is what's great about being part of a new team. We just need to be careful to not sound desperate and lame. Nicknames like Gotham and Straphangers just say "Hey, look at us we're trying really hard to make sure people know we're from NYC!"

lets leave gotham to the comics eh?
Or TV
Gotham-TV-Show-Fox-Logo.jpg

Reactions: CP_Scouse
This fine gentleman, Washington Irving, of Sleepy Hollow fame, was the first to use the term GOTHAM to describe New York in 1807
Washington-Irving-study-2500gty.jpg

in this periodical here
Salmagundi-title.jpg

Even with all that known, Gotham makes a terrible nickname for a Team. It would be better used for a Supporters Group.

Reactions: Gene and Drainyoo
It also means "City of Fools," though the meaning has warped over the years to something more like "City of the Morally Ambiguous."

It's not exactly a compliment.

It also means "City of Fools," though the meaning has warped over the years to something more like "City of the Morally Ambiguous."

A resident of Liverpool who refers to himself as a Scouser probably doesn't actually refer to their love of eating scouse.

Exactly. In my understanding of the comics, NYC is the basis for both Batman and Spiderman: Gotham is used to described the dark/dirty side of NYC whereas Metropolis is used to describe its light/clean/modern side.

This is hard to premeditate. Most teams get the nickname after the teams personality is seen i.e the amazins, the brooklyn bums, bronx bombers, etc. Hopefully we will find a great nickname organically after we experience the team for a bit

It's the most natural way of saying it. No one says the 'Reds' or 'Jersey Boys'. At best, maybe they'll say RB. Nicknames aren't planned. I've got a feeling 'City' or 'New Yoek' will be the most widely used name.
I agree City or NY will be most widely used but those arent nicknames just shortform of the official name, like yanks isnt a nickname or mets is short for metropolitans, nicknames would be bombers and amazins.

I agree City or NY will be most widely used but those arent nicknames just shortform of the official name, like yanks isnt a nickname or mets is short for metropolitans, nicknames would be bombers and amazins.
Are there any MLS teams with nicknames?

did a quick search, dc united (the black and reds) , fc dallas (red stripes) phil- zolos, The U, RSL ( the royals, claret and cobalt) MLS has a history page , shows every teams nicknames

This is hard to premeditate. Most teams get the nickname after the teams personality is seen i.e the amazins, the brooklyn bums, bronx bombers, etc. Hopefully we will find a great nickname organically after we experience the team for a bit

Couldn't agree more. A nickname will come with time based on the actions of the team.

In Serie A a lot of the team nicknames are just the colors. Some teams have multiple nicknames, but many are color based like Azzurri (blues) for Napoli, Bianconeri (white blacks) for Juventus, and Nerazzurri (black blues) for Inter. The Blues can easily become the nickname for NYCFC. Would work perfectly for me. Fan of two teams called The Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.