NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

I know some of you mentioned seeing the new ads in the city with Villa, Pirlo and Matarrita, but for those wondering what they look like, here you go. Crazy how not that long ago, that would've been Lampard. Very telling.

image.jpeg

Pirlo was interviewed by Reuters Sports at "a promotional event in Manhattan", which I infer was held either after the Portland match or before the team left on the recent road trip.
http://reut.rs/1W6xAmN

Some highlights:

'"[MLS is] a very hard league to play in. It’s very physical, there’s a lot of running. So there is a lot of physical work and to me, in my mind, too little play,” said Pirlo.'

'"We are very happy with what [Vieria] is doing. We are working hard every day, and he is bringing in new things that we are learning,” said Pirlo.

“There is a lot of hard work, both tactically and technically, as well as things that haven’t been done before. The team is really improving and seeing excellent results,” he added.'

The lead-in to the article is Pirlo's opinions on youth soccer development in the US.

Pirlo was interviewed by Reuters Sports at "a promotional event in Manhattan", which I infer was held either after the Portland match or before the team left on the recent road trip.
http://reut.rs/1W6xAmN

Some highlights:

'"[MLS is] a very hard league to play in. It’s very physical, there’s a lot of running. So there is a lot of physical work and to me, in my mind, too little play,” said Pirlo.'

'"We are very happy with what [Vieria] is doing. We are working hard every day, and he is bringing in new things that we are learning,” said Pirlo.

“There is a lot of hard work, both tactically and technically, as well as things that haven’t been done before. The team is really improving and seeing excellent results,” he added.'

The lead-in to the article is Pirlo's opinions on youth soccer development in the US.

i do agree that youth development is what is key for success in this country....not promotion relegation :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kjbert
Good job here by Marsch. Takes a 7-0 win and turns it into locker room material.

Is Villa wrong? The way the team played, they would have lost 7-0 against the Sri Lanka national team.

Reactions: Kjbert
That's like asking if Rice Crispies get soggy in milk....
I think it's more like asking, "Can Rice Krispies be taught to stay crispy in milk?" Possibilities are:
  1. No. No matter how much PV teaches the players, they will never have the talent to play this style in a small pitch like YS.
  2. Yes. At some point things will start to click and our team will exhibit control at home that translates to real SOGs and wins.
I'm fearful that the reality is #1. But oh how glorious it would be if it was #2.

I think we would all say that a tactically strong side should be able to beat a team that relies almost solely on physical skills. That's how our national team loses against better teams, we are physical, they play tactical soccer. I think MLS is stuck in a physical style (that is limiting it's potential growth) because MLS is very good at the physical style. That is what kreis was doing, trying to make us a good, physical mls team.
Nycfc, I think, is set on revolutionizing MLS, or if not revolutionizing, just bringing it into line with world soccer. It is not easy to play that way, but the fact that we are fourth in ppg and have some big results under our belt is proof of concept. We are better now than Orlando, despite starting the same time.

I think that is why poku doesn't play, he's a prototypical MLS player. Big on physical skills, short on tactical ideas. That we are moving at from that is exciting and I think if we pull it off, we'll be Tiger woods for a while until MLS catches up. And that will be good for MLS, USMNT and fans.