NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2023

This season would never fly for Man City.

Under CFG? Sure. But Manchester City being a worldwide soccer power is a pretty new thing for them. They used to be pretty average and ordinary.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-20 233743.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 233743.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 3
Man City isn’t a minor league team. NYCFC is.

I want MLS to ascend the hierarchy as many U.S. soccer fans do. But it hasn’t, and accepting the league (and NYCFC) are second tier makes fandom much, much more enjoyable.

Agreed. And having us sign more developmental players is more fun than having aging veterans looking for one more payday.

Reactions: Sabo
Agreed. And having us sign more developmental players is more fun than having aging veterans looking for one more payday.

Is it? How’s that working this season?

We’re essentially a growth stock portfolio. The goal is to sell, not win.

Reactions: Gene
It's not going well this season because the team is not fully formed. But yes, I think generally this is a good way to build a team, even though it's not working out this year.

All of our good teams had veterans. This team does not. And we already offloaded one of our growth stocks for nothing.

All of our good teams had veterans. This team does not. And we already offloaded one of our growth stocks for nothing.
I agree. You need some vets, but having predominantly young players is fine in this league.

I agree. You need some vets, but having predominantly young players is fine in this league.

I guess there’s young and there’s “developmental”

We’ve banned in 18-22 year olds. They stink.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Cos and LionNYC
Appears we are looking to add a grittier kind of player.
Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Gritty decides, "Fuck it, I'm sick of Philly."

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
I guess I won't be able to complain to the NYT that they don't cover NYCFC games anymore...

Free link:
Well The Athletic is owned by the NY Times and it reads as if the NY Times sports journalists will just be absorbed by The Athletic. So yes, you still can complain.

Reactions: Kjbert
Honestly, in this day and age it makes sense. With the exception of local high school sports and such, which can be covered by a student intern, it doesn't really make sense for most daily newspaper to have any extensive pro sports coverage. Coverage of every major sport is thoroughly covered by sports media outlets and often the leagues themselves. We really don't need a generic write up of every baseball game from the times, post etc. It consumes resources that can be better focused on other news and human interest stories that don't have extensive industry coverage like sports.
I read WSJ regularly (I'm from MA so I don't have much purpose for the NYT or Post) and they for the most part just have Jason Gay doing the frequent columns regarding unique, wierd or otherwise interesting quirks in the sports world. It's easily consumable and often worth reading for the broad audience, often regardless of their sporting interest.

The days of breaking out the sports page for box scores, recaps and rumors are long gone. People get that primarily from social media and sports outlets long before a paper goes into publication. It just seems like the one section that can very easily be removed without devaluing the outlet to most of its consumers. Even better in this case where they can simply syndicate content from a leading outlet (even though the Athletic is a shell of it's former self, it's still a leader)

Reactions: mgarbowski
I don't like the decision. I finally held my nose and resubscribed to the Times this spring after taking 3 years off. I always really liked their sports coverage - they covered events others didn't and looked at things in novel ways. For example, you had George Vescey covering soccer when it was rare for other publications.

Certainly, the Athletic does some of that, but it's really not the same as what the NY Times would do back when it cared. Certainly, the sports page was noticeably thinner when I resubscribed, but I still very much enjoy Rory Smith and their tennis coverage has always been very good. Is that all going to be available in the Athletic now? Somehow I doubt it.

It's also a little cute to say those who like sports can just go read the Athletic since a NY Times regular subscriber has to pay extra to access those articles.