NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

We are never going to emulate Atlanta. There is no way that a player like Almiron would sign be allowed to sign for NYCFC and not CFG. This is not necessarily a bad thing as we can circumvent the cap like we have with Herrera.

Our own path and roadmap can be very successful.
1) Fill DP slots with best players we can afford
2) Get young loanees like Herrera from CFG that would normally cost us a DP slot because of the transfer fee
3) Continue to fill non-DP slots with CFG scouted international players that are a tier below talent wise from the PL level talent Man City is looking for (Mata, Callens, Ring, etc.)
4) Continue to target Generation Adidas players in SuperDraft
5) Look to fill the back of the roster with cap-free Academy talent. Sell any studs the academy develops.

I don't understand the logic of a hypothetical player like Almiron not being allowed to sign for NYCFC (because he could sign for CFG?) and signing for Atlanta instead. I mean, if Almiron signs with Atlanta is because of better $$$ than at Lanus and decent exposure to continue his career in Europe. If NYCFC were willing to spend on a transfer fee, there's no reason for the Almirons of the world not to sign for NYCFC, or Atlanta, or any other ambitious MLS outfit. CFG were not looking at Almiron, or otherwise they would have signed him, I mean they can beat Atlanta off a player any day. They are heavyweights of a different league.

CFG spent a lot less money in Herrera, and seems to have hit a jackpot, but that was CFG's gamble not Herrera's demand. His tiny Venezuelan club would very likely have released him to MLS for a reasonable fee, and at 18 Herrera would have been happy to come to MLS and earn 5x as much as he was. Herrera was not a super hot commodity, but was scouted well, and CFG may have beaten others to the punch. Of course, the idea of CFG signing promising 18 y.olds worldwide and loaning them to us is tempting, but I don't know if it'll be a modus operandi. And it has downsides: instability (like right now, with everybody fretting if Herrera will be back) and the chance of them not panning out. Same objection to your #2 argument. Herrera would have never cost us a DP slot 9 months ago, and maybe not even now, much as we love him. Ring and Chanot are TAM/GAM players, and Herrera has more upside but in terms of yearly salary is not worth more. In that sense Almiron, coming from Lanus at 22, was a much more established guy, an obvious DP.

I'm having a hard time thinking that this is 100% nailed down. You think Almiron would consistently make the bench or better at MCFC? If MCFC wouldn't take him, then I don't see how from Almiron's perspective it would make more sense to sign with Atlanta than with NYCFC (not CFG), assuming NYCFC was in the market.

Perhaps I'm being thick, though.

I'm curious whether our strategy will change as TAM increases or salary cap otherwise increases. Perhaps it will change by degrees (for example, we'll be targeting, say, Portuguese-league players instead of Belgian-league. Or more Belgian-league players) vs. dimensionally (for example, less DPs for more TAM-level players).

Yes, let's love Almiron but not go crazy. I mean, Aguero is bench at MCFC. Leroy Sane was until this season. Villa would be. Giovinco most likely. It's a different galaxy.

I'm having a hard time thinking that this is 100% nailed down. You think Almiron would consistently make the bench or better at MCFC? If MCFC wouldn't take him, then I don't see how from Almiron's perspective it would make more sense to sign with Atlanta than with NYCFC (not CFG), assuming NYCFC was in the market.

Perhaps I'm being thick, though.

I'm curious whether our strategy will change as TAM increases or salary cap otherwise increases. Perhaps it will change by degrees (for example, we'll be targeting, say, Portuguese-league players instead of Belgian-league. Or more Belgian-league players) vs. dimensionally (for example, less DPs for more TAM-level players).
I had a long post that I was working during class last night but I guess it didnt post.

The competition was between Atlanta and Arsenal to sign Almiron. Almiron probably went to Atlanta because Atlanta offered alot more money than Arsenal. I think this is an important point because until MLS solidifies itself as one of the top tier two leagues below the Big 5, an MLS team is always going to have to overpay for a talent like Almiron if big clubs are involved with the bidding as well.

Whether Almiron would have consistently made the bench or better at MCFC is not really relevant to why more big clubs like Man City and Chelsea are buying up young talent players. You need to take the lens out and move away from looking at this from the perspective of NYCFC as an individual, when in reality we are a subsidiary of a global football conglomerate.

The model that CFG is currently working with is to invest in a ton of talent young players, if one pans out for Man City then great. Everyone else gets loaned to a lower club or sold for profit. Signing a young talented player for a multi-million dollar transfer fee for NYCFC does not make sense for CFG for a number of reasons.

First, if NYCFC signs someone like Almiron and he pans out, there is no easy way for CFG to move him to Man City. MLS controls the contract and they are going to dictate that he gets sold for the highest price to the highest bidder. Second, in this situation CFG would have to share transfer profits with MLS. From CFG's perspective, it makes a lot more sense to have Almiron sign for CFG and then loan him out to NYCFC. They control 100% of the transfer profits and they can move him to whatever team that they please. He would still count as a DP because of his salary, but CFG benefits more than if NYCFC/MLS signs him.

In Villalba's case, we could make an arrangement like Herrera. CFG can loan him out to NYCFC and eat the multi-million dollar transfer fee and NYCFC could bring him on as a TAM player instead of a DP.

Our DP philosophy, needs to be to sign the best DP for our price point period. You only have 3 DP slots and if we really want to CFG's ability to spend translate to on the field success in the current MLS economy, the only thing we need to worry about is hitting home runs on our DP signings. I don't care who they are, where their from, whats their age, how much they make. They just need to produce. We have seen what the lack of DP production has done to this team over the last three years.

I am totally ok with not making 650k allocations dollars for a max transfer profit deal from a DP if CFG is willing to spend millions to bring us players like Herrera. I don't think discussion of Facey or Angelino is really relevant because the league was much different three years ago then it was now. There's a reason why we haven't seen guys like them get loaned to us again.

Remember Almiron technically is the highest "paid" player in MLS as his cost this year is $10M ($8.5M transfer fee and $2M in salary). Transfer fees are not amortized over the life of the contract.

Reactions: Kjbert
The biggest discussion this offseason is the strategy to fill that third DP position...amazing that NYCFC is #2 in the league with basically getting zero contribution from one of their DPs. Imagine this team with another difference maker, like a DP winger or forward to play with Villa and Harrison up top. Someone like Gignac or Alessandrini.

The biggest discussion this offseason is the strategy to fill that third DP position...amazing that NYCFC is #2 in the league with basically getting zero contribution from one of their DPs. Imagine this team with another difference maker, like a DP winger or forward to play with Villa and Harrison up top. Someone like Gignac or Alessandrini.
I would take Alessandrini in a second as a DP if LA wanted to send him our way so they could start over with the slot. He’s not a sexy name, but he’s the most dangerous winger I’ve seen in MLS. Jack can play on the left side so it wouldn’t have a negative effect.

I'm even more intrigued as to what they do with the TAM money. Jack needs to get paid. Ring is underpaid. Chanot is probably underpaid in the global market. Maxi could be TAMable.

I'm even more intrigued as to what they do with the TAM money. Jack needs to get paid. Ring is underpaid. Chanot is probably underpaid in the global market. Maxi could be TAMable.
I’d love for the numbers guys to figure out how to make Maxi a TAM player and then have the flexibility to bring in two new DPs. But conversely, we could conceivably do very well bringing in 1DP and finding 2-3 more TAM Ring/Callens/Chanots (both that they’re currently TAM, but the cumulative ways they affect the match with their levels of play). That may provide greater dividends than using the majority of TAM (if even possible) to bring Maxi down.

I’d love for the numbers guys to figure out how to make Maxi a TAM player and then have the flexibility to bring in two new DPs. But conversely, we could conceivably do very well bringing in 1DP and finding 2-3 more TAM Ring/Callens/Chanots (both that they’re currently TAM, but the cumulative ways they affect the match with their levels of play). That may provide greater dividends than using the majority of TAM (if even possible) to bring Maxi down.
There is a sliver of me that hopes Maxi signed a front heavy contract that we will be able to buy down with TAM next year because the team knew that is was going to be a DP from the transfer fee.

There is a sliver of me that hopes Maxi signed a front heavy contract that we will be able to buy down with TAM next year because the team knew that is was going to be a DP from the transfer fee.

I'm not sure if I'm making this up, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't front load Ks in MLS (at least cap wise). You just take salary; divide by years and that's the cap hit.

I'm not sure if I'm making this up, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't front load Ks in MLS (at least cap wise). You just take salary; divide by years and that's the cap hit.
Than what was that De Jong contract in LA about? Wasn't it a TAM contract that turns into a DP?

I think that only applies to non-DP transfer fees. They divided equally among the length of the contract.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think that only applies to non-DP transfer fees. They divided equally among the length of the contract.
I'm quite certain that actual player salaries are divided equally and amortized over the length of the contract. Any transfer fees hit in the year they are paid.

If teams were able to back-load or front-load salaries in contracts, teams could effectively have 6 DPs at once if they alternate their salary charges each year.

Than what was that De Jong contract in LA about? Wasn't it a TAM contract that turns into a DP?
That was because they had a clause within the contract that was contingent upon the amount of games De Jong played. Therefore, that additional salary was not guaranteed, so MLS did not view it as salary that would be amortized over the length of the deal.

LAG got clever with the rules and MLS (because its the Galaxy), didn't seem to care.

A team is allowed to amortize a transfer fee for one contract at a time. For the rest, the transfer fee hits the cap the year it is paid.

As noted, the De Jong contract had an incentive clause that flipped it to a DP contract if he played a certain number of games. MLS judged this was not so easily achievable as to make the DP portion automatic and did not average the cap hit over all the contract's years.

I think you can find it in the MLS roster rules. There is even a name for it, but I don't recall what that is.

Sure enough:

In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the salary budget in the year in which it is paid. For one player on a club's roster (a "Special Discovery Player"), a club is able to amortize the total amount of acquisition costs (up to $500,000) over the term of the player's contract.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations