NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Came up a couple of months ago. As I said then, "I like KI. But he disappears for extended periods. Unless he shapes up he's become a bit of an albatross for Swansea. He could be a very good sub on a better team who could afford a player like that, who shows quality in limited bursts. That does not make him a good DP in MLS."

I'm curious what people see in him. He also has zero appearances this season due to a knee injury suffered in June. He only had 13 appearances last year, when he was not injured.
Yeah, he's really good like 3 times a season based on what I remember from his time at Sunderland.

As a general rule of thumb, I don't like buying guys who spend a lot of their careers on shitty teams. I think it gets you too accustomed to losing, no matter the character of the player. There's just no way to deal with losing so often if you continually let it upset you. Your self-preservation instincts won't allow it.

Copied this from the Pirlo thread.

Just realized another benefit to Subotic is that he has a US passport. I don't think he would count as an international.

Given his falling out with his main club (loaned out by Dortmund last year) and his expiring contract, his NY roots and domestic status, I would not be surprised if he's on the shortlist. (Hopefully only if we subsequently move to a 3-man backline.)

Copied this from the Pirlo thread.
Given his falling out with his main club (loaned out by Dortmund last year) and his expiring contract, his NY roots and domestic status, I would not be surprised if he's on the shortlist. (Hopefully only if we subsequently move to a 3-man backline.)

You thinking Subotic-Chanot-Callens back 3?

Reactions: Kjbert
You thinking Subotic-Chanot-Callens back 3?

Yeah, in a 3-4-3 with our attacking wingers playing more underneath the striker, like a 3-4-2-1.

F | Maxi, Villa, Harrison | Wallace (LW/LM), Lewis (W), McNamara (W), Okoli (ST)
M | Matarrita, Ring, Herrera, Struna | Sweat (LM)
D | Callens, Subotic, Chanot | Brillant (CB), White (RCB)

I left off Lopez and Allen on purpose, whom MLS is hopefully improving past their game.

We would need another D (potentially Ferraresi), maybe another F if you're not comfortable with that depth, and at least 2-3 midfielders for depth (or else suffer Lopez as a backup CM and Allen as a backup RM.)

Johnson, that back three, plus Ring and Herrera in the middle would dominate defensively. Going forward, we have possibly the best striker in the league, a DP on his left, an England U-20 on his right, and two attacking outside midfielders.

Last edited:
Yeah, in a 3-4-3 with our attacking wingers playing more underneath the striker, like a 3-4-2-1.

F | Maxi, Villa, Harrison | Wallace (LW/LM), Lewis (W), McNamara (W), Okoli (ST)
M | Matarrita, Ring, Herrera, Struna | Sweat (LM)

I left off Lopez and Allen on purpose, whom MLS is hopefully improving past their game.

We would need another D (potentially Ferraresi), maybe another F if you're not comfortable with that depth, and at least 2-3 midfielders for depth (or else suffer Lopez as a backup CM and Allen as a backup RM.)

Johnson, that back three, plus Ring and Herrera in the middle would dominate defensively. Going forward, we have possibly the best striker in the league, a DP on his left, an England U-20 on his right, and two attacking outside midfielders.

A 3-4-3 is nice because it keeps our 3 at the top attacking shape but if we could get our hands on a good ST it would be interesting to see what we could do in a 3-5-2 something along the lines of:

F | Villa, New ST| Okoli (ST), In a pinch Harrison (ST)
M | Matarrita (LM), Ring, Herrera, Maxi, Harrison (RM) | Wallance (LM), TMac (CM/LM) Sweat (LM), Struna (RM)

Harrison has the defensive work rate to play RM, Maxi is in the middle where he can make the biggest impact and Villa has a skilled strike partner to play off of.

A 3-4-3 is nice because it keeps our 3 at the top attacking shape but if we could get our hands on a good ST it would be interesting to see what we could do in a 3-5-2 something along the lines of:

M | Matarrita (LM), Ring, Herrera, Maxi, Harrison (RM) | Wallance (LM), TMac (CM/LM) Sweat (LM), Struna (RM)

Harrison has the defensive work rate to play RM, Maxi is in the middle where he can make the biggest impact and Villa has a skilled strike partner to play off of.

Kenwyne Jones could be our Altidore if we are trying to play Toronto's game.

That said, if we are going to a 2-striker formation, I'd rather have the second striker be a DP than the CB.

Kenwyne Jones could be our Altidore if we are trying to play Toronto's game.

That said, if we are going to a 2-striker formation, I'd rather have the second striker be a DP than the CB.

I agree, a lager more physical target type forward could help take some of the outlet duties off Villa and reduce his physical work load a bit. Would be nice to give him a bit more protection to help keep him healthy as he gets older.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

My only reservation about this is that Harrison likes to cut in, but you really need the wide players to stay wide in this formation.

Reactions: adam
My only reservation about this is that Harrison likes to cut in, but you really need the wide players to stay wide in this formation.

For completeness in this 3-man backline discussion, we know Vieira liked the W-M as well:

F | Wallace, Villa, Harrison
AM | Maxi, ?
DM | Ring, Herrera
D | Callens, Subotic, Chanot

Matarrita doesn't really have a spot in this lineup, and we are missing a second strong attacking mid, but it's another possibility.

For completeness in this 3-man backline discussion, we know Vieira liked the W-M as well:

AM | Maxi, ?
DM | Ring, Herrera

Matarrita doesn't really have a spot in this lineup, and we are missing a second strong attacking mid, but it's another possibility.

Mata can be an attacking mid as well or id play him over Wallace as a forward.

AM | Maxi, ?
DM | Ring, Herrera

Same applies here I think. Where does the width on the RHS come from? I would play Harrison centrally and maybe Lewis on the right to stretch the play, if he can kick on and show more consistency.

Or maybe that's the kind of DP we target. If we can find someone who can shift into Villa's role eventually, all the better, although I can't think of too many who fit that mold in world football right now.

This and do we really want a 10+ goal scorer playing wingback? Heck no. If we go three in the back, 343 suits our personally much better than any other 3 ATB formation right now. Can easily morph to a 541 when we want to bunker down. We can always convert to a two striker formation if we are chasing. We can also play an unbalance formation with Mata playing wingback more forward than the right back, jack wide right, and someone like Maxi playing more central.

This and do we really want a 10+ goal scorer playing wingback? Heck no. If we go three in the back, 343 suits our personally much better than any other 3 ATB formation right now. Can easily morph to a 541 when we want to bunker down. We can always convert to a two striker formation if we are chasing. We can also play an unbalance formation with Mata playing wingback more forward than the right back, jack wide right, and someone like Maxi playing more central.

yeah but what happens when we get Robben

Reactions: Kjbert and Fake Jew
Same applies here I think. Where does the width on the RHS come from? I would play Harrison centrally and maybe Lewis on the right to stretch the play, if he can kick on and show more consistency.

Or maybe that's the kind of DP we target. If we can find someone who can shift into Villa's role eventually, all the better, although I can't think of too many who fit that mold in world football right now.

Ah shit, when I started typing that out, I meant to put Harrison centrally.

F | Wallace, Villa, ?
AM | Maxi, Harrison
DM | Ring, Herrera

I don't like this formation much though. Too structured, we like to play fluid. And Matarrita and Struna don't have positions.

Ah shit, when I started typing that out, I meant to put Harrison centrally.

F | Wallace, Villa, ?
AM | Maxi, Harrison
DM | Ring, Herrera

I don't like this formation much though. Too structured, we like to play fluid. And Matarrita and Struna don't have positions.
Neither do I. And if we can't keep possession and get those wide forwards up the pitch, it ends up being a 5-2-2-1 anyway.
This makes sense to me.

3-4-2-1:
Villa
Harrison Maxi
Mata Herrera Ring Struna/Lewis
Callens Subotic Chanot

5-4-1:
Villa
Maxi Herrera Ring Harrison
Mata Callens Subotic Chanot Struna/Lewis

3-5-2:
Villa Harrison
Mata Herrera Maxi Ring Struna/Lewis
Callens Subotic Chanot

The unbalanced formation you're talking about probably looks like the 3-5-2 with Struna staying at home and Harrison staying high and right.

I guess I am kinda on the Lewis as RWB hype train now. Can't imagine him as a pure RB though.

The team is tactically flexible enough to ensure Harrison at RM can still do his handful of cut in attacks each game even with things they currently do. Villa drifts left as usual, ST2 moves centrally, Maxi floats around as he always does in this case into the space on the right behind Jack. Jack cuts inside. Ideally, Mata sees the play forming and hangs back to alternate with Jack going forward.

To your other post though I had forgotten about Lewis who seems like an odd fit at anything other than a true attacking wing position. Seems like 4-3-3 is still the setup that fits out current players they best.

The team is tactically flexible enough to ensure Harrison at RM can still do his handful of cut in attacks each game even with things they currently do. Villa drifts left as usual, ST2 moves centrally, Maxi floats around as he always does in this case into the space on the right behind Jack. Jack cuts inside. Ideally, Mata sees the play forming and hangs back to alternate with Jack going forward.

To your other post though I had forgotten about Lewis who seems like an odd fit at anything other than a true attacking wing position. Seems like 4-3-3 is still the setup that fits out current players they best.
Lewis comes off the bench as our primary LF/RF replacement and gets the spot start. Shelton can break one of the wingbacks if we need more offense.

Reactions: gbservis