NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

This would be the ultimate win-now move. We could have Torres, Villa, and Maxi together for 2-years, then clean house.

F | Villa, Torres
M | Wallace/Matarrita, Ring, Maxi, Herrera, Harrison
D | Callens, Chanot, X*

*Ferraresi? And if we lose anyone such as Herrera or Harrison, must replace them.

That would be awesome.

Why do we want another DP on the wrong side of 30?
I'm not saying we necessarily want one on that side, or that's its better to have one older than 30, but lets not be as quick to just turn down any DP that is older than 30.

I would personally like to aim at younger than that. And I'm not certain on Torres, mostly because I haven't watched him play recently and am unfamiliar with his current form, etc. But we can't just dismiss another guy because he's older than 30. I know this using one extreme to make my point, but if we were to apply that logic (and I generally hate using hyperboles), that would turn down Villa before he came on.

I think we can get Torres level production in a younger, yet unknown player

I think we can get Torres level production in a younger, yet unknown player

In general I'd always prefer we go younger but I'd be willing to make an exception for Torres. There is value in a guy that already has chemistry and understanding with Villa. I wouldn't want him on anything longer than a two year deal but why not go all in with a partner for Villa and see if we can get him the trophy he deserves before his time is done. Even if it means we lose both Villa and Torres at the same time and we have to start over. Regardless of who it is at the end of the day I really hope CFG is doing everything in their power to get the very best players we can here with Villa before his time with us is over.

In general I'd always prefer we go younger but I'd be willing to make an exception for Torres. There is value in a guy that already has chemistry and understanding with Villa. I wouldn't want him on anything longer than a two year deal but why not go all in with a partner for Villa and see if we can get him the trophy he deserves before his time is done. Even if it means we lose both Villa and Torres at the same time and we have to start over. Regardless of who it is at the end of the day I really hope CFG is doing everything in their power to get the very best players we can here with Villa before his time with us is over.

In theory, I agree. I don't think the Club thinks they need to spend what it will cost to bring Torres if they want Torres production.

They could sign a guy from Argentina or Holland for 1/3 the cost and get the same production. That's their mindset right now. It's not like Torres is that big of an attraction. Except maybe for our wives

There's a difference between older and finished. Villa himself may not be what he once was, and still he is a cut above almost everybody in MLS. Torres is only 1 year older than Cristiano. FT has appeared in 10 matches this season for Atletico Madrid and played 332 total minutes in a league that's much more demanding than MLS. So he's perfectly OK for us. If you compare him to a player of the same caliber but almost totally finished, I would give you the example of Claudio Pizarro, ex Bayern Munich and Werder Bremen, stalwart of the Bundesliga, who at 39 has managed to remain in Bundesliga on name alone because he spends 80% of the time injured. Even 3 or 4 years ago Pep brought him back to Bayern and gave him substantial minutes as a super sub, and he scored a bunch. He was 35.

In theory, I agree. I don't think the Club thinks they need to spend what it will cost to bring Torres if they want Torres production.

They could sign a guy from Argentina or Holland for 1/3 the cost and get the same production. That's their mindset right now. It's not like Torres is that big of an attraction. Except maybe for our wives

Based on the Maxi signing all signs of a shift in financial approach to DPs are there and disappointing. It's possible ~$2M DPs may be their intended norm but will they pivot and splash some cash for a higher profile guy if they start getting signs the fanbase is shrinking? They are losing or already lost the solid chunk of people who grabbed a ticket to see Pirlo or Lampard. They are going to lose some people over the Conn and Mets game location fiascos. Baring a miracle we are about to close out another playoff embarrassment. No stadium news in sight. I think Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is 100% correct that in hindsight the Maxi move was a complete panic move. The intention was to grab a younger lower priced guy but when their top choices fell through they settled on Maxi. We are about to find out how committed CFG is to this team very soon.

Based on the Maxi signing all signs of a shift in financial approach to DPs are there and disappointing. It's possible ~$2M DPs may be their intended norm but will they pivot and splash some cash for a higher profile guy if they start getting signs the fanbase is shrinking? They are losing or already lost the solid chunk of people who grabbed a ticket to see Pirlo or Lampard. They are going to lose some people over the Conn and Mets game location fiascos. Baring a miracle we are about to close out another playoff embarrassment. No stadium news in sight. I think Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is 100% correct that in hindsight the Maxi move was a complete panic move. The intention was to grab a younger lower priced guy but when their top choices fell through they settled on Maxi. We are about to find out how committed CFG is to this team very soon.
Aren’t we getting Dont call me James?

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
If you had your druthers, would you prefer a Maxi level player in the winter or a Khedira level player in August after he plays in the World Cup?

If you had your druthers, would you prefer a Maxi level player in the winter or a Khedira level player in August after he plays in the World Cup?
It would be an easier choice to make if we had a history of productive DPs.
It would be an easier choice to make if we had a decent scorer behind Villa in place.
I still would elect to wait to get Khedira level, by which I mean: (1) that level in talent and utility, not name recognition, and (2) I don't want Khedira unless we somehow first get a decent second scorer via TAM or whatever.

It would be an easier choice to make if we had a history of productive DPs.
It would be an easier choice to make if we had a decent scorer behind Villa in place.
I still would elect to wait to get Khedira level, by which I mean: (1) that level in talent and utility, not name recognition, and (2) I don't want Khedira unless we somehow first get a decent second scorer via TAM or whatever.

To play Devil's Advocate, that probably means we waste our last year of Villa

To play Devil's Advocate, that probably means we waste our last year of Villa
That's funny because I made the choice to avoid wasting it. My theory is we should be good enough to muddle through until August, at least good enough to keep us above the playoff line. And then for the end of the season and playoffs I want to have the best team we can have. So that's my theory, and it is mine.

Both. TAM Maxi, sign a January DP striker, sign an August post-World Cup attacking midfielder.

You can't TAM Maxi. That's the problem. He's not just taking up a DP slot, he's being paid $2mm.

True - but MLS "rules" regarding salary have been known to change. It may not happen, but with new teams entering the league, and the USMNT fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me to see TAM/GAM revisions that would allow for more salary cap flexibility.

That's funny because I made the choice to avoid wasting it. My theory is we should be good enough to muddle through until August, at least good enough to keep us above the playoff line. And then for the end of the season and playoffs I want to have the best team we can have. So that's my theory, and it is mine.

Let's take this another step. Let's say we go your route (which is the route I think could be best also) and we sign a guy coming off of the World Cup. He would have been playing straight through from July of 2017 through August of 2017 and then beyond. That's 17 months of straight soccer

Reactions: Ulrich
Let's take this another step. Let's say we go your route (which is the route I think could be best also) and we sign a guy coming off of the World Cup. He would have been playing straight through from July of 2017 through August of 2017 and then beyond. That's 17 months of straight soccer
Hope his country doesn't get out of group, I guess. Still the best option, I think.

Reactions: Kjbert