NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Point of Information: wasn’t Ste(i)ven Mendoza on loan in India (from Corinthians) when we scouted him. So would that make him SA scouted or Far East Scouted?

Yeah, he was on loan at Chennaiyan FC in the Indian Super League. He won it all with them too if I'm not mistaken, and actually played well there.

Reactions: Kjbert
What if Ibarra is seen as a Tommy Mac kind of player - comes off the bench, but can slot into the midfield or out on the wing? That would mean while he wouldn't be a starter, his versatility would allow him to get starter-like minutes in relief of other players. Tommy played in 27 games last year and started 19.

Now, one issue is that we already have a Tommy Mac kind of player - so this presupposes that we plan to move him and go with a version that has more pace. Ibarra is a year older (27 vs. 26) for what it's worth.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
What if Ibarra is seen as a Tommy Mac kind of player - comes off the bench, but can slot into the midfield or out on the wing? That would mean while he wouldn't be a starter, his versatility would allow him to get starter-like minutes in relief of other players. Tommy played in 27 games last year and started 19.

Now, one issue is that we already have a Tommy Mac kind of player - so this presupposes that we plan to move him and go with a version that has more pace. Ibarra is a year older (27 vs. 26) for what it's worth.
I'd be fine with that, but not at the salary charge that I've seen thrown out here. IMO, that's way too much for a bench player of Ibarra's quality.

I think after this last season, we've seen the importance of having quality bench options, and I'm all for spending some decent money for players that come off the bench. I'm not certain I want to spend Ibarra-level money, and I'm much more certain I don't want to spend Ibarra-level money for an Ibarra-level player.

I'd be fine with that, but not at the salary charge that I've seen thrown out here. IMO, that's way too much for a bench player of Ibarra's quality.

I think after this last season, we've seen the importance of having quality bench options, and I'm all for spending some decent money for players that come off the bench. I'm not certain I want to spend Ibarra-level money, and I'm much more certain I don't want to spend Ibarra-level money for an Ibarra-level player.
Pass on Ibarra. Never saw it.

Looking more closely at various salaries, I'd have to say that I agree. I do think a player like that can be worth spending money on, but at $322K, he'd be more highly compensated on our team than anyone other than Ring, Chanot, and the DPs.

I can see him going LAFC on a non-dp contract like Cole at LAG

I would be pretty surprised if he didn't feel compelled to retire. What he did...that's not going to go away quickly. He's lucky not to be facing charges.

To be honest, if his ban is anything like Joey Barton's UEFA may lobby CONCACAF to ban him in the Americas, too.

^ haha.. depends which torres we'd be getting. The super attacker/scorer torres, or the useless, slow and waste of space, torres. I'd take the former, but I don't think we will be getting either.

Personally, I think we have good attackers. Villa is world class but he doesn't get the balls he's looking for and/or used to getting from other world class players. We lack that quality in the midfield. Ring and Herrerra were great cause they covered a lot of ground and worked hard, but their soccer IQ and vision are lacking. I would love to see a high quality DP in the mid-field. Perhaps not a known legend, as his legs would not make him to control the mid field, but a young or somewhat experienced midfielder with a lot of promise and potential. Someone to feed Villa the balls he's looking for would help free up harrison and wallace a lot more and it would be up to them to bring more quality to their games. Our front line relies way too much on Villa. Watching a game is aggravating to see the lack of movement and runs off the ball into space. Harrison has lots of potential and I think he will improve, especially with time with the ENT. Wallace can do better and I think given more space due to defenders watching Villa, he could. Right now, Villa takes on too much himself and I think it's out of frustration knowing he won't get the ball he wants. I think if we are lucky enough to find someone like Almiron, we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

If not a midfielder, I think our DP should be a solid defender. It is safe to say our defense and goalie are the weakest part of our team this past season. It's gotten better, but still the weakest. If we conceded less goals, we would win many more as much scoring we're able to provide. Johnson can't catch a ball to save his life. I don't know if he purposely doesn't catch the ball or what, but I feel I've never seen him catch the ball and bring it into his body unless it was a floater. As for our back line, we don't have a boss. A solid center who will control the back line and essentially SEE everything. It's unorganized and as someone who played so very long at the center back position, it's sad to watch.

Sorry for the long post :)

It’s simple folks. NYCFC needs to score more goals. This is probably accomplished one of two ways:

1. Get a finisher to play alongside Villa. Villa creates a ton and is probably the most active forward in the league. Get a guy that occupies defenders and that Villa can help tee up to score. This *could* be Torres.

2. Get a playmaker who will open up opportunities for everybody - a guy who can activate all of the top 3 forwards. We’re talking elite 15+ assist guy, Lodeiro in his prime, Almiron etc.