NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Here's the problem. What if he doesn't pan out?

That's a great signing if your other two DPs are David Villa and Diego Valeri. But they're not.

thats part of the risk....i mean we got lampard and pirlo

they still need a third DP.....vela is hit or miss.....if hes motivated he will be alright next to him...if not then rely on DP #3 or other TAM players

Reactions: Kjbert
thats part of the risk....i mean we got lampard and pirlo

they still need a third DP.....vela is hit or miss.....if hes motivated he will be alright next to him...if not then rely on DP #3 or other TAM players

I guess my point is that you can make a move like this when you know you will get DP level production from your other two DPs. Right now, we are getting DP level production from one and TAM level production from the other.

only maxi is DP but he is not the younger types you can look for ( not counting mata or camargo as they are from concacaf region, I assume they look at region anyway)

callens came from playing in spain not straight out of Peru. the rest yes are disappointments. but they were not top starters in their teams or the youngster with hype around them like this kid LA just got....biggest prospect in Uruguay and went and spent for him for a DP spot....most of the guys we got were probably on loan or end of contract so it was "cheap" plus they were not DP material to begin with

herrera yes he came to us but because of CFG and rules at UK......if not for us he may have gone to girona or somewhere in netherlands perhaps like other prospects have done
Good call on Callens, that was a whiff on my part.

If we're talking DPs, I'm just not certain yet there's enough data on that. The first 3 were obvious, they wanted big names to draw in fans. Then there's much discussion to be had around the Maxi signing whether it was truly wanted or they settled.

IMO, I don't think I would say we have a DP-strategy or really only scout certain markets for DPs yet.

Reactions: Kjbert

If we're talking DPs, I'm just not certain yet there's enough data on that. The first 3 were obvious, they wanted big names to draw in fans. Then there's much discussion to be had around the Maxi signing whether it was truly wanted or they settled.

IMO, I don't think I would say we have a DP-strategy or really only scout certain markets for DPs yet.

That second paragraph is frightening and I have never thought of it in those terms.

Someone get me the scouting team's email address. I have a long list of players. One of which is Giorgian De Arrascaeta

But I think there are quite a few examples of us scouting South/Central America, some of them have been misses however:
  • Matarrita
  • Callens
  • Moralez (Argentinian, played in Liga MX when signed, previously played in Serie A)
  • Herrera (through CFG)
  • Camargo
  • Diego Martinez
  • Jeferson Mena
  • Bravo
  • Ste(i)ven Mendoza
  • Javier Calle
I don't think we can say that we've ignored it. Mata and Callens have been great signings. Moralez is one that's up in the air in my book. Herrera is through CFG, so can't take a ton of credit for it, but what would CFG have done with him had we not existed? Now we have had a fair share of disappointments (Calle, Mena, Martinez, could hear arguments for Bravo and Mendoza)
Point of Information: wasn’t Ste(i)ven Mendoza on loan in India (from Corinthians) when we scouted him. So would that make him SA scouted or Far East Scouted?

Here's the problem. What if he doesn't pan out?

That's a great signing if your other two DPs are David Villa and Diego Valeri. But they're not.
Even if a miss, the reduced CAP hit keeps it from being a total loss since there’s still $250k+/- that can be spent elsewhere.

But I think there are quite a few examples of us scouting South/Central America, some of them have been misses however:
  • Matarrita
  • Callens
  • Moralez (Argentinian, played in Liga MX when signed, previously played in Serie A)
  • Herrera (through CFG)
  • Camargo
  • Diego Martinez
  • Jeferson Mena
  • Bravo
  • Ste(i)ven Mendoza
  • Javier Calle
I don't think we can say that we've ignored it. Mata and Callens have been great signings. Moralez is one that's up in the air in my book. Herrera is through CFG, so can't take a ton of credit for it, but what would CFG have done with him had we not existed? Now we have had a fair share of disappointments (Calle, Mena, Martinez, could hear arguments for Bravo and Mendoza)
I don't think we can separate our scouting from CFG's scouting. They are one and the same. There was a scene from Win where Kreis was complaining that CFG wouldn't allow him to sign anyone that wasn't scouted by CFG scouts.

I don't think we can separate our scouting from CFG's scouting. They are one and the same. There was a scene from Win where Kreis was complaining that CFG wouldn't allow him to sign anyone that wasn't scouted by CFG scouts.

At the end of the day, whatever their methods, I'll trust CFG scouting. Maybe the argument is that we don't receive as much of their focus/resources as we should? Fair enough.

Generally speaking though, if it's good enough for Manchester City, it's good enough for us.

Sorry for getting so sororal.

At the end of the day, whatever their methods, I'll trust CFG scouting. Maybe the argument is that we don't receive as much of their focus/resources as we should? Fair enough.

Generally speaking though, if it's good enough for Manchester City, it's good enough for us.

Sorry for getting so sororal.
I don't know how I feel about that statement. Man City has the luxury of pouring money into a lot of young talent players. They know a certain percentage of their players are not going to pan out and they don't care. NYCFC can't afford to strike out on a transfer because of the MLS salary cap. A system set up to benefit Man City doesn't necessarily benefit NYCFC in many cases.

I don't know how I feel about that statement. Man City has the luxury of pouring money into a lot of young talent players. They know a certain percentage of their players are not going to pan out and they don't care. NYCFC can't afford to strike out on a transfer because of the MLS salary cap. A system set up to benefit Man City doesn't necessarily benefit NYCFC in many cases.

How do you think we stumbled upon Callens, Ring and Chanot? CFG was scouting other players and came across these guys. They're not Man City players, but they are NYCFC players

I hope everyone realizes that our absolute biggest advantage over the rest of the league has nothing to do with MLS. The scouting advantage we have will increasingly pay dividends. Just wait for next year's versions of Ring, Callens and Mattarita.

Even if a miss, the reduced CAP hit keeps it from being a total loss since there’s still $250k+/- that can be spent elsewhere.

That's not entirely an apples to apples comparison. Sure, the cap hit is lower, but there are lots of ways to create a DP One way is the salary. The other way is the acquisition cost. Betting on an unproved kid, lower cap hit or not, eliminates your ability to spend money elsewhere.

This is why a little part of me still thinks the Yangel Herrera purchase and loan was a gift from CFG. If they end up selling him this winter, I'll be convinced.

How do you think we stumbled upon Callens, Ring and Chanot? CFG was scouting other players and came across these guys. They're not Man City players, but they are NYCFC players

I hope everyone realizes that our absolute biggest advantage over the rest of the league has nothing to do with MLS. The scouting advantage we have will increasingly pay dividends. Just wait for next year's versions of Ring, Callens and Mattarita.
I hope so. Callens and Ring have been great but we need to see the ability of the scouting department to deliver consistent results. Other posters have shown, there have been more losses than wins so far.

I agree with you in spirit. Ive just been a knick, jet, islander fan for too long.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
I would love to see more scouting being done to find young players that will grow with the club. It's great to bring in legends for big bucks. Sure it sells tickets and in Villa's case, it surely helps to win games, but he's got max 2 years left in him, if he decides to stay after next season.

Personally, I don't think Callens is all that great but I suppose he's better than Brillant. Ring is solid and with Herrerra, have helped sure up the mid field.

I have faith that next year will be a better year and with hope, we'll have some confirmation on a new stadium site at some point too. We need a place to call home. Yankee stadium isn't cutting it.

Very true, but what I meant in that as far as Herrera goes, is he was scouted for Man city’s purposes and not ours. Signed and then loaned to us with MCFC’s ultimate goals in mind down the road, as opposed to a Ring or Callens whose signings were for us only.

Now I do want to clarify that I don’t think the Herrera method is necessarily bad (signing ultimately for MCFC) because we’ve obviously received some great benefit out of it.

Very true, but what I meant in that as far as Herrera goes, is he was scouted for Man city’s purposes and not ours. Signed and then loaned to us with MCFC’s ultimate goals in mind down the road, as opposed to a Ring or Callens whose signings were for us only.

Now I do want to clarify that I don’t think the Herrera method is necessarily bad (signing ultimately for MCFC) because we’ve obviously received some great benefit out of it.
The Herrera MCFC/NYCFC signing/loan was a new model. The bottom line questions for management are: 1) Did the arrangement improve the player's development; and 2) At the end of the loan is the player more valuable than he was when it started. I think the answer to both is yes. His work at NYCFC supplements what he showed at the U20 WC and has increased his value.

I envision MLS as a true developmental/sellers league soon.

true....but I think this next DP will be very telling on what the strategy will be for DP's going forward.