NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

They are doing things so right. NYCFC is playing by MLS 3.0 strategy and ATL is on MLS 4.0 already.

Honestly, we are 2.5. Our DP signings have been MLS 2.0. The Red Bulls did a Villa-like signing in 2011 with Thierry Henry (Villa has been better, but they're in generally the same mold, similar to the first, Beckham).

We get the 0.5 from guys like Herrera. We don't graduate to 3.0 until we get a Lodiero, Giovinco, Piatti, or Valeri.

MLS 4.0 is signing internationally-sought 18-year-olds for 8-figure transfer fees.

I'm not saying this based on this signing alone, but based on the drive and vision of their front office: Atlanta is the far-and-away favorites for the Supporters' Shield next year.

Abramowitz on Soccer in the City said there was a crazy rumor about Carlitos Tevez, that Boca wanted him back but couldn’t buy out his contract ($6m) due to lack of $ and that NYCFC was interested in maybe doing the same.

Would have been great to get him 5 years ago. Now, not so much. A healthy, motivated Tevez would be lethal with Villa up top.
I heard this same rumor about a week ago. I thought it was absolute bullshit.

Honestly, we are 2.5. Our DP signings have been MLS 2.0. The Red Bulls did a Villa-like signing in 2011 with Thierry Henry (Villa has been better, but they're in generally the same mold, similar to the first, Beckham).

We get the 0.5 from guys like Herrera. We don't graduate to 3.0 until we get a Lodiero, Giovinco, Piatti, or Valeri.

MLS 4.0 is signing internationally-sought 18-year-olds for 8-figure transfer fees.

I'm not saying this based on this signing alone, but based on the drive and vision of their front office: Atlanta is the far-and-away favorites for the Supporters' Shield next year.
Their defense is still poop.

But FO wise, they continue to embarrass CFG. And yes, I mean CFG. Not that those guys have any shame. They’ve proven that.

But FO wise, they continue to embarrass CFG. And yes, I mean CFG. Not that those guys have any shame. They’ve proven that.

100% You look at ManCity. They drop 100s of millions on players. We don't go after anyone that's not a free transfer?
Does CFG have any interest in making this team successful or just a place to dump washed up European stars for headlines?

Reactions: Kjbert
100% You look at ManCity. They drop 100s of millions on players. We don't go after anyone that's not a free transfer?
Does CFG have any interest in making this team successful or just a place to dump washed up European stars for headlines?
Hey, weren't we in for Can tho? Calling K Kjbert and his magical sphincter

Well we've signed 4 DPs so far in our history, 3 free transfers (with one of them being arguably the best DP in MLS history) and one more where it isn't clear if we've paid a transfer fee.

We've paid transfer fees for Matarrita, Chanot, and Ring (possibly Brillant, Martinez, Nemec, and Mena but Transfermarkt isn't clear).

Yes, we haven't spent transfer fees like Atlanta has. How many other teams have?
I guess I can't argue against this at the moment, but we should find out once a new DP is signed. Villa has been a homerun obviously. Lampard was not a success, but I truly think the club thought he would have success here (and he kinda did when healthy, but fair argument to be made we should never have signed him), and Pirlo may have been a marketing ploy. Maxi wasn't a great DP signing and we've hashed this one out a bit already.

Lets see what we do next. This is a big transfer window coming up for us with lots of new available Allocation Money and an available DP slot.

What Atlanta is doing is incredible, but I won't let the fact that one team is hitting grand slams piss me off. How many teams are currently outspending us? Atlanta, TFC, anyone else? (also, lets consider the Almiron article and the impact that Tata has had in bringing in those young guys to Atlanta)

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Well they're also signing 22-year-old CB Franco Escobar from Newell's.

Meanwhile, I can only assume our front office started their Christmas break after we failed out of the playoffs, and will start scrambling for players in February as usual. (Seriously, why do we always sign guys so late? Atlanta showing there's no reason to wait.)

Well we've signed 4 DPs so far in our history, 3 free transfers (with one of them being arguably the best DP in MLS history) and one more where it isn't clear if we've paid a transfer fee.

We've paid transfer fees for Matarrita, Chanot, and Ring (possibly Brillant, Martinez, Nemec, and Mena but Transfermarkt isn't clear).

Yes, we haven't spent transfer fees like Atlanta has. How many other teams have?

I guess I can't argue against this at the moment, but we should find out once a new DP is signed. Villa has been a homerun obviously. Lampard was not a success, but I truly think the club thought he would have success here (and he kinda did when healthy, but fair argument to be made we should never have signed him), and Pirlo may have been a marketing ploy. Maxi wasn't a great DP signing and we've hashed this one out a bit already.

Lets see what we do next. This is a big transfer window coming up for us with lots of new available Allocation Money and an available DP slot.

What Atlanta is doing is incredible, but I won't let the fact that one team is hitting grand slams piss me off. How many teams are currently outspending us? Atlanta, TFC, anyone else? (also, lets consider the Almiron article and the impact that Tata has had in bringing in those young guys to Atlanta)

Good points, but we're talking pocket change for guys like Matarrita. What was that $475k? ATL is dropping 25x as much. And while you're right in saying that few teams can spend like that in MLS, we should be one of them.

Yet we continue to be turned down by players and drag our feet on signing guys. Maybe we're missing out on guys solely because CFG won't open up their wallets.

Which one? This is the first I can remember any suggestion that we even maybe paid a fee for any of the the DPs.

As for the rest of your post, I agree. Atlanta is making everyone look cheap and behind the times. But we finished second in the conference 2 years in a row, and have spent reasonably high (if not always wisely) on DPs overall by non-Atlanta standards. I'm not sure anyone foresaw how much Blank would open his wallet. This is the first offseason where CFG has a meaningful chance to react. But I think the next couple of years will be telling on the still open question of whether being a part of CFG is going to be a great advantage or not. I hope it is, but I fear it could mean we are consistently very good but there's always someone who was better each year.