NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

We should get a Mexican.... The stadium would fill up

RBNJ got Rafa and that really filled up their stadium
giphy.gif

I have been hoping that Kagawa would tire of the bench in Germany and become a star in NYC. Even if he waits until contract expiration, he would be 30 with a lot of legs left, and would be a big draw for Japanese fans as a bonus.

Nah. MLS needs to start rejecting this kind of talk. He can go to China to collect a final check. Our league is proving right now that we are largely beyond this.

He said EARLY 30’s not mid or late prefer sure mls is not past a player like this in his early 30’s mid or late is another story.

He said EARLY 30’s not mid or late prefer sure mls is not past a player like this in his early 30’s mid or late is another story.

"If the plan goes like that, I'd sign for that now. I don't know at which age I want to play in MLS, it'll all depend on the trophies I'll have won beforehand. When I'm nearer 32 or 33, I want to be there. I still have to be presentable on the pitch." - Antoine Griezmann

The league needs to reject this, in my opinion. This is not a place you hope you have the legs for at 32 or 33 anymore. This is a place where you prove yourself at 19-23 and if you really have the chops, you move on and hopefully up. At worst, you play in a league where people love you (or hate you) for who you are; not who you were.

MLS does need to change the conversation, but being 32 or 33 shouldn't be an immediate no. Villa lit the league up from 33-35. Piatti. Higuain. Wondo. Dempsey. All guys that were/are incredibly productive into their early 30s.

The forwards seem more productive later than the midfielders. It's why it will be interesting to see where Rooney plays on the pitch.

MLS does need to change the conversation, but being 32 or 33 shouldn't be an immediate no. Villa lit the league up from 33-35. Piatti. Higuain. Wondo. Dempsey. All guys that were/are incredibly productive into their early 30s.

The forwards seem more productive later than the midfielders. It's why it will be interesting to see where Rooney plays on the pitch.
Exactly, it all depends on the player honestly. The examples you list are great. I don't expect much at all for Rooney and think this is the type of player that should be avoided, and he's 32. I still love the Zlatan signing and he's 36. Zlatan at 36 plays a lot younger than Rooney at 32.

There won't be a hard and fast rule when considering players like these over thirty. It'll be a combination of what their physical abilities are, as well as assessing how competitive they will be when they get here.

"If the plan goes like that, I'd sign for that now. I don't know at which age I want to play in MLS, it'll all depend on the trophies I'll have won beforehand. When I'm nearer 32 or 33, I want to be there. I still have to be presentable on the pitch." - Antoine Griezmann

The league needs to reject this, in my opinion. This is not a place you hope you have the legs for at 32 or 33 anymore. This is a place where you prove yourself at 19-23 and if you really have the chops, you move on and hopefully up. At worst, you play in a league where people love you (or hate you) for who you are; not who you were.
I think rejecting those sort of moves outright says more about fans’ insecurities than the league.

Would Buffon help you win the league? Yes, for pretty much any team.

Would 32 year old Griezmann make you better?

32 year old Godin?

32 Suarez?

The answer to all of these people is obviously yes. And notice I said “league”, not MLS.

There might be, and I stress might, 3 or 4 teams in the world who wouldn’t take every one of those players and be improved. And the fans of the rest would brag like crazy for signing any of them.

This league will have grown up when its fans stop judging signings based on what the world narrative is and start judging them solely on whether it was the best option to make your team better able to achieve its objectives (assuming you agree with team objectives).

I think the model for the time being is South America and if you look at Brazil, Argentina etc. They have both the up and coming guys cutting there chops in their late teens/early twenties and the guys who come back for one last hurrah in their 30's after having played their prime in Europe. There's room for both.

I think rejecting those sort of moves outright says more about fans’ insecurities than the league.

Would Buffon help you win the league? Yes, for pretty much any team.

Would 32 year old Griezmann make you better?

32 year old Godin?

32 Suarez?

The answer to all of these people is obviously yes. And notice I said “league”, not MLS.

There might be, and I stress might, 3 or 4 teams in the world who wouldn’t take every one of those players and be improved. And the fans of the rest would brag like crazy for signing any of them.

This league will have grown up when its fans stop judging signings based on what the world narrative is and start judging them solely on whether it was the best option to make your team better able to achieve its objectives (assuming you agree with team objectives).
100% correct. AG was very clear he still wants to be performing on the pitch when he makes the move.

Justin Meram appears to be on his way out in Orlando. dummyrun could we fit him into our squad cap hit wise?

Pushes Medina and Berget to the bench. Medina provides cover in the midfield and wide. Berget provides cover for Villa and the wide players. Pushes one of Lewis or McNamara out of the 18.

Justin Meram appears to be on his way out in Orlando. dummyrun could we fit him into our squad cap hit wise?

Pushes Medina and Berget to the bench. Medina provides cover in the midfield and wide. Berget provides cover for Villa and the wide players. Pushes one of Lewis or McNamara out of the 18.
It doesn’t push Berget to the bench because he’s not effective as a wing but he is as a CF. We’d probably go to 2 up front

Reactions: Kjbert and LeeNYCFC
Herrera season ending injury- I have a feeling MC will recall him and open that spot.
It doesn’t push Berget to the bench because he’s not effective as a wing but he is as a CF. We’d probably go to 2 up front
Seeing a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 would be a refreshing change from our classic 4-3-3

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich