NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Interesting article about Villyan Bijev, a 23-year-old American who was signed by Liverpool as an 18-year-old, couldn't get a work permit, and then bounced around smaller European leagues for 5 years. Typical story of a promising youngster whose development is wasted in Europe. Anyway, he is considering MLS.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the9...n-bijev-is-still-trying-to-make-it-in-soccer/

For some reason, San Jose sticks out in my head as having his discovery rights. I could be entirely wrong, but I think he is from Northern California

For some reason, San Jose sticks out in my head as having his discovery rights. I could be entirely wrong, but I think he is from Northern California
I'm torn between being awed by your random knowledge or certain in the belief that you must make this shit up to sound so good.

Serges deble- would love a player like this. A player like him is what we are missing in our attack. Kind of reminds me of loyd sam. He is playing for Viborg in denmark. Quick player who is very comfortable with the ball in one on one situations. Imagine the space he would open up for villa and lampard or poku.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and JayH
Discovery lists are fluid. He may have been on their list at one time, but depending on whom they are interested in, he could have been taken off and replaced. Being that the lists are secret, we'll never know.

Reactions: Kjbert
Discovery lists are fluid. He may have been on their list at one time, but depending on whom they are interested in, he could have been taken off and replaced. Being that the lists are secret, we'll never know.
I thought discovery rights were pretty insignificant, basically amounting to a 50k payoff to the right holding club. No?

I thought discovery rights were pretty insignificant, basically amounting to a 50k payoff to the right holding club. No?

That is 100% accurate. If its a big name or highly talented player that Garber wants in MLS, than which team holds the discovery rights mean basically jack.

That is 100% accurate. If its a big name or highly talented player that Garber wants in MLS, than which team holds the discovery rights mean basically jack.
True, but relating to this kid, it may have more impact. Although if he wants England eventually, MCFC via NYCFC would make the most sense if he really has the skill, so I could see him pushing that as his wish over SJ or wherever else.

I was thinking of Pelosi in regards to San Jose discovery rights and he is already there so that is irrelevant to Bijev.

Watching the video of all of our 2015 goals (http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/every-goal-of-2015.4034/#post-116467) reaffirmed what I have been saying for a while. We have a solid front 6 (3DPs, Mix, Poku, Mullins) with young backups who are at the perfect stage of their career for playing 15-30 minutes (Khiry, TMac). Plus, a wild card in Taylor returning.

I'd be perfectly happy to see us spend 100% of our offseason acquisitions on defense.

In fact, reliving the Mullins goals really made me want to see him get more time on the field. And those goals don't show the half of how much of a fighter he is for the team.

It is now 2016. I want some fuckin NYC footy to watch!!!

Watching the video of all of our 2015 goals (http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/every-goal-of-2015.4034/#post-116467) reaffirmed what I have been saying for a while. We have a solid front 6 (3DPs, Mix, Poku, Mullins) with young backups who are at the perfect stage of their career for playing 15-30 minutes (Khiry, TMac). Plus, a wild card in Taylor returning.

I'd be perfectly happy to see us spend 100% of our offseason acquisitions on defense.

In fact, reliving the Mullins goals really made me want to see him get more time on the field. And those goals don't show the half of how much of a fighter he is for the team.

It is now 2016. I want some fuckin NYC footy to watch!!!
I love Villas ability to score goals and his overall athletism, but Patrick Mullins is favorite player because every time he is on the pitch he is fighting for that goal, and fighting for more minutes and to me he has that spark off the ball that Villa sometimes doesn't have for getting into the right position to score. To me Mullins should be getting starting minutes or aleast be the super sub that he is capable of being every single game. My favorite examples of super sub is our home opener at Yankee stadium and when Kries pulled Villa off the pitch at Red Bulls arena and minutes later Mullins scores.

I love Villas ability to score goals and his overall athletism, but Patrick Mullins is favorite player because every time he is on the pitch he is fighting for that goal, and fighting for more minutes and to me he has that spark off the ball that Villa sometimes doesn't have for getting into the right position to score. To me Mullins should be getting starting minutes or aleast be the super sub that he is capable of being every single game. My favorite examples of super sub is our home opener at Yankee stadium and when Kries pulled Villa off the pitch at Red Bulls arena and minutes later Mullins scores.
Villa spent just way too much time pouting..... for a captain, it was embarrassing to see him walking and sulking. Mullins should get serious squad rotation time, to team with Villa and occasionally in place of Villa, and Villa should lose the armband - Lampard was already the on-field leader last season directing the players, so it seems a no-brainer.

Lampard doesn't deserve the armband.
Then there's a problem because nobody else fits the role of Captain. Mix it too young, Villa pouts and walks, Pirlo is too quiet and reserved, Wingert hopefully won't be on the field, Saunders is Saunders. Jacobson could probably wear it as he's experienced, was the iron man for playing time, and he not only is vocal but gets in the faces of opposing players - but based on a lot of posters on the Forum, he shouldn't even be on the field (which I disagree with), so why make him a candidate.....

Lampard is really the only choice if PV rips it from Villa. He scores, he is experienced, he's in a position to interact with all of the players on the field and instruct/motivate them.

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of Mix but I think PV should give it to him if Villa doesn't keep the arm band. Mix is up and coming and hopefully given the arm band can bring him out as a player and a leader for this team. Maybe next year. I'd just let Villa keep it for 2k16.

I don't think Villa would react well if PV were to take the Captain's armband from him. It could be a disaster and for that reason I think very unlikely. In fact I think the only way it happens is if Villa initiates it. But if it does happen I think Mix would be great and it could help him mature and grow.
And the most important thing is the respect of the team. As much as I resent him the team seems to have accepted Lampard fully and I would not be surprised if he did a good job and the team reacted well to it. With Villa signed for 2017 and Lampard not, I would definitely expect him to get it one game late in the season -- maybe last home game -- unless his contract is renewed. Maybe the same for Pirlo if he's not renewed for 2017 as well, although he seems to care less about such honors, I think. Who the hell knows what's going on behind that enigmatic beard.

Last edited:
The captaincy was a total cluster last year, and I don't think we ever really appreciated how long it will take to fix. Lampard is the de facto captain of the team, but the Man City shitshow meant it had to go to Villa by default, who is supremely talented, but far from vocal (he still doesn't even speak English!) and prone to extended sulks. Thing is, you can't just strip him of the captaincy, it would get too political. Only two solutions are:

A) Keep going as you are, with Villa as captain and Lampard pulling the strings. Kind of awkward.

B) Make some bullshit announcement saying Lampard is now 'club captain' to Villa's 'team captain' or some nonsense, and then hope Villa gets injured or something until everyone just assumes Frank is in charge. Kind of awkward.