NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

The captaincy was a total cluster last year, and I don't think we ever really appreciated how long it will take to fix. Lampard is the de facto captain of the team, but the Man City shitshow meant it had to go to Villa by default, who is supremely talented, but far from vocal (he still doesn't even speak English!) and prone to extended sulks. Thing is, you can't just strip him of the captaincy, it would get too political. Only two solutions are:

A) Keep going as you are, with Villa as captain and Lampard pulling the strings. Kind of awkward.

B) Make some bullshit announcement saying Lampard is now 'club captain' to Villa's 'team captain' or some nonsense, and then hope Villa gets injured or something until everyone just assumes Frank is in charge. Kind of awkward.
There is no situation in which I can imagine hoping Villa gets injured. Purest insanity.

Villa has given his heart and soul to this team since day 1. His career accolades speak for themselves. His teammates love him (watch his interactions with them during practices and games). He's super intense on the field (who can take issue with that?), but also very close and friendly, often a jokester with his teammates off the field. He pouts at times, which is less than optimal, but it mostly is a product of his intensity, and I suspect no one is offended. He's also the first one when a teammate scores to bear hug them or jump on their back. Comfort with English or not, he's a fine and deserved captain. And I do think Lampard plays and will continue to play a role commensurate with a captain as well, in different ways than Villa, which is great.

Villa has given his heart and soul to this team since day 1. His career accolades speak for themselves. His teammates love him (watch his interactions with them during practices and games). He's super intense on the field (who can take issue with that?), but also very close and friendly, often a jokester with his teammates off the field. He pouts at times, which is less than optimal, but it mostly is a product of his intensity, and I suspect no one is offended. He's also the first one when a teammate scores to bear hug them or jump on their back. Comfort with English or not, he's a fine and deserved captain. And I do think Lampard plays and will continue to play a role commensurate with a captain as well, in different ways than Villa, which is great.
Heh, the one exception to the "first one when a teammates scores..." remark was the awkward aftermath to the Tommy Mac top-corner screamer against Philly.

Agree with other posters that the risks + downsides of trying to move the armband at this point seem to outweigh any potential benefits. I wonder how well this forum's attitude towards Lampard represents that of the general NYCFC-following public, though.

Reactions: JayH
Heh, the one exception to the "first one when a teammates scores..." remark was the awkward aftermath to the Tommy Mac top-corner screamer against Philly.
Also, after Mullins put back Villa's missed PK against Toronto, Villa kind of jogged quarter-speed over to the celebration. To be fair, I don't think he was so much annoyed at Mullins of course, as annoyed with himself. But he did let his tendency to sulk and/or be self-critical slightly get in the way of running over to Mullins.

lol what some want lampard to be captain? thats gonna be another major mistake if it happens, just keep villa as the captain until he get less game time or something. if you want to change it, lampard is NOT the guy to change it too after the whole lampard gate.

Reactions: NYCFCP
Villa spent just way too much time pouting..... for a captain, it was embarrassing to see him walking and sulking. Mullins should get serious squad rotation time, to team with Villa and occasionally in place of Villa, and Villa should lose the armband - Lampard was already the on-field leader last season directing the players, so it seems a no-brainer.

Lampard deserves the armband after playing 10 games over the last 2 months of the season? The problem is they don't really have anybody that's deserving so the decision is far from being a no-brainer.

Reactions: BxLio91
The Captain's armband for NYCFC is not about on field leadership, it's about marketing. Captain David Villa, first out of the tunnel on nationally televised games. It gets ratings and ticket sales, that's all.

I'd like to see Mix as captain, but I think that Jason Hernandez would be a wise choice.

Reactions: EganSoccerWords
Watching the video of all of our 2015 goals (http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/every-goal-of-2015.4034/#post-116467) reaffirmed what I have been saying for a while. We have a solid front 6 (3DPs, Mix, Poku, Mullins) with young backups who are at the perfect stage of their career for playing 15-30 minutes (Khiry, TMac). Plus, a wild card in Taylor returning.

I'd be perfectly happy to see us spend 100% of our offseason acquisitions on defense.

In fact, reliving the Mullins goals really made me want to see him get more time on the field. And those goals don't show the half of how much of a fighter he is for the team.

It is now 2016. I want some fuckin NYC footy to watch!!!

I'd like to see a video of all the saves from 2015. It would probably be more than an hour long.

I don't think Villa would react well if PV were to take the Captain's armband from him. It could be a disaster and for that reason I think very unlikely. In fact I think the only way it happens is if Villa initiates it. But if it does happen I think Mix would be great and it could help him mature and grow.
And the most important thing is the respect of the team. As much as I resent him the team seems to have accepted Lampard fully and I would not be surprised if he did a good job and the team reacted well to it. With Villa signed for 2017 and Lampard not, I would definitely expect him to get it one game late in the season -- maybe last home game -- unless his contract is renewed. Maybe the same for Pirlo if he's not renewed for 2017 as well, although he seems to care less about such honors, I think. Who the hell knows what's going on behind that enigmatic beard.
There's no question taking the armband from Villa would possibly/likely cause initial problems, but PV has to make the team his by putting his stamp on it, and if that means making somebody else the captain then Villa will have to put on his big-boy pants and deal with it..... the last thing the team needs is a leader that moans and gripes at supposed non-calls if he hasn't scored in the first 20 minutes of a game. And unless he's improved his English, there's only so much motivating he can do with the non-Spanish speaking players when they're down a goal, he hasn't scored, and he's offside walking back to the center-line.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The Captain's armband for NYCFC is not about on field leadership, it's about marketing. Captain David Villa, first out of the tunnel on nationally televised games. It gets ratings and ticket sales, that's all.

I'd like to see Mix as captain, but I think that Jason Hernandez would be a wise choice.
The hope should be that Hernandez is only good enough for the bench this year.

I'd like to see a video of all the saves from 2015. It would probably be more than an hour long.
Hell, you can see two of the non-saves on the ESPN FC mls shakatrocious top 5 screw ups.

Just watch highlights of dodgeball peg outs. That's about how most of them were saved. Or if there's a video of all of Villa's botched one on ones. Between him and now Benteke, I've seen more flubbed one on ones in one year than any man should ever have to suffer.

Lampard deserves the armband after playing 10 games over the last 2 months of the season? The problem is they don't really have anybody that's deserving so the decision is far from being a no-brainer.
I guess you never watched what he did when he was playing ??? If you did, then you must've been looking down at your food a lot because he was constantly directing players to get them in the proper positions & organizing the defensive shape, liaising with the ref, and motivating the team to step up. Plus he was the guy that deflected Kreis' criticism at post-game interviews. 10 games or not, that's the mark of the captain.

I guess you never watched what he did when he was playing ??? If you did, then you must've been looking down at your food a lot because he was constantly directing players to get them in the proper positions & organizing the defensive shape, liaising with the ref, and motivating the team to step up. Plus he was the guy that deflected Kreis' criticism at post-game interviews. 10 games or not, that's the mark of the captain.

Never underestimate the power of Nathan's dogs when hungry.

There is no situation in which I can imagine hoping Villa gets injured. Purest insanity.

Haha yeah, for the record, I'm not saying it'd be a good thing for the team if Villa gets injured. He's obviously our best player. I just mean an injury layoff is the only way you're going to sneak a change of the captaincy through the backdoor. Otherwise you open up all kinds of political infighting.

In the chalk talk I went to last season the coaches openly admitted that Lampard was the de facto captain, and did more to lead and organize the team than any other player (well, when he was here anyway). Villa, by comparison, apparently keeps himself to himself more. I love the guy, but I don't think that leadership role comes naturally to him, it was pretty much thrust upon him.

Haha yeah, for the record, I'm not saying it'd be a good thing for the team if Villa gets injured. He's obviously our best player. I just mean an injury layoff is the only way you're going to sneak a change of the captaincy through the backdoor. Otherwise you open up all kinds of political infighting.

In the chalk talk I went to last season the coaches openly admitted that Lampard was the de facto captain, and did more to lead and organize the team than any other player (well, when he was here anyway). Villa, by comparison, apparently keeps himself to himself more. I love the guy, but I don't think that leadership role comes naturally to him, it was pretty much thrust upon him.
Villa has always been a diva. Frank is a fat bastard out for himself, but he grinds to get there. I don't like him, but I will recognize that. Villa is not a captain. I've been on that for a while. But I honestly can't be bothered to congratulate myself on every single seemingly prescient observation I make, so I choose my battles.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Makes no sense to take away the arm band from villa unless he doesn't want it. He's is a diva but he's our diva and our leading scorer. I don't think making villa unhappy is the best course of action.

A real leader doesnt need an arm band to lead but I guess we will see what happens.

Reactions: FootyLovin
If Frank showed up on time, he would have gotten the armband. He didn't, so he forfeits that right. You can't reward bullshit like that because of someone's name. He clearly showed that he cares more about himself than the team so what message does it send if you give him the armband?

If Frank showed up on time, he would have gotten the armband. He didn't, so he forfeits that right. You can't reward bullshit like that because of someone's name. He clearly showed that he cares more about himself than the team so what message does it send if you give him the armband?

I understand the frustration but we can't 100% know for certain what happened behind those closed doors. We can only assume what happened, and most people are believing what the media portrayed. I'm not saying rip the armband off of Villa's sleeve (although I'm also in the belief that Villa isn't the most qualified captain) Lampard should have the right to have a voice on the field and in the locker room. Whatever happened in 2015 we need to put behind us and look forward to 2016.

Reactions: Christopher Jee