NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

really hoping we land brandon vincent now. Looks like texiera rumors are heating up though. If we land him and vincent that would be amazing.

http://nycfcwatch.sportsblog.com/po...-after-by-nycfc--player-wants-a-transfer.html

Also- would still love bjorn maars johnsen or maybe conor doyle as back up strikers.

Teixeira looks pretty built, at least compared to Hernandez, and has four inches of height on him (6'2" to 5'10"). I don't know much about his play style, but I'm inferring that a functioning partnership between him and Mena would be super imposing.

And even better than Vincent would be landing Teixeira, Matarrita, and Harrison. If the defense works out, imagine this as your worst possible 2017 starting lineup (i.e. add DP's and loanees to this):

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Reactions: Ulrich
Teixeira looks pretty built, at least compared to Hernandez, and has four inches of height on him (6'2" to 5'10"). I don't know much about his play style, but I'm inferring that a functioning partnership between him and Mena would be super imposing.

And even better than Vincent would be landing Teixeira, Matarrita, and Harrison. If the defense works out, imagine this as your worst possible 2017 starting lineup (i.e. add DP's and loanees to this):

The weak link in that formation is Shelton..... if this season he can increase his defensive workrate and then make better decision when he gets to the box, he could be dangerous on the wing.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

I'm really looking forward to 2017. If we make two good DP signings we are looking pretty. My guess with if we are sticking with the 4-3-3 with that lineup we need to go after a stud CDM destroyer and someone at RW. We also need to budget how we are going to resign Poku.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm really looking forward to 2017. If we make two good DP signings we are looking pretty. My guess with if we are sticking with the 4-3-3 with that lineup we need to go after a stud CDM destroyer and someone at RW. We also need to budget how we are going to resign Poku.
2017 is when Luis Suarez gets pissed at Barca for handing the keys to the car to Neymar and says adios as he heads to NYCFC.

I'm thinking

-----------------------------Villa------Mullins-----------Poku---------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------Lampard-------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------Mix----------------------Pirlo------------------------------------------
-----------Vincent-------------------------------------------------------------------Iraola--------------
--------------------------------Texieira-----------------Mena---------------------------------------
------------------------------------------Saunders--------------------------------------------------
Poku looked great on the right and Mullins is a fighter up top needs to start. Villa looked great attacking from left. Mix wants to play the number six so let him play that. That CB tandem can be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCMore
I'm thinking

---------------Mullins---------------------------Villa-----lampard---------Poku---------------Pirlo-------------Mix------------------Vincent------------------------Iraola---------------texieria---mena---------------------------------Saunders----------------

Poku looked great on the right and Mullins is a fighter up top needs to start. Villa looked great attacking from left. Mix wants to play the number six so let him play that. That CB tandem can be awesome.
Yes. But make it PV's 4-3-3 by moving Villa and Poku next to Mullins. You're basically having them do the same thing but with Villa in position instead of out of position. I like it.

With Poku as one of the DPs?
I think it makes more sense to save some TAM money for Poku, but alot of this depends if he becomes the star we know he is capable of becoming next season. I don't thing he will be able to get a 1 million+ salary from Europe.

Reactions: FootyLovin
The weak link in that formation is Shelton..... if this season he can increase his defensive workrate and then make better decision when he gets to the box, he could be dangerous on the wing.

Why do you hate Shelton? Guy just got called into USMNT camp.

I don't hate Shelton at all, but his technical and tactical abilities are behind his natural speed (ability). Too often last year he'd get to the box and hurry a pass towards Villa when he had position to take the defender on and drive to goal -or- he'd have zero chance on goal and rather than pass dribble in to a double team. Really, I like the guy and hope he matures under PV, but in the lineup posted he would be the weakest link.

Also, the January MNT camp is not a camp to necessarily brag about - with no European based players (outside of Scandinavia) ever called in, the camp amounts to more of a chance for the coaches to see some U-23 & MLS outliers in person. Yes he can say he was called in to camp, but unless it translates to more call-ups and real playing time, it really won't carry much cache in the long run.

Last edited:
U23 has a big series against Columbia to qualify for the Olympics. Not surprising to want some of those U23 guys in camp, to get them ready for that series. I don't think he is a winger anyway, best case scenario is that he takes over the striker role from Villa when he decides to hang them up.

Do MLS clubs have to pay the salary of the players they loan in? And if yes, then what part of these players' salary do they have to pay?

I've just looked through the official salary list and it means that not only Calle and Meara, but both Facey (with 120 or 150k salary) and Angelibo (70k) were paid from NYCFC budget. It's quite strange, especially in case with Shay, isn't it?

And if you don't have to pay more than the minimum salary (or if you don't have to pay at all to the player you loan in), it would be a good idea for Man City to buy players and bring to NY, wouldn't it?

BTW, we've signed an australian player this october for free as his contract had expired and sent him on load to a championship club immidiately, but he returned in december and there hasn't been a sign of him eversince. Moreover, the latest gossips state that we're going to sign another player from A-League, but this time we'll be paying a fee for him.

Last edited:
Do MLS clubs have to pay the salary of the players they loan in? And if yes, then what part of these players' salary do they have to pay?

I've just looked through the official salary list and it means that not only Calle and Meara, but both Facey (with 120 or 150k salary) and Angelibo (70k) were paid from NYCFC budget. It's quite strange, especially in case with Shay, isn't it?

And if you don't have to pay more than the minimum salary (or if you don't have to pay at all to the player you loan in), it would be a good idea for Man City to buy players and bring to NY, wouldn't it?

BTW, we've signed an australian player this october for free as his contract had expired and sent him on load to a championship club immidiately, but he returned in december and there has been nothing about him eversince. Moreover, the latest gossips state that we're gonn asign another player from A-League, but this time we'll be paying a fee for him.
Because of the salary cap, MLS made a special rule for loans between affiliated teams back when Chivas USA was around. In those situations, the MLS team gets charged for the player's full salary even if the affiliated club pays all or part of it. I believe that for loans to MLS from unaffiliated teams, the regular rule is the MLS team is only charged for the salary portion it actually pays.

I don't hate Shelton at all, but his technical and tactical abilities are behind his natural speed (ability). Too often last year he'd get to the box and hurry a pass towards Villa when he had position to take the defender on and drive to goal -or- he'd have zero chance on goal and rather than pass dribble in to a double team. Really, I like the guy and hope he matures under PV, but in the lineup posted he would be the weakest link.

Also, the January MNT camp is not a camp to necessarily brag about - with no European based players (outside of Scandinavia) ever called in, the camp amounts to more of a chance for the coaches to see some U-23 & MLS outliers in person. Yes he can say he was called in to camp, but unless it translates to more call-ups and real playing time, it really won't carry much cache in the long run.

There are 100 other guys in MLS who were not called into camp that are U-23. Yes, I understand this isn't a pre-World Cup camp. But there are a ton of guys who weren't called in - and a guy like Perry Kitchen was called in as a replacement.

In evaluating Shelton's 2015 I think you have to take into account that he got almost all of his reps during the 11-game winless streak. The team had a new lineup every game. No consistency of players in the midst of a miserable losing streak with an angry strike partner who can't effectively mentor you due to language barriers. That's tough for a kid new to the pros.

He undoubtedly had plenty of poor decisions and rough touches. But last year was a very bad setup for evaluating what he can become. Count me as cautiously hopeful.

In evaluating Shelton's 2015 I think you have to take into account that he got almost all of his reps during the 11-game winless streak. The team had a new lineup every game. No consistency of players in the midst of a miserable losing streak with an angry strike partner who can't effectively mentor you due to language barriers. That's tough for a kid new to the pros.

He undoubtedly had plenty of poor decisions and rough touches. But last year was a very bad setup for evaluating what he can become. Count me as cautiously hopeful.
I'm cautiously optimistic too, but right now he is purely an impact sub for me. However, I like him in that role because he offers something we otherwise don't really have. There were times very early in the season where he helped changed the dynamic. But, for better or worse, I think his skills are fairly incompatible with the core of our team and therefore don't think he is part of our best 11.

I think he also suffered by comparisons to Larin, who was an outlier in terms of rookie season performance.

He was arguably the second best player on the field in the Puerto Rico Friendly. If he finishes both of his touches, people here call him a superstar.

I'm calling it now - he has a Gyasi Zardes-like breakout season this year. I still think his best position is as a RW and not a RM (mediocre defender but good work rate) but for now, I'll take whatever we can get out of him.

Reactions: gbservis and Gene
2017 is when Luis Suarez gets pissed at Barca for handing the keys to the car to Neymar and says adios as he heads to NYCFC.

Here's my vote for 2017 DP once Lamps is done. Stick this guy in at CDM and 37/38 year old Pirlo could just bring a chair into midfield and sit there, stand up when he gets a pass, feed Villa an overhead through-ball, then sit back down. At least that's what I did in Fifa :p

upload_2016-1-11_9-55-41.png