NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

With Harrison in the fold, I think it's even more important for the front office to complete its deal for Mattarita. Nothing like developing our left flank with two young, fast, and exciting prospects. Funny thing is (or sad, depending how you look at it), they both may get important minutes this season.

With International spots at a premium though, I have a hunch that we may release a player or two before training camp starts.

With International spots at a premium though, I have a hunch that we may release a player or two before training camp starts.

For international spots, the only non-DP internationals we have are Iraola, Mena, and Johansen. We can't really afford to cut defender or goalkeeper right now.

Also, we still have 10 international spots after trading for two last year. Which means we have three available after the DPs, the three mentioned above, and Harrison.

8 Spots + 1 from DCU + 1 from LAG:

http://www.dcunited.com/post/2014/12/08/dc-united-trades-international-roster-slot-new-york-city-fc
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/07/14/new-york-city-fc-sign-colombian-defender-jefferson-mena

By the end of last season I think it was pretty widely accepted that (besides the back 4) we needed to sign a more competent CDM to cover for Pirlo. We signed a depth CB, a promising midfielder/winger, and look to be going after 2 more for the back line. I think its curious that we haven't heard anything about a new CDM. Does that mean PV thinks 30yr old AJ is good enough? Maybe he's already gunning for a 4-3-3 and going to put all his faith in the back line? Maybe he sees Mix as that CDM? Are there any solid defensive mid potential loanees? Personally I think it means a 4-3-3, with Pirlo at the center mid line. If that's the case we better hope these defensive signings happen/work out.

EDIT: I could see playing Pirlo at the base of a 4-3-3 when were already down and need to feed Villa, and Mix if we need the defensive cover and box-to-box possession.

By the end of last season I think it was pretty widely accepted that (besides the back 4) we needed to sign a more competent CDM to cover for Pirlo. We signed a depth CB, a promising midfielder/winger, and look to be going after 2 more for the back line. I think its curious that we haven't heard anything about a new CDM. Does that mean PV thinks 30yr old AJ is good enough? Maybe he's already gunning for a 4-3-3 and going to put all his faith in the back line? Maybe he sees Mix as that CDM? Are there any solid defensive mid potential loanees? Personally I think it means a 4-3-3, with Pirlo at the center mid line. If that's the case we better hope these defensive signings happen/work out.
The idea with the 4-3-3 is to clog the middle in order to cover for Pirlo and force teams to attack via the wings. I personally don't want to see another central midfielder signed.

Yeah agreed - if it's going to be a 4-3-3 then we don't need one. All signs so far point to that being PV's preferred lineup. If that's the case, fitting Poku/Lamp/Mix/Pirlo in together just got even harder. Still like where we're at so far though. 4-3-3 could be incredibly exciting if we can make it work. I wonder if Harrison could end up being our Ethan Finlay. He was great all season, and post-season was especially deadly on the wing. We still lack a big target forward tho. Our puzzle pieces continue to be just slightly mismatched.

I don't think a 4-3-3 makes it harder to sort out the midfield. I think it becomes easier.

The front is pretty clearly Villa, Poku and Mullins with Harrison, Shelton and Taylor backing up.

The next line is Lampard, Pirlo and Mix, with Jacobson and Ballouchy backing up.

TMac could backup either forward or mid, I think.

The only real question is the order across each line. For the front, the question is whether Villa plays on the left or in the middle. I think Poku plays on the wing unless the CF plays more withdrawn.

For the midfield, you have to ask whether Pirlo plays in the middle and back a bit, or whether Pirlo and Mix are on the sides and a little behind a forward charging Lampard.

I don't think a 4-3-3 makes it harder to sort out the midfield. I think it becomes easier.

The front is pretty clearly Villa, Poku and Mullins with Harrison, Shelton and Taylor backing up.

The next line is Lampard, Pirlo and Mix, with Jacobson and Ballouchy backing up.

The only real question is the order across each line. For the front, the question is whether Villa plays on the left or in the middle. I think Poku plays on the wing unless the CF plays more withdrawn.

For the midfield, you have to ask whether Pirlo plays in the middle and back a bit, or whether Pirlo and Mix are on the sides and a little behind a forward charging Lampard.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. It's very simple in concept however it makes too much sense to work out smoothly in reality hahaha. One thing I'm excited about is our actual depth this year.

On a side note, and I'm not singling you out specifically. Why is everyone placing Harrison up there on the right forward spot? He's a lefty who normally plays central mid or left winger described as a playmaker who isn't particularly selfish in trying to score himself. Only thing I can gather from this forum are speculations saying that maybe he could cut to the inside and attack the net which to me doesn't make sense for his style of play. But the same majority would complain about Mix being played out of position and not used to his full potential. o_O

I generally agree, but I think we need to hear from PV about where Poku fits best. Is he a forward, or is he a midfielder? He needs a position, PV needs to pick one and teach it to him. Then I think all the other pieces fall into place. If he's a mid, maybe we'll add an EDS winger too.

Agree with you guys for the most part. If we can play Poku out of the midfield (false 9 or right wing) then we can get all 4 on the field and have Harrison back up Villa at left wing. There has been a lot of talk on here about Poku needing space for the attack, and I agree, but I think he can be plenty effective at false 9 or on a wing cutting in. So far the only indication we've had is PR where he played on the right in central midfield, so that's what I had been going off of.

Also think about this: With more men forward we can dedicate our defensemen to... well, play defense.

I think this could be the best thing about the 4-3-3.

I was reading more about Matarrita, and he really sounds like a Angelino clone with a little less upside. Is that really the LB we need in a 4-3-3? Especially when you already have Iraola, who should be able to provide more offense after getting healthy this offseason.

I saw an article suggesting we loan in Ellis Plummer from EDS. He's a CB/LB that's pretty similar to Facey - a shorter CB that may be best long term as a fullback. He could be a fullback with a defensive mindset for us. In any event, with Teixeira in the fold and only two interntional spots left, I'll bet Matarrita is out and a loanee is in for the LB spot.

Last edited:
I think this could be the best thing about the 4-3-3.

I was reading more about Matarrita, and he really sounds like a Angelino clone with a little less upside. Is that really the LB we need in a 4-3-3? Especially when you already have Iraola, who should be able to provide more offense after getting healthy this offseason.

I saw an article suggesting we loan in Ellis Plummer from EDS. He's a CB/LB that's pretty similar to Facey - a shorter CB that may be best long term as a fullback. He could be a fullback with a defensive mindset for us. In any event, with Teixeira in the fold and only two interntional spots left, I'll bet Matarrita is out and a loanee is in for the LB spot.
I think you need those fullbacks to push up to provide width and create those overloads out wide when you have a fairly narrow midfield 3. Of course you also need pacy centerbacks and the ability to score loads of goals.

I think you need those fullbacks to push up to provide width and create those overloads out wide when you have a fairly narrow midfield 3. Of course you also need pacy centerbacks and the ability to score loads of goals.
I just wish our outside backs would think defense first and attack second....

Yeah to support the midfield, but we don't necessarily need them making runs into the box, right? Angelino spent more time on the offensive side of the field than our own half.

Back