Philippe Mexes
Martin Caceres

What would you all make of these players:

Leandro Damiao
Kevin-Prince Boateng
Philippe Mexes
Martin Caceres
  • Leandro Damiao
Great signing. Younger, crafty finisher, creative. Not a perfect pair for Villa, and not the target forward/lone striker that we need to play in YS. But he'd be a very strong asset for the club.
  • Kevin-Prince Boateng
Considering the current roster, not crazy about it. We've got a midfield logjam. A player with his skills would obviously be useful, but we'd have to offload some dead weight to make room for him, and we have bigger needs elsewhere.
  • Philippe Mexes
  • Martin Caceres
I don't like signing defenders to DP contracts, so although they'd be massive upgrades over what we have, no. Solid enough defenders are relatively easy to acquire in MLS on the cheap, so it's not worth having to fill an attacking role with a lower quality talent.

Full list of released Premier League players who can be had on a free transfer:

http://m.premierleague.com/en-gb/ne...clubs-submit-retained-and-released-lists.html

Adebayor (Crystal Palace) in MLS please (not with NYCFC though)
I could see Vieira asking Flamini (Arsenal) about a MLS move.
Brede Hangeland (Crystal Palace) could be a good depth move since he's an American.
Martin Dimchelis (MCFC) might still be worth taking a look at?
Victor Valdes was released by Manchester United, though I'm sure he'd want a lot of money.
Gaston Ramirez would be a great pick up from the few games I've seen him play. He's 25 years old, would be a great pickup if we managed to clear space. Could easily replace Lampard as a dangerous attacking midfielder.
Steven Fletcher might be worth a look up top to help compliment Villa.

Thoughts?
Found this about Bendtner. MLS thinks he may be going to LAFC or Atlanta
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-centenario-opens-nicklas-bendtner-linked-mls

It's under "incoming?"

Late responding to these, but physical strikers like Bendtner and Adebayor would be very useful on Yankee Stadium's narrow field. If we want to win at home, we have to go more direct, and either of those guys would enable that.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Ulrich
I would like to see Ad

John Brooks? why not? He is a good CB.

He's going to find his way to Bayern or the PL. 1. CFG would only pay his fee for Man City and 2. Would not want to stifle his development by bringing him to MLS.

On that note. A transfer to Man City (not like I support them, just good for him) and eventually coming to us in 7 odd years would be amazing. But then we'd be using a DP on a CB... Maybe that's not so bad if our youth system is developing real talent by then.

What would you all make of these players:

Leandro Damiao
Kevin-Prince Boateng
Philippe Mexes
Martin Caceres

I would go with either South American.

Leandro has ok size to play up top, fills a need. I'd prefer a tad bigger striker. He's not a DP though IMO. Not sure what his price would be.

Caceres is an very underrated defender, can play CB, LB, RB. Probably staying in Serie A though. Not really worth a DP spot, but close. We couldn't afford him otherwise.

It's gonna be very interesting to see where this club goes with the Lampard DP spot. It sucks that it might have to be a mid season move if it's a European player.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I would go with either South American.

Leandro has ok size to play up top, fills a need. I'd prefer a tad bigger striker. He's not a DP though IMO. Not sure what his price would be.

Caceres is an very underrated defender, can play CB, LB, RB. Probably staying in Serie A though. Not really worth a DP spot, but close. We couldn't afford him otherwise.

It's gonna be very interesting to see where this club goes with the Lampard DP spot. It sucks that it might have to be a mid season move if it's a European player.

I'm all in on Kaisuke Honda. With AC Milan under new ownership and Honda with one year left on his deal, he could potentially join us during any of the next three transfer windows. He's also slightly out of favor there, yet would probably dominate here, and fit our system as a winger or CAM. Basically the best upgrade for McNamara you could get, and super marketable.

I also really want Brad Guzan. It's too rare of a situation to pass up - the #1 US goalkeeper available after relegation from the EPL, coupled with a massive need at goalkeeper.

Could something like Mix to DC United, who could slot him in as a DP, for a bunch of allocation money work? That would be a net gain of $750,000 (Mix's salary) + $500,000 (GAM) = $1.25 million in cap room. That might be enough to entice Guzan here? Or is this wishful thinking?

I also really want Brad Guzan. It's too rare of a situation to pass up - the #1 US goalkeeper available after relegation from the EPL, coupled with a massive need at goalkeeper.

Could something like Mix to DC United, who could slot him in as a DP, for a bunch of allocation money work? That would be a net gain of $750,000 (Mix's salary) + $500,000 (GAM) = $1.25 million in cap room. That might be enough to entice Guzan here? Or is this wishful thinking?
I'd love Guzan, but next to John Brooks, Guzan's value is skyrocketing during the Copa. He's only been beaten on a Set Play corner, a PK, and a shot that was visually screened. That's not bad considering the competition. I'd bet his agent has already fielded calls from teams that now realize what he can do with 10 guys that have more than a pulse & a tab at the pub. If he shows well against Argentina, MLS can forget about any chance of signing him.

I'd love Guzan, but next to John Brooks, Guzan's value is skyrocketing during the Copa. He's only been beaten on a Set Play corner, a PK, and a shot that was visually screened. That's not bad considering the competition. I'd bet his agent has already fielded calls from teams that now realize what he can do with 10 guys that have more than a pulse & a tab at the pub. If he shows well against Argentina, MLS can forget about any chance of signing him.

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but that's a great point to expand on and why a 2 continent Copa America is so important and hopefully continues. It gives our USMNT players an opportunity to shine every other summer vs top competition (since no one takes CONCACAF only cups seriously) and find their way to the biggest clubs in the word, which can only strengthen our national team and even earn some large transfer fees for MLS teams with USMNT on their roster who excel in those situations.

When I watch Guzan, I think of us playing out of the back with him. He would be a good fit. But like what was said, his value has risen significantly with a good showing in Copa.

Reactions: sbrylski
Maybe the wrong thread for this, but that's a great point to expand on and why a 2 continent Copa America is so important and hopefully continues.
The Copa usually has 12 teams. They expanded it to 16 for the Centennial. But since CONMEBOL has only 10 teams they always invite 2 extras so we could go on occasion. The USA -- at least according to Wikipedia, is often invited and usually declines because of conflicts with MLS. "The United States was invited to every tournament between 1997 and 2007 but frequently turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with Major League Soccer. However, on 30 October 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation to participate in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12-year absence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América
Maybe if we had accepted during that period we would not have been invited the subsequent tournaments. Can't say. This was our first appearance since 2007 and I don't know if we were invited in between and the wiki doesn't say.

Reactions: adam
Andre Gignac, wears #10 for the French national team. He is a starter do France and currently plays for Tigres of Mexico. He is the top scorer of the Mexica league 2 years in a row.

Reactions: Rimil and Kjbert
The Copa usually has 12 teams. They expanded it to 16 for the Centennial. But since CONMEBOL has only 10 teams they always invite 2 extras so we could go on occasion. The USA -- at least according to Wikipedia, is often invited and usually declines because of conflicts with MLS. "The United States was invited to every tournament between 1997 and 2007 but frequently turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with Major League Soccer. However, on 30 October 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation to participate in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12-year absence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América
Maybe if we had accepted during that period we would not have been invited the subsequent tournaments. Can't say. This was our first appearance since 2007 and I don't know if we were invited in between and the wiki doesn't say.
Pretty sure we've been invited since and turned them down each time.