NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Only the Homegrowns can look for the afikomen.
Last week Scully asked, “why is tonight different from most nights? On most nights I ask you for allowance, but tonight I have cash money!”

Reactions: Fake Jew
I think it's great -- look at all the upgrades we've made, and there's still a ton of salary cap space to make even more improvements in the summer and after the World Cup. If there are areas that need shoring up, we've got the room to make substantial moves.

I generally agree with this and I think we've got one of the best rosters in the league. On the other hand, by my spreadsheet guesses we've got around $3.2m in 2018 TAM, $1.2m 2019 TAM, $750k GAM, and 2 senior roster slots available to us right now. That's not just flexibility, it's two whole Zlatans. On top of that, the front office is getting off cheap this year because they cut a bunch of salary and pocketed $2.25m plus from the Harrison sale. If NYCFC isn't a clear title frontrunner—and table aside, we've been decent but not great so far—then maybe fans ought to make more noise about the penny pinching.

I generally agree with this and I think we've got one of the best rosters in the league. On the other hand, by my spreadsheet guesses we've got around $3.2m in 2018 TAM, $1.2m 2019 TAM, $750k GAM, and 2 senior roster slots available to us right now. That's not just flexibility, it's two whole Zlatans. On top of that, the front office is getting off cheap this year because they cut a bunch of salary and pocketed $2.25m plus from the Harrison sale. If NYCFC isn't a clear title frontrunner—and table aside, we've been decent but not great so far—then maybe fans ought to make more noise about the penny pinching.

Explain the lower TAM for 2019 please?

I generally agree with this and I think we've got one of the best rosters in the league. On the other hand, by my spreadsheet guesses we've got around $3.2m in 2018 TAM, $1.2m 2019 TAM, $750k GAM, and 2 senior roster slots available to us right now. That's not just flexibility, it's two whole Zlatans. On top of that, the front office is getting off cheap this year because they cut a bunch of salary and pocketed $2.25m plus from the Harrison sale.
Alternatively, we could have even better players from jump street.

So, no. I’ll not participate in your celebration of presumed NYC fc genius.

At least not until I see a reason.
If NYCFC isn't a clear title frontrunner—and table aside, we've been decent but not great so far—then maybe fans ought to make more noise about the penny pinching.

Aww, you really do love me. Between you and mgarbowski , I'll never have to do spreadsheet monkey work again. At least for the board.

Reactions: adam
There's a rule that we can "pull forward" next year's $1.2m in league TAM and spend it now if we want. Next season's discretionary TAM cap will be $2.8m but we can't pull that part forward.

Got it. I thought your post meant we only had $1.2 million in TAM to spend in 2019. You were referencing the ability to pull it forward which makes sense now that I re-read your post. Thanks.

I think the bigger issue is that they'd presumably also need another international roster spot.

Going rate is around $125k GAM. We could afford two Zlatans and two international slots.

It'll be interesting to see how much the Galaxy have to pay (and who) for the spot for Zlatan (it looks like they don't have a spot currently). LAFC will also need one for Horta in the summer and another one will be used by Minn with Quintero. That leaves 15 or so empty spots.

It also shows how much of a rush job/unexpected getting Ofori was and how much they presumably like him.

Not that it really matters, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they've burned through the first $1.2 million in TAM already since they presumably have to tell the league how much they are using for the winter signings by the March 1 compliance date. That would give them give themselves as much salary cap space for the summer.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they've burned through the first $1.2 million in TAM already since they presumably have to tell the league how much they are using for the winter signings by the March 1 compliance date. That would give them give themselves as much salary cap space for the summer.

Yeah the $1.2m in league TAM has to be invested, although we don't know by what date. If we didn't spend it all on the winter signings we at least came pretty close.

Yeah the $1.2m in league TAM has to be invested, although we don't know by what date. If we didn't spend it all on the winter signings we at least came pretty close.

At some point they may put out a list of the TAM players like they did at the end of March last year:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-resources/2017-targeted-allocation-money-players

Last year they used it on Ring, Chanot, and Brilliant (all three made less than the max in salary, so I guess they paid some type of transfer fee for each of them).

I do think that for the most part teams want to use the full mandatory TAM in the winter to in essence increase their salary cap as they buy the TAM signings down to the $150K salary charge. At 1.2 million that's essentially 3 TAM signings (or re-signings) a year. Probably the best example from last year is SJ who signed Hoesen, Hyka, and Jungwurth to guaranteed money just north of 500K which triggered their TAM status.

I wouldn't be shocked if NYCFC did the same with at least Matarrita and Tinnerholm and also at least one of Berget, Ofori, and/or Tajouri.

It'll be interesting to see how much the Galaxy have to pay (and who) for the spot for Zlatan (it looks like they don't have a spot currently). LAFC will also need one for Horta in the summer and another one will be used by Minn with Quintero. That leaves 15 or so empty spots.

It also shows how much of a rush job/unexpected getting Ofori was and how much they presumably like him.

Not that it really matters, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they've burned through the first $1.2 million in TAM already since they presumably have to tell the league how much they are using for the winter signings by the March 1 compliance date. That would give them give themselves as much salary cap space for the summer.
Speaking of playing for LA, I don’t get why people love LA so much. Granted I never lived there. But other than the rodeo drive where they shot the movie pretty woman, the most parts are not well kept. Especially where they do the Oscar red carpet, worse than our Times Square here. Traffic is always bad there too. I probably only scratched the surface and there are pockets of elite enclaves I am sure are super nice.