Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Saunders

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
Mix was my MOTM. He was all over the field, disturbing the Fire midfield and getting back to help.

TMac was obviously very, very good in the attack. He's quite dangerous in the final third. I don't like when he has the ball in midfield so much, and all you can say about his defense is that he tries hard.

Matarrita looks to be very, very good, and not just in that typical LA, caution be damned, I'm attacking all out, all the time way. Obviously, his time with and in CR seems like it has afforded him a fair bit of maturity and decision making nous. I think he will be one that is hard to hold. I could see him having a couple of good years here and moving on to a Spanish club that competes for Europe.

Villa had a fairly non-descript, if not outright mdeiocre performance. I don't know why he can't seem to finish 1v1s. That is anhead scratcher. I also thought he was a little selfish around the box a time or two, but I think that's just part of the player he is.

Everyone gave 100%, and I don't know that I ever felt that way last year, so many compliments to PV.

Bravo looks to have something to give this year. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Get Mena back, ASAP. This was the sort of game where he'd be a real difference maker.

Frank who? Not sure where he fits on the team right now.

Hernandez is still very bad.

Best thing about today, other than the win: no AJ90 to be seen. For that, I will always be grateful.
I couldn't agree more. TMac will probably be voted the MOTM in these votes and he was very good but Mix was great and all over the field. Mix is going to have a much better season. I also really liked the little bit that I saw of Bravo and I hope he can be a difference maker for the club.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Great way to start the season! some scrappy moments but hey a win is a WIN. In a few months not many will remember how ugly or beautiful it was.

Most things have been said already. Playing a high line wasn't a good idea. PV might have underestimated the MLS speed. Lots of good, some bad. Our defense was surprisingly very bad. Saunders wasn't good. If this is our starting point though, things are looking good. We played at a higher skill level except our backs. This is a game we would've lost last year. Next weeks gonna be crazy. Can't wait.

Mix was great end to end, meaning 1st minute to 90 as well as line to line.
TMAC did his thing. Agree he's better in forward third than anywhere else. Love the Fat Messi nickname from the shoutbox.
Matarrita is quality.
Loved what I saw from Taylor, and pleased with Shelton. He's still best running fast and strong and directly at goal. His touch still needs work but that was a nice bit of tap work on the goal after he ran over the keeper.
Liked what I saw from Lopez. Wasn't expecting to see him at all, I'm predisposed to like the kid no matter what I think, so I was glad to see positive stuff to justify it, especially when he was back to help on D. If he were 4 inches taller I would consider playing him on the back line when we are thin like this.
Tentatively happy with Bravo; really need to see more to be sure.
Other new nicknane: Frederic "NotSo" Brillant.
Fun to watch.

The beginning of Mix's transition to team quarterback and future captain. The signs of a team that can and will produce goals from all over the XI. The evidence that PV's brilliance will be put to the test balancing the personnel and formation to avoid a hat trick each game from speedy tens. A fun and promising way to start the season.

I guess I'll be the only one to defend brillant. The one where he was pickpocketed, I put on Saunders for another slow roller pass that allows the forward to close. Zing that shit like eirik does. He stopped more than one goal tracking back. It was Hernandez that kept everyone onside and Sucks so bad on the ball. Hernandez is the new kwame.brillant is fine.

Brilliant had a horrible game, even White played better. Hernandez was mediocre but he caused us an offsides call a few times.

Mattarita (22) was exciting to watch , he reminds me a lot of Angelino (69) !!

Our offensive was solid and actually I prefer having the midfield that we had today (Mix , Pirlo, T-Mac) than seeing Lamps in that role. Lamps should be an impact sub once we have the small lead or are tied.

Taylor looked fantastic all preseason and did not disappoint today!

Villa on the other hand struggled... Where as Shelton found the back of the net but we could argue that he challenged the defense where he could of passed / crossed.

Overall a fantastic start to the season... Just get Hernandez and Brilliant out

I guess I'll be the only one to defend brillant. The one where he was pickpocketed, I put on Saunders for another slow roller pass that allows the forward to close. Zing that shit like eirik does. He stopped more than one goal tracking back. It was Hernandez that kept everyone onside and Sucks so bad on the ball. Hernandez is the new kwame.brillant is fine.
I still didn't love Brillant overall, but agree that goal was on Saunders at least as much as him.

I still didn't love Brillant overall, but agree that goal was on Saunders at least as much as him.

Don't understand why Saunders is playing that ball with his weak foot to a player that has no options but playing it back or kicking it long. Both are at fault for that goal but Saunders really needs to see that his three players around the 18 are all being man marked by Chicago

Absolutely horrendous defending. Zero grit in the midfield and brain dead morons in the back line. Three points is nice, but we needed four goals to beat the worst team in the league.

At least the attack looked infinitely more fluid than last season. But I worry Lampard is going to ruin that.

Reactions: Kjbert
Thank you!

I was coming on here to write the same thing. Honestly, anybody that's blasting Brillant today either doesn't know what to look for from the other players on the field or just want to be the first to condemn the guy. Saunders may have been told to pass out of the back, but he probably wasn't told to wait for Chicago to get in position and then telegraph&slow roll it to Brillant. That was setting the guy up to fail. Then there was journeyman Hernandez. The guy is snail slow, held numerous attackers onside, and never bothered to cover behind Brillant when he was running step for step with Acaam - even the commentators mentioned JH wasn't helping out. If those two didn't leave Brillant dangling, we wouldn't have given up more than a goal.

That said, our D today was not even close to our starting D. Iraola being out moved White from his CB pairing with Brillant and put White in a less familiar spot. Then enters Hernandez and there's no continuity between Brillant and Mataritta. It sure wasn't pretty, but considering only two of the four were playing their normal spots Im not surprised.

Please do yourselves a favor and don't start claiming the sky is falling after this game. It's not. Hopefully by next week Iraola is back which will get the right guys in the right positions, and more importantly we have to hope Lurch gets a run out.

#mobilepost

Great game and our offense is really exciting. I can see us scoring a lot of goals this season.

My question is where does Poku fit into the lineup? I would not have guessed before the kickoff that he wouldn't see the field. We have a lot of great offensive players, but still feel he is the type of talent that needs to be playing.

Shout out to Ryan's Daughter! First time there and they were great hosts, will definitely be going back for away games.