Nycfc V Columbus Crew - Postgame

Kreis is now just looking to get fired. That's why we blasted his own players so publicly. Why would someone like Poku play for Kreis when he will just get benched at the first opportunity? R.I.P. Jason Kreis 2015-2015

Mullins played well... he was the focal point in the second half until he got subbed. Had a few opportunities that were just a little off. Very active and held up the ball well.

Was anyone more surprised about that first goal than Andrew Jacobson??? When Jacobson is the Player of the Match you know its been a bad day.
I called the Kreis is trying to get fired a while back. Yes, I like to congratulate myself. It gives me solace when I root for a team managed by a saboteur.

I'll bet you any reasonable amount of money, barring injury or a lateral or better move, you're wrong. I'll escrow it right now.

He's a fine forward for MLS. What are you exactly finding wrong with his play? Can you point to a clip? I can show you 15 where he was very good.

You know all the times people were finding space 25 yards from goal? Mullins was helping win the ball, then making runs to pressure the Crew defense and force them to turn away from the ball. He was no small part of Mix and Villa finding space. Unfortunately, Villa just didn't quite have it today or Mix/Mulins would have had a couple of assists, at least, between them.

Anyway, I'm already defending someone whose play doesn't require it, and I said I wouldn't do it.

Mullins can play for my team any day. Kreis wouldn't be allowed to coach it, though.
I 100% agree, Mullins will only get better and he's doing good Imo already, he creates and he has third most goals on the team in the small number of minutes he's played

Ok maybe I was a little harsh on him being out of the league in 4 years but I guarantee you he won't be with NYCFC after next year, unless he improves big time. Dude this kid was an up and comer with NE and they left him unprotected, after showing some flash in a few game with NE. Now that I have seen every minute of his time with NYCFC the kid brings nothing to the table, did you see his lack of vision to hit Villa with the pass? Did you see the lack of instincts to gravitate to the goal when Lampard hit that hard ground cross? Instead he just stayed near the 6 yard line.....he lacks any dribbling skills. He has good height, but the dude really is NOTHING SPECIAL. His shot is all over the place....sure he plays hard and that is great but to act like the kid is something special is utterly ridiculous.
Who else was NE going to leave unprotected? They are one of the deepest teams in the league. They in essence had to let go of him, Fagundez or Rowe. And they let him go because of Davies and Agudelo.

He's a good player for the money. In MLS, that's pretty important last I checked.

Who else was NE going to leave unprotected? They are one of the deepest teams in the league. They in essence had to let go of him, Fagundez or Rowe. And they let him go because of Davies and Agudelo.

He's a good player for the money. In MLS, that's pretty important last I checked.
Help me understand, which point are you trying to make? That Mullins is a very good player and the fact that JK hasn't played him much this year or has taken him off during inappropriate times, is a big reason why we suck or that Mullins is a MEH player, cheap player that every team in MLS should have?

I can't wait until next March. That seems so far away. Ughhhh. Such a long layoff.

I hope we get some good results to keep us all feeling good into the offseason, but I wouldn't count on it.

Major credit to the crowd. 30k plus on a great Saturday on one of the last weekends of the summer in NYC is no small feat. Well done. I did scan two tickets, so I know they were off by one. ;)

A few random thoughts on the game:

-The team continues to leak "easy" goals due to individual mistakes, which must be so frustrating for the players. Love Pirlo, but his lack of marking on Higuain's goal was Lord Kwame bad. Inexcusable, if he didn't understand the system, then learn it, if he fell asleep, then even worse. And why is Pirlo defending Higuain there? Not like Higuain is one of their key offensive threats or anything.

-I can't believe I am going to sound like Kreis here, but the team got much worse with the Lampard to Poku sub because Poku played way too high and basically gave Will Trapp the keys to the car. Columbus was easily winning possession and Trapp was spraying the ball left and right with quick movement. The Mullins - TMac sub also took out Mullins quality pressing and hold up play, after that NY was lucky to see the ball. Bad changes but give CLB credit for moving the ball quickly, creating space on the flanks - they are well coached.

-Lampard was pretty invisible today, maybe he is gaining fitness but he didn't even show any flashes of being a $6MM DP. At least you see multiple of those a game from Villa and Pirlo. He better find it soon or he will quickly be on all those "worst MLS DP lists" in permanent ink soon.

-Saunders is still a replacement player to me. And his distribution stinks. I saw one good save today but he could have done better on the second goal.

-Iraola and Angelino are defensive liabilities (and Angelino actually made a couple of recoveries today). If they are such a trainwreck defensively, why not play them as wing backs in a 3-5-2 and at least be stronger on the middle of the field? Those guys playing high pulls the CBs out and well, Pirlo is not Kyle Beckerman in there to clean things up.

-Congrats to Jacobsen on his goal, I laughed out loud when it went in, as clearly the defensive players on CLB didn't respect him to shoot from there. Guess a broken clock is right twice a day.

-Speaking of Jacobsen, if he "has" to be on the field for his defensive skills, why the heck is he playing HIGHER on the field than Pirlo? I know Pirlo sits deep in his traditional role, but we don't have the horses around him, so move him up and put AJ and Mix (yes play Mix centrally) behind him.

-The hate on Mullins is a bit much. Actually to win in MLS you need to play your kids. I know it's not the NY way, but the team could have behaved like a traditional expansion team and played Poku, Mullins, TMac, Shelton (if not injured) and started to gain chemistry between these young players. This is the difference between NY and the established teams.

-I know patience is needed, but it's going to be nice to get some payback once NY figures it out. Hope they play out the string and make some smart(er) player decisions going forward.

I don't understand the Mullins hate. Maybe if he had been getting minutes all season he would be firing on all cylinders at this point in the season. It seemed like a confidence issue, something that could improve with time (which we don't have this season).

I can't figure out what lineup works with our roster, or who exactly should be starting, and I am surely not a tactician, but this was the first game I didn't find the choice of substitutions dreadful (even though I thought the substitutions were not on point). I wish this had happened in April/May instead of August

Reactions: Kjbert and Gavin23
Mullins is a decent, young player with some potential. I don't see him starting for any other team other than us and don't know if he is the solution for us going forward, but I see him being a great squad player who has a decent career in MLS and deserves to continue playing for the remainder of the season.

The game was very weird. We looked decent in the first half and responded well to the first goal, but we were completely flat in the second, even before their goal. The coach has very few responsibilities once the game starts, but how do we go into half with momentum and then come out so horribly in the second half, a good coach motivates a team fighting for playoffs with a great home crowd to push on and win.

There are definitely a lot of players below Mullins on the depth chart in terms of forwards. Nemec, Khiry, Taylor. Yeah Khiry and Taylor have been out most of the season, but I think he's better.

Mullins hate is a classic attribute of Kreis-itus. Kreis-itus is the irrational belief that Kreis can do no wrong and sufferers of this affliction go to whatever lengths necessary to defend and protect their lord and savior #thegenius. Even if it means scapegoating everyone else on the pitch.

"I can’t be at my best, I’ve only trained for days, rather than weeks,” Lampard said. “This is a perfect break for me to get some good training in for two weeks.”

You could have trained for months if you were here in January you fucking wanker.

YES! I don't know what angers me more, that statement or the coaching staff's decision to start him on such an important game knowing that. No matter how we looked when Poku subbed in, we'll never no how Poku could have looked if he had the chance to start today.

bottom line is, this team has major deep rooted problems and whether Mullins started every game or not, or barely playing, we still would suck.

I have seen a lot of different opinions on our roster. One thing I'm sure of is that we have a lot of younger players with heart and potential to do great things. This season there is NO cohesion to our play. We have a roster that should have been able to contend better than it has, but can't pull it together. Sometimes it looks like more like a pickup game with some good individual performances versus an actual team. In the end the coaching staff needs to take responsibility and realize their vision for the team is more like mirage right now. Changes need to be made for next year, maybe from the top down. That being said, the atmosphere today was awesome! Sellout crowd and supporters like no others! Proud to be here and can't wait to see whats in store for next season.

Last edited:
Help me understand, which point are you trying to make? That Mullins is a very good player and the fact that JK hasn't played him much this year or has taken him off during inappropriate times, is a big reason why we suck or that Mullins is a MEH player, cheap player that every team in MLS should have?
I think Mullins, Rowe and Fagundez are all good to potentially very good players. NE had two forward options, so they locked up Fagundez and Rowe and let go of Mullins.

You're being a little obtuse. I presume intentionally, but I don't understand why it is important to beat on Mullins. He has been a consistent contributor when he's had minutes. That's more than most anyone on our roster except 2-3 other guys.

Idk. Maybe I'm watching something different. If we are playing a 4-3-3...then Mullins needs to either hold and let the wings cut or play in front and the wings make trailing runs. He did neither. I thought he was good, but that's it. Mix had a really good game, but he gets to a point where he doesn't know what to do with the ball....because he is not a friggin winger, actually I don't think he's an attacker to begin with...but that's just me. Speaking of Mix. He was playing more defense and deeper than AJ. Ya'll are gonna flame me and I hate beating up the only one who scored, but that was a fluke. He was good in the 1st, as were others. Except for his one shot in the 2nd...he did nothing that whole half. If this team is putting Jacobson as an attacking midfielder than we have no friggin business being in the playoffs. Which brings me to Pirlo, I don't know what JK or you guys think his game is. He's never been a defensive player. We have a soft back like, fullbacks that don't stay back and you want him to be the only defensive midfielder out there? You had Lampard attacking, AJ attacking and only Pirlo and two soft CBs back there. Not defending the guy, but what do you expect. He's useless in this team if nobody is gonna make runs off the ball. We've seen it before, we play a nice stretch and then go into a shell. The whole 2nd half everyone off the ball just watched. I like T-Mac, but he looks spent and out of shape. Poku didn't have that same swagger, Villa would rather shoot falling down backwards off his left than pass and Pirlo has nobody to pass to so he just launches it forward. The players have lost faith in each other and JK had lost control of the team. He's made too many personnel, tactical and formation changes that the players must think he has no clue. We aren't making the fucking playoffs so pick a formation and starting 11 and stick with it for the rest of the season you asshat. Get some god damn continuity.

Yeah, that's me. I'll probably be in my long sleeve black Poku next game. Black to symbolize the death of our season, Poku because POKU!!! I'm always talking to the players. Getting the kids around me into the heckling spirit. I'll try and sneak you a bag next game. Security doesn't like people passing stuff up though.
Whoa!?!?! what is this free water and peanuts business???

Reactions: FootyLovin
Idk. Maybe I'm watching something different. If we are playing a 4-3-3...then Mullins needs to either hold and let the wings cut or play in front and the wings make trailing runs. He did neither. I thought he was good, but that's it. Mix had a really good game, but he gets to a point where he doesn't know what to do with the ball....because he is not a friggin winger, actually I don't think he's an attacker to begin with...but that's just me. Speaking of Mix. He was playing more defense and deeper than AJ. Ya'll are gonna flame me and I hate beating up the only one who scored, but that was a fluke. He was good in the 1st, as were others. Except for his one shot in the 2nd...he did nothing that whole half. If this team is putting Jacobson as an attacking midfielder than we have no friggin business being in the playoffs. Which brings me to Pirlo, I don't know what JK or you guys think his game is. He's never been a defensive player. We have a soft back like, fullbacks that don't stay back and you want him to be the only defensive midfielder out there? You had Lampard attacking, AJ attacking and only Pirlo and two soft CBs back there. Not defending the guy, but what do you expect. He's useless in this team if nobody is gonna make runs off the ball. We've seen it before, we play a nice stretch and then go into a shell. The whole 2nd half everyone off the ball just watched. I like T-Mac, but he looks spent and out of shape. Poku didn't have that same swagger, Villa would rather shoot falling down backwards off his left than pass and Pirlo has nobody to pass to so he just launches it forward. The players have lost faith in each other and JK had lost control of the team. He's made too many personnel, tactical and formation changes that the players must think he has no clue. We aren't making the fucking playoffs so pick a formation and starting 11 and stick with it for the rest of the season you asshat. Get some god damn continuity.
I agree with every single one of your points. Quite a few of us have been complaining about AJ playing damn near CAM instead of covering Pirlo.
It's not the 1st time the team has looked disinterested and at some point, that on the coaches if they've quit on him.
During the offseason, CFG has to cut the deadweight like a cancer and get better players (young, tireless and fast). We 're the slowest team in the league. Their DP choices have to be Giovinco or Dos Santos type players now. Guys who can be game changers in MLS and still have at least 4-5 years left in the tank.
Silver Lining: We've been through so much bullshit, Lampardgate, being an expansion team, getting other people's garbage, inept coaching (Kreisms) etc yet so far we're just outside the playoff door. I personally doubt we'll make it but we'll be better next year. So cheer up pigeons.