Nycfc V Dc Postgame

I love you all, great win by the boys tonight. Let's finally hope we can take off to finish the season strong and hopefully play the redbulls in the playoffs. I can just see it now and then we can shove this 3 game sweep BS they have been spewing since sunday up their cans. I off to play some FIFA. PEACCEEEEEEEEEEE

Such an awesome second half, honestly was not expecting to win that one after the way we played the first.

Really? Kreis should be begging Poku to start...

It is stuff like this that makes me think Kreis and who ever is giving him advice are a bunch of potatoes.

tumblr_mmpsaxOzkp1spm7bzo1_500.gif

Kreis even said during the postgame that Poku is the player that gets into the game late. I think Kreis just doesn't like Poku, as a person.

Also, Shay Facey will be suspended versus Columbus to due yellow card accumulation. Shit.
Hernandez Mena isnt a bad option to try to stop Kamara. If he has to miss a game this might be a good one for Facey to sit.

Great game. Not impressed by DC Their Hamid and a bunch of luck it seems.

Pirlo with an assist at both ends. The brilliance of the Villa set up in the 2nd is why we'll happily live with the lackadaisical at times that lead their goal in the 1st.

Poku brilliant nuff said

Villa solid would have had at least one more against most keepers in this league

Thought Facey had another solid game lost in the shuffle as the attack will always catch the eye more than the defense.

Yeah Kreis has made a lot of fuck ups, but really? After a big win like this rather than enjoy and celebrate you guys want to expend your energy on bitching? It's not a night for Joy Division or The Smiths? Cheer up you sad Emo bastards ! ;)

A few thoughts on random subjects.

Poku - What an amazing story he is this season. We signed this guy from the Atlanta Silverbacks of the NASL where he played one year. Before that, he played for an NPSL team - our 4th division. He only scored 2 goals for the Silverbacks, so it's not like he was tearing up the league. Whatever shit people want to give our scouting team for the mistakes they've made, give them credit for this one. He not only has great speed and physicality, but he's starting to show a lot of technical ability too. He's got a Green Card, so he doesn't count as a foreign player, and he's been in the U.S. long enough that if he gains citizenship, he can play for the USMNT. Plus, he is only 23.

Pirlo - After looking like the deity he was advertised to be against Orlando, he had two rather pedestrian games. The nadir came in this game, when his vollied back pass found an opponent on a dead run to the goal. He made a similar mistake against NJ, but this one cost us and put the team in an undeserved hole. Give the bearded one credit. From that point on, he played like a man possessed. His casual cool was replaced with a real sense of urgency, and his effort on both sides of the ball was terrific. His pass to Villa stands as one of the best I've ever seen, and he had several other great ones that were very close to the mark.

Mix - Another great effort. The man works hard. And how cool is it that he's emulating his idol and rocking the Pirlo beard. The announcers even got them confused.

Allen/Iraola - Good that Iraola got some time on the bench. He hasn't played up to his abilities and likely needed a lighter outing on a short week. Allen played well in the start, and I thought Iraola looked sharp once he came in.

Villa - A strong game. Better in possession. Had some chances that should have gone in. His effort in reaching Pirlo's pass and his skill in finishing it were absolutely first rate.

Defense - The defense overall was really terrific tonight. They could have done a better job marking on the one goal, but that's tough after such a bad turnover. Otherwise, solid.

Hamid - What can you say. Man of the match for DC for sure. This guy could be the future at GK for the USA. Get him some minutes soon.

Last edited:
That was a good game, and we played well throughout (which is all you can ask your team to do). I'll watch the DVR tomorrow but seeing it live I have to say our defense is much better. Both this match and last weekend Facey made a lot of good defensive plays, and it was good to see Pirlo make a number of good plays as well. He hustled back a number of times and played like a defender. It was good to see. Much better game than the last one.

It just felt like we were in it the whole time, never gave up, and took advantage of all our chances (even if they didn't all go in).

There was more than one draft. Im sure you didnt know that.

The coin tossed was fucked up (thus we lost out on Larin), we picked Dunn over Delgado (home grown, scoring for Toronto) only to waive Dunn later, Traded Zizzo (a striker who starts for Red Bulls) for another Keeper (4 fucking keepers) Fitzgerald who is short as hell and we also waived, Grella (starts for NJRB) trialed with us and we thought the New York native wasnt good enough so didnt sign him, he now scores for Red Bulls. Thats just of the top of my head.

Alvarez is Better than Ballouchy or Grabavoy, he didnt play him. We had Facey but he played Wingert over him instead and when he did play Facey in the beginning he played him out of position. He played Nemec more than Mullins in the beginning of the season (not to mention he had Poku) He didnt play TMac for almost half the season as well and he is now a team favorite. Also I would rank ballouchy a slight step above Grabavoy and Wingert.

He tried to force some stupid Kreis system on players who werent suited for it instead of building a system around the players he had.

Your out of your depth Stark and have no idea what your talking about.

Be careful to make judgements based on hindsight. People get things wrong, especially when you have all the pieces to put together.
It should be noted that after we picked Dunn, ELEVEN other teams passed on Marky Delgado. Sure, it looks bad now, but don't act like you knew back then what would happen. Also, don't over rate Delgado, who has scored two goals in MLS for Toronto this season.
I disagree with you about Alvarez, he has not impressed in his time and has had injury issues. While I won't argue for Ned, Mehdi Ballouchy was pretty solid in his last few appearances.
Facey is great, and now he has earned his spot. That is something that had to be figured out, and it got figured out.
Nemec was expected to be a solid striker at first, clearly we were proven wrong. Your pushing for Alvarez, mainly because of his pedigree I assume because he has not shown much here, but dispute starting Nemec with his pedigree.
While over the last month or so it has been a mystery, at first his Poku hesitation was clearly justified. If you saw him play in April and May, he did not have 90 minutes in him. In fact at times he looked gassed after 20' as a sub. He clearly has the fitness level now to play 90'. Another factor in that however is the management on the young guy's career. Sometimes it makes sense to make a guy work for his spot in the club and keep him working. Remember Poku came up from virtually nowhere very fast, that could get to a young kids head and stunt his development. At this point, Poku is a superstar and should play every minute possible, but his reluctance to play him early in the season made perfect sense.

I'm not saying that Kreis hasn't, and wont' continue to make mistakes. This is an expansion team with a bunch of players who were somewhere else playing with different players and under different systems last season. Not to mention during the course of the season we have picked up Pirlo, Lampard, Iraola, Angelino, Mena and others while having one of our key players (Mix) away with the nats for long periods of time. For these reasons, I've chosen to reserve any judgement on Kreis this season, instead of jump on him because the team looked like shit against Red Bull with 6 players in the lineup who were not with the team for too long.

The great managers around the world have a nucleus of players who have been with them for years, with constant tinkering of a new player here and there added into the mix. No Euro League managers have to put together an entire roster during the off-season with major constraints put on them by the league's awkward roster rules. Kreis is in a position that is difficult to deal with and has done just about as good as the other club in the same position (Orlando) despite having much less stability in his roster.

I think it's perfectly justifiable to point out the mistakes that have been made, but keep in context the situation. We are going to miss out on players in drafts and on trial. Hell, the entire world missed out on Poku! but we got him! It's also important to note that despite the hatred for Kreis on this forums, I have not seen any type of body language or heard any comments from players that would suggest that they have any disrespect for him. That's important.

Next season, we will have more stability. We will have a core of players who have been with the team (hopefully we can keep at least one of the ManC players) for over a season and the number of new additions and overall roster disruptions will slow down to a more manageable pace. If we are in a position like this next season, it will be easy to throw stones at Kreis, but it's unreasonable at this point in time. Especially after we win out the rest of the season and hoist MLS Cup!

#KreisIn

A thought for Jason Kreis...Big chances during the game.
1. 21' Villa's chance from a difficult angle is saved by Hamid.
2. 38' Villa's ball blocked on the goal line by Boswell. Assisted by Poku.
3. 50' Poku's chance saved by Hamid.
4. 51' TMac equalizes. Assisted by Poku.
5. 62' Villa's shot wide past Hamid. Assisted by Poku (he flicked it along...)
6. 64' Poku hits the post and goes wide.
7. 80' Villa's goal from the perfect pass from Pirlo.
8. 83' Villa's open chance from point blank range saved by Hamid. Poku incepts a pass and feeds Villa a great ball.
9. 88' Poku goal.

9 big chances during the game. 7 of them involved Poku. 78% of NYCFC's big chances involved Poku. It's not just coincidence.

Last edited:
A thought for Jason Kreis...Big chances during the game.
1. Villa's ball blocked on the goal line by Boswell. Assisted by Poku.
2. Poku's chance saved by Hamid.
3. TMac equalizes. Assisted by Poku.
4. Villa's shot wide past Hamid.
5. Poku hits the post and goes wide.
6. Villa's goal from the perfect pass from Pirlo.
7. Villa's open chance from point blank range saved by Hamid. Poku incepts a pass and feeds Villa a great ball.
8. Poku goal.

8 big chances during the game. 6 of them involved Poku. 75% of NYCFC's big chances involved Poku. It's not just coincidence.

After the game, I ran back through my Twitter feed. It was all "Poku this" and "Poku that". Nearly every single event in the 2nd half involved him in some way.

Game was amazing to be at. I will give my thoughts below but first I need to discuss our coach. He is an idiot. He finally played poku, villa, mix, tmac, and pirlo. Last time was the Orlando second half. The team made the right half time adjustments.

But I dknt know how anyone can justify him by saying see what he does in 2 years. Guy has a loaded starting lineup now after the transfer window. We don't win because of the coach, we win because of the talent. If anything, we overcome his deficiencies.

On to the game.

Bill hamid is a stud and should be he third goalie for US behind Timmy H and guzan.

Poku, wow. So many chances. He will only get better.

Pirlo did what he does best. Make no thrill passes. Controls possession and pace of the game and has a handful of beautiful long passes dropped on a dime.

Villa. Same as he has done all year. Scores and makes plays. Wish he had a better attitude towards his teammates but MJ was the same way. lebron too.

Thought mIx played very well on the wing which I still this is not his best position. I think he is best at the top of the diamond.

Angelino might be the best player at his age I have seen in a very long time.

Hernandez and facey played very well.

Jesus, Kreis still sucks...

Back